Too many children ???

I think its pretty subjective. Personally, too many for me would be more than 3. But that's because we definitely couldn't afford more than 3, and I don't think I would be able to give the time and attention properly to more than 3 kids. We only have 2, and I'm not sure if we'll have another eventually, but if we do, it would definitely be it for us. No more than 3 for us.

Having said that though, I know several families that have 4 and 5 kids, and they seem to manage great with it. I'm always kind of in awe of how they manage finances, etc for that many kids, but honestly they are probably just way better budgeters than I am and have much less student loan debt, lol.

Student loans are really a doozy. DH already paid his off and my goal is to have mine paid off in a couple years. It does take a whole lot of budgeting to really get that debt knocked down lol

I'm one of six, so that's a 'normal' amount to me...perhaps that's why us stopping at two seems like we're not done yet and I need a third...probably won't have a third, but it'll just seem odd. My auntie has 12 and that'd be too many for me but fine for them :)

I think for me it depends on when you start. I can't imagine having more than 4 if they're all 2-3yrs apart. But if we had started young, I quite like the idea of having 3 kids, each 2-3 years apart, waiting 6-7 years and then having 3 more with 2-3yr gaps. That would have been my dream fantasy life.

I found 1 to be too many, so anything more than 1 is definitely too many. (Obviously, not true to others, just for us)
I think a lot depends on how much you actually like the things.

Depends on the person. 3 for me would be too much and 4 is just crazy lol for ME. However some people love bigger families and that's great! It depends how much u can handle I guess and I'm not good with too much chaos. I have 2 kids and I'm struggling can't imagine one more. People say stupid shit all the time though. For ex we have 2 girls and when people ask what I had as my second they reply " oh it's ok, there's always next time" wtf? We actually wanted 2 girls I was praying it wasn't a boy as I wanted dd to have a sister desperately.

I was in Costco one day with my 3 kids and my 3-year-old ran in front of a woman's cart. She stopped short, and snarled at me, "Guess it's time to stop having 'em, huh??" I was both deeply hurt and really angry. I wanted to punch her in her sneering, bitter face... but then I stopped and thought about where that kind of meanness comes from. Who knows what has happened in her life that made her hate kids (or moms?) so much. I began to pity her. Anyone who reacts to my healthy, beautiful brood playfully giggling and enjoying daily errands with such negativity is truly a miserable human being.

The point is, 2 was my magic number. We had 3. 3 was going great, and SURPRISE #4 is on its way (I was on the pill.) My "magic number" has changed over and over. Each time we adjust, and it becomes perfect. I agree with the PP who said that the perfect amount is how many you can give enough love, time, attention and resources to. We can handle 4, so perhaps we were meant to have that many? I absolutely understand the desire to stop at 1, and the desire to go on to have 6 or more. If one of those women's lovely children run in front of me in the grocery store when I'm 60, PLEASE God, let me smile.

I don't think there is too many ever, it depends on alot of things, your mental ability to deal with so many kids, finances, your lifestyle, and what you plan, for instance I know I won't be getting each of my kids a new car, they might get a used on or hand me down as a graduation gift because I want more kids than I can buy new cars for lmao

I was in Costco one day with my 3 kids and my 3-year-old ran in front of a woman's cart. She stopped short, and snarled at me, "Guess it's time to stop having 'em, huh??"

Holy crap, if there ever was a criminal court defense of "I just had to slap a bitch!', that would be it!!! :)

for me 1 is the perfect number. It's working out for us rigtht now and most likley in the future so any more is too many for us.

I don't know anyone around us with more than 2 kids.

I know of several people with 5, one with 8, another with 9.....I have 4. Each to their own, but to judge on how many children a person has I think is wrong!

My SIL best friend is about to have her 9th!

Two is the magic number for us. No more, don't think I could go through another newborn phase. If I'm honest I'm not one of these women who found the transition from one to two children easy, this year has been wonderful but such bloody hard work! X

maybe it's just hard for them to imagine having that many more when they've just become first time moms not too long ago, I know I felt that way after my DD was born, and all throughout her first year, I think a lot of it has to do with the shock factor as well as the big adjustment. For me, going from 0-1 was extremely difficult, but now that I've had my 2nd, I can totally see us having a 3rd. 3 seems to be the average for a lot of families anyway, I grew up in a family with 3 kids, and most of my friends have 3 children.

It's such an individual thing I would never comment on someone's family size (although I happen to think an only child is the 'strangest' choice of all) for want of a better phrase. I'm planning 3 or 4. As long as the family can love and support them I don't see why it's anyone's business

Well my mum has 6 kids lol id like maybe 4 or 5 as grew up with 4 siblings and the youngest sister came along just 9 months ago lol

I personally feel that people should have as many or as little children as they want without being looked at and judged. If you can love and support them...go for it. I have 5 my kids are 18, 13, 11, 1 and 1 month and I have gotten many comments such as "your crazy" " god bless you" "better you than me" etc...I love love love having my big family and wouldnt trade it in for the world :)

I know of several people with 5, one with 8, another with 9.....I have 4. Each to their own, but to judge on how many children a person has I think is wrong!

I don't think anyone commenting on here is judging anyone else for having more than they would be comfortable having; most have been giving their personal opinion of how many would be too many for themselves.

But you are right, the judgemental comments some hear when out in public with their kids are rediculous!

I know quite a few large families with 6-10 children. I used to babysit for family with 7 girls all exactly 2 years apart then finally a boy - the mum has been having babies for nearly 22 years of her life.

but I think it all subjective - I look at there family and no way I could do it - but they all love it.

as long you are physically, mentally and financial able to have kids and they are all loved and provided for then whose to say too many.

Did you watch the Channel 4 program 16 kids and counting. some of them families were crazy in my eyes as I simply don't think I could be pregnant that many times.

I think its more about the time you have to give rather than a set amount. I think for now, 3 will be it for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->