Too many children ???

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by embeth, Oct 10, 2013.

1. embeth

embeth Mum to 4 perfect children

How many do u all consider too many? I took Jacob to his first baby sensory session yesterday. Was speaking to some women who were mostly first time mums and seemed in utter shock i have 3 children like it was so many! Also one of them seemed to presume I was upset that Jacob is my third boy and immediately asked if I would keep trying for a girl!!!:/

2. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Oh I hear you, some of us are quite happy that we don't have a "princess" and don't need to keep trying ;)

3 is normal to me although maybe the first-timers are still shell shocked that you dare do it again (and again) :rofl:

Too many? Well, I'd rather jump off a bridge than be Michelle Dugger. I'm done at 2 :)

3. embeth

I know it makes me feel quite protective of Jacob when people seem to think is rather he was a girl!
    Yes i don't think they were at the stage of imagining dealing with more than one just yet ;) it was quite amusing to see their face when I said we planned to have a 4th ;)

4. catty

catty Well-Known Member

Id say 2-3 is normal amount, 4 is alot but not crazy and where I live I dont no anyone with over 4 children so if someone was to say 5 id think wow thats ALOT

5. sbl

sbl Mum of 2

I dont think there's a right number in general its different for everyone.
    I would love to have 4 but I cant for medical reasons. My mum had 5, my granny had 8, my other granny 10. Dh's granny had 14!!
    Who's to say what right for another person.

My sister has 4 boys, never to my knowledge had a desire to have a girl. She did get the old "Aw another boy" look from people but she didn't care.
    She prefers boys but she does love dressing my lo up!

6. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

3 would be our limit but I don't see us having more than 2.

My sister has 7.

7. Eleanor ace

Eleanor ace Well-Known Member

I'd say if you have more than you can give ample time and attention to, and afford, then that's too many. Some people would feel they have too many children if they have 1, others could go to 20 and still feel they have room for more. It's so subjective.
    I'd like 4, but 3 will be our max (and that's only if I can convince DH!). When I tell people I'm hoping for one more I often get "why? you already have one of each :crazy:?" My children are more than just genitals lol!

8. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Blessed with no.2!

I would like 3 but think 4 maybe a better number, but not in a practical sense! :wacko: but we could yet stay with 1!

I don't think it's how many, but the reason that woman have so many children, thinking along the lines of super families who have 12 plus children. Maybe some women and men feel more fulfilled when have more babies! we have a cousin who has 8! that too many for me you simply can't have enough time and attention? I think it's unfair for older siblings to take on a parenting role so more babies can be had x

9. CT125

CT125 Mum and growing #2

I'm one of three so that seems 'normal' for me, but still too many for me, if that makes sense. I can't see me having any more after this one, but I think 5+ is 'a lot' in this day and age

10. embeth

Its strange 5 just seems so much more than 4 for some reason! 4 is the limit for me for sure, even if i wanted more after that i wouldn't let myself. My friend has 7...crazy!

11. JessyG

JessyG cautiously pregnant #1

1 is quite enough for me but i think 2 or 3 is fairly 'normal' 7 to me sounds like torture but that may be because i am too selfish for that.

12. overcomer79

overcomer79 LT-TTC success 3.5yrs

It seems that 3 is common now? When we got married, we said "2 maybe 3" but when dd came we said she was our last. We decided that we could afford another one so during one of the most difficult times of my life (loosing dad) we started ntnp. 3 weeks after my father passed, we found out about baby number 3. This will be our completion. For one, I refuse to be pregnant after 35 and 2 3 is the max our budget will allow.

13. kaths101

kaths101 Well-Known Member

I would say 2/3 was 'normal'. I would never say to someone they had too many as that is a very personal choice but to me 4+ children seems alot.
    i imagine if you have 4 any more after that doesn't make much difference :haha:

2 is my limit, I might have considered a third if I had the finances.. I would need a bigger house and car for starters!

14. embeth

I guess is cos me and hubby are one of 4 so iv just decided that is the number ;) also think it would be nice for Jacob to have a sibling closer in age x

15. Joss_Taylor

Joss_Taylor Well-Known Member

We have room for 5 but DH said no more then 4! I would be okay having 5 but I think we'll be perfectly content with 4. Either way if we have more than 3 well have to buy a bigger vehicle lol. I don't know if there's a specific number that's too many. As long as you can support them financially and give them all the love they need I suppose there is no number. Personal i look at 4/5 being a good number for us but basically leave it up to God. If LO is the only child were able to have I suppose that's the number we were meant to have. I guess it's the individuals preference and beliefs but it's nobody else place to judge. And if we were to have all boys I'd be alright with that, I'd like a girl but I've got a 7 year old sister and I'm not sure i want to deal with a hormonal teenage girl lol.

16. LoolaBear

LoolaBear 3 On Earth 1 in Heaven

i was brought up with the saying from my grandma 4 hands to hold 4 knees to sit on so for me four is the maximum so anything above that seems a little OTT to me but each to their own x

17. optimistic1

optimistic1 Mommy, Daddy, and Nadia!!

There was a family on the news that just has their 13th son..they just keep trying for a girl. Now that is way too many kids.......how do you even support that many financially!? The older kids probably have to work and help support the younger ones and I think that is sad.

I think 3 is the perfect amount. I will probably only have 2 though....babies are super expensive!!!

18. jessicatunnel

jessicatunnel Well-Known Member

I go through phases. I'm one of three and sometimes think that is too many! We've agreed to stop at two and think that is perfect. But sometimes I think maybe I would like 3? Four is definitely too many for me! My bil has four and I just couldnt imagine taking care of four children.

19. chezababy

chezababy New mummy to baby girl

I think once older children are needing to help with chores and looking after younger children then you have had too many. I'm one of 5 but with only 3 siblings close in age. I think 3 is my max because being one of 4 all close in age was hard and I never got on with my siblings when I was younger because of that. And for me having a large age gap doesn't solve the problem because I had a much younger brother I had to take care of because my mum got ill. I can't imagine only having one so for me it will be 2 or 3 depending on finances and what feels right.

20. jd83

jd83 Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

I think its pretty subjective. Personally, too many for me would be more than 3. But that's because we definitely couldn't afford more than 3, and I don't think I would be able to give the time and attention properly to more than 3 kids. We only have 2, and I'm not sure if we'll have another eventually, but if we do, it would definitely be it for us. No more than 3 for us.

Having said that though, I know several families that have 4 and 5 kids, and they seem to manage great with it. I'm always kind of in awe of how they manage finances, etc for that many kids, but honestly they are probably just way better budgeters than I am and have much less student loan debt, lol.