Tongue Tie anyone else's little one got this?

Babeonthego

Reaction score
Hey girlies,

I was just at the HV today with little monkey to get his 1 yr vacinations. The HV commented that he has tongue tie. She says it can sometimes affect babies with feeding however this has never been the case with Cole. She also says it can maybe affect their speech however I commented that he has in the past said mama, dada, nana sounds like that. I was just wondering if anyone else had any knowledge or experience of this? Im not worrying too much as I know he is developing just fine, I guess im looking for people whos kids maybe have this and it has not affected their speech?

Thanks

This runs in my family. =) My sister and I both have it, but hers was worse than mine so my parents got her a minor surgery. It was a day surgery done when she was around 4 or 5. I remember she felt really sleepy after, and puked grape juice on me in the car from the anesthetic, LOL. But otherwise, she was playing quietly that evening.

It never affected her speech or anything that I knew of, but they were concerned it could lead to choking some day? I'm not sure because my parents said she never had problems with it particularly, but they were worried they could develop.

For me, mine is just minor. I can't stick my tongue out at people very well and sometimes I scramble my words if I talk too fast like a lot of people do anyway, but that's about it. And the dentist mentioned that instead of my tongue touching the top of my mouth when I speak, it rubs against the back of my teeth which apparently people with certain accents do, lol. But it hasn't caused any serious damage or anything. No one would really be able to tell. ^^

i have experience of a little boy that attended the nursery I manage - his speech was ok as a baby, but as he got older and words and sounds were more complex and he needed to manipulate his mouth and tongue more it did become an issue. I wrote a letter to his doctor and teh doctor arranged the surgery - it was a huge success, very minor procedure and by the time he went to school his speech had caught up fine.

Good luck, dont worry about it though and play it by ear.
x

My son was born with tongue-tie, we had it snipped when he was 5 months old privately, no anaesthetic or pain killers or anything needed, we were in and out in 5 minutes! We decided to get it done before it caused any potential problems since it's such a simple op xx

Our DS had a significant tongue tie at birth. He talked fine and was quite ahead before his 1st birthday but is now quite behind only saying around 10-20 words and only 5/10 clearly.
He's been referred to a speech therapist (more for his tie than speech)

He gags on his food still at 2 and cannot blow raspberries or lick his lips

I had a significant tongue toe that was only picked up on by the dentist when I was 7. He recommended having it cut under GA as he said it could affect my teeth, or even tear the tie. I'm not convinced now, as I'd had no other problems before. It certainly never affected my speech, and I was breastfed until 18 months. The only thing was, I couldn't stick my tongue out (still can't!). I think it depends on the individual case.

My youngest daughter has TT..........she had no problems feeding, eating and doesnt shut up :haha: im not sure if its going to hinder her speech yet as she is still young and it could be developmental.....she says some words clearly but when she says whole sentences i sometimes have to ask her to repeat as i havent understood but again i do think this is more developmental.....its nothing to worry about.....since my LO was born with it i came a bit obessed with it and reserched it thorougly....even checking out peoples tounges when they talk and it just so happens one of my best friends has TT and i never knew, speaks fine and her son has it to and he has no problems at all. alot of children without TT have speech problems to x

my son has a tongue tie, my HV noticed it the 1st time she came to see him after he was born, wen i brought him for his 6 week check up, the doctor said unless it effects his eating (which it didnt and doesnt) or his speech,,,hes not speaking yet so i dont know, they tend to just leave it as it is, but if it does effect them they can get it sniped x

Thanks girlies for all ur advice, u have made me feel so much better about it and so far its definately not affectinf Cole. He eats like a horse hehe and blows raspberries etc and says mama and dada so i think it hopefully wont affect him in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"