TOO much Iron/Folic Acid causing blue fingernails?!

Tnw2595

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here, although I've been lurking for quite some time, getting some helpful tips during my tww. I'm 7dpo, by the way :)

A few weeks ago I began taking a high dose of Folic Acid daily (to increase my stores in a short amount of time), 65mg of Iron daily, and 1000mcg of B12 once a week. Today I suddenly noticed my fingernails were blue, something that is unusual for me. Could taking any of these vitamins cause me to have blue fingernails or is something else up?

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Is it possible you're anaemic? Maybe a trip to the doctors might be in order?

It's possible, but this only started happening after taking the vitamins. I'm not certain whether I should up the dosage or lessen it at this point

Ooh that is strange. I've never heard of folic acid causing that, only a lack of iron. I've been on prescribed iron before so a very high dose and never had that issue.

I get blue fingernails and I've just been told I'm anemic. Haven't started iron yet. You might want to get your iron levels checked again.

You shouldnt self medicate vitamins u can have side effects some can turn skin colour and evem damage your eye sight so i would go to a normal dose and see a doc

I take a very high dose of folic acid & have for 6-7 months (a super B complex actually, so a lot of B vits) and I've never had any side effects at all. I'd be concerned about blue finger nails!
I don't know about iron though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm no doctor but 65mg of iron sounds like overdosing! Unless you mean elemental iron? If not, a quick search on google shows the recommended daily intake is 17-19mg for women over 19. I am anaemic, and am prescribed only 30mg of iron a day.
Please talk to your doctor before continuing with such a large dosage.
Excerpt from webmd https://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-912/iron
"For adults, the RDA for iron is 8 mg/day for men ages 19 and older, and women ages 51 and older. For women 19 to 50 years, the RDA is 18 mg/day. For pregnant women, the RDA is 27 mg/day. For breast-feeding women, the RDA is 10 mg/day for ages 14 to 18 years, and 9 mg/day for ages 19 to 50.

Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (UL), the highest intake at which no unwanted side effects are expected, for iron are: infants and children birth to age 13, 40 mg/day; people age 14 and older (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), 45 mg/day. UL recommendations do not apply to people under medical supervision for iron deficiency."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->