• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Tomatoes...

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
what is the deal? I keep reading conflicting advice on it.

Some articles/books say no tomatoes or sauces etc until 12months, others list them as acceptable. Same with strawberries. :shrug:

Kitten,my darling,here is what I am going to say to you--STOP READING!!!! :rofl:

We definitely definitely gave tomatoes and strawberries before 12 months,I think its a case of everything in moderation.I think they say be careful when giving them because they're something that small kids can be quite commonly allergic to so just keep an eye out for any kind of reaction (rash or anything) the first few times he tries them.xxxx

I also believe the reason they say to wait is because those are two common food allergies in kids, but Hannah had them before 12 months as well. We did end up finding that though she's okay with sauces she has a mild reaction (rash) to raw tomatoes. Our doctor told us she'd outgrow that

I didn't even know tomatoes were meant to be an issue! She's had loads of tomato based sauces with no reaction at all :D

Freya has had loads of tomatoes, in fact they are one of her favourite foods. If she sucks on one for ages she gets a bit red around the mouth, I should think due to the acid. Ok otherwise though :)

Yes acid on their stomach is a reason I've heard but I use passata in nearly all meals and was not looking forward to making him seperate meals!

Yeah I use chopped tomatoes in most things, and never had a problem, I guess they are a bit less acidic than a plain tomato too?

Poppy has had cooked tomatoes and been fine. Then she had a sandwich with a bit of raw tomato in it, and came up with a big rash over her mouth and hands....

Sofia loves tomatoes, but I noticed she doesn't want to eat them when her teeth are bugging her. She hasn't had any reaction/rash though.

Twins had home-made tomatoe soup last week and they loved it,no reaction at all.

They say 9 mths here, but we gave Ella tomatoes in cooked dishes a lot earlier than that with no issues. We've given her cherry tomatoes raw which she likes and has no issues with them either.

Oh and never heard about strawberries being bad - Ella loves them and has them every couple of days atm. VERY messy though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"