Too Skinny?

Teafor2

Reaction score
I was watching a food video by a nutritionist today which happened to mention that if you are ttc your bmi should be between 22 and 24, which is 140-145 lbs for a 5’ 6” female.

I’m 5’6” and I weight about 20 lbs less than this and I’m wondering if it could be affecting my fertility. I don’t restrict my diet at all, and eat what I want, although I also weight train a few days a week and walk or bike 2 km each direction to work daily. I have a generally healthy diet and cook the majority of my meals at home. I never thought weight would be a problem since I consider myself and my relationship with food healthy, even though my medical check classes me as underweight.

I know my mom had to gain about 15 lbs before she was able to get pregnant with me, so I’m wondering now if I should try to gain some weight.

Does anyone have any experience needing to gain weight to conceive? Or any other slimmer ladies have success with ttc? Just looking for other people’s experiences.

When I was pregnant with my first baby when I was 20 I weighed just under 7 stone, my height was 5ft 3 inches and was classed as under weight, I believe my BMI was around 15/16. I did eat, just not much, wasn't dieting or putting any strain on my body, and I got pregnant pretty easy, she wasn't planned, so I take that as easy anyway? I had the most healthiest pregnancy, the only thing was she was small born, 3 days over due and just 7lbs, but that was nothing to do with my eating habits or anything, it was purely because I was small myself! I came out of pregnancy at the end weighing 8 stone, and then had my second baby and only weighed 8st 5 at the end! And he was a chunky baby! Now on my 3rd and my starting weight was 9st 3 and has also going to be chunky.

So, I for me personally being underweight didn't effect fertility/pregnancy/health of baby ect, but I can see how it could affect it, if you were underweight due to poor eating habits and so on, I think it just depends on your metabolism, fitness, body type, also age!

When I was pregnant with my first baby when I was 20 I weighed just under 7 stone, my height was 5ft 3 inches and was classed as under weight, I believe my BMI was around 15/16. I did eat, just not much, wasn't dieting or putting any strain on my body, and I got pregnant pretty easy, she wasn't planned, so I take that as easy anyway? I had the most healthiest pregnancy, the only thing was she was small born, 3 days over due and just 7lbs, but that was nothing to do with my eating habits or anything, it was purely because I was small myself! I came out of pregnancy at the end weighing 8 stone, and then had my second baby and only weighed 8st 5 at the end! And he was a chunky baby! Now on my 3rd and my starting weight was 9st 3 and has also going to be chunky.

So, I for me personally being underweight didn't effect fertility/pregnancy/health of baby ect, but I can see how it could affect it, if you were underweight due to poor eating habits and so on, I think it just depends on your metabolism, fitness, body type, also age!

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I have poor eating habits, this is just what my weight has been for the past 8 years or so. I think the highest it got was 58 kg and that’s when I was weight training a lot and eating around 2500 calories a day.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I have poor eating habits, this is just what my weight has been for the past 8 years or so. I think the highest it got was 58 kg and that’s when I was weight training a lot and eating around 2500 calories a day.
You are generally fit by the sounds of it so I don't think your weight would impact TTC, but obviously I'm so doctor or anything either

DS- 112lbs
Dd1- 125lbs
Dd2-135lbs
This baby- 150

So weight was no difference
Eta: I'm 5'4.

DD was 11 days early weighing 7 lbs. I was slightly overweight with this pregnancy.

DS was 11 days late and weighed 9 lbs 11½. I was slightly underweight during this pregnancy.

I actually got pregnant while trying to recover from anorexia. I'm 5'5" and weighed 90 lbs. The pregnancy was a total shock. I do think that I was just really lucky though bc my body was not in good shape. If you are healthy and fit, then I don't know why your weight would be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->