Too soon for gender??

wheelz23

Reaction score
Hello everyone. There is a freelance ultrasound studio (has great reviews) that takes ultrasounds for gender 14 weeks + (they do NOT tell us that it will be easy either and that it might be a few tries before they can really tell)
So, that being said. I am only 9w4d, and I know that is TOO soon. Personally I think 14 weeks is too soon, but my birthday is on week 16. I was just curious, how accurate would a 16 week scan be? I don't want to get told the wrong gender... My doctors office waits until 20-22 weeks, so I guess what I really want to know is should I just wait for the 20-22 week scan? This is my first baby, so I am just learning all this.

Thanks!

My MW tried to see when I was 13w6d. Looked like lines (vulva) for a quick moment, but the cord quickly slipped between the legs, and we lost the view. Darn it! So, we aren't convinced of any sex... but my MW is really good at sex determination. :) I found out at 16 weeks the last time at a routine visit, but it's a lot easier to tell early when there's a penis, as the vulva can still be swollen and look similar in early weeks. :) It was definitely obvious. I'd go for it!

16 is about the earliest any normal place would attempt to tell you. You do hear of sonographers being able to spot particularly boy bits at 12-13 weeks (happened with my nephew) but I would imagine there was a very high rate of error here (in fact he didn't even tell my sister it was a boy, just said he thought he knew but wouldn't say so early, then at 20 weeks he said yep knew it was a boy).

The general consensus is that you're much more likely at any point to get a false "girl" answer, as if they definitely see a penis it can be very unequivocal! But I will be waiting until as late as possible, at least 18 weeks, if I do decide to find out, because it's not accurate enough for me before then.

thanks ladies!!! 18 weeks seems to be a popular answer. :) I asked ovia as well! Maybe I'll set something up then... not sure! I'm so excited to be almost to the second trimester.

16 weeks should be pretty accurate unless they cannot get a clear picture. Most wait until 20 weeks because then it's pretty clear what your having

I am so excited! Either way. I just can't wait to love on the little human! Ah.

I've booked a gender scan for this Saturday I'll be 16+2 ��

With dd we booked a gender scan at 15 weeks and it was right!

Maybe you can call and ask what the % of their accuracy is at 13 and 14 weeks?
I just called the place I always go to for private screenings and they said that at 13 weeks it is 96% and 14 weeks it is 98% (this is exclusive to them). She also told me their policy for if they are wrong, but said in all honesty it happens very rarely.
My place has a ton of positive Google reviews, and from what I have read what she told me sounds accurate.

I just called the place I always go to for private screenings and they said that at 13 weeks it is 96% and 14 weeks it is 98% (this is exclusive to them). She also told me their policy for if they are wrong, but said in all honesty it happens very rarely.
My place has a ton of positive Google reviews, and from what I have read what she told me sounds accurate.

Hi:flower: I'm also in Ohio 30 minutes from Cleveland:winkwink:
I'm still very early, will be 5 weeks this Friday but hopeful because I had a loss in mid September. Just went for second betas today to make sure it's viable. I can't wait to find out gender later:thumbup:

I had a private scan with my dd at 16 weeks and was correct

The private u/s place by me does sex determination at 16w and double checks for free at 18w. :)

I'm still very early, will be 5 weeks this Friday but hopeful because I had a loss in mid September. Just went for second betas today to make sure it's viable. I can't wait to find out gender later:thumbup:

Hello! I am smack in the middle of Buckeye land, in Columbus. Congratulations on your pregnancy! The first trimester is the roughest time, imo, but keep the faith and keep us updated on how your pregnancy is going! :D

I've had more friends have their 16 week scan be wrong than right, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I'm hoping for a clear shot at 16 weeks as well. If they have a guarantee where they will rescan if they can't guess or are wrong, yes. Just also be careful. I hear freelance ultrasounds aren't as safe sometimes due to less regulations. So really vet this company.

Hello! I am smack in the middle of Buckeye land, in Columbus. Congratulations on your pregnancy! The first trimester is the roughest time, imo, but keep the faith and keep us updated on how your pregnancy is going! :D

My first beta one week ago was 5.91 today exactly one week later it is 651:happydance: they said it's a very good number:winkwink:
I'm excited!!!

I found out with DS at 15. Clear as day. But as someone else said, boys are easier ;)

16 weeks is fine. I had a fender scan at 16 weeks with my daughter and they got it right no problems :)

We found out boy at 13/14 weeks with my son and this time at 14 weeks girl with this one.
It can be done, but I'd take any gender scan at this point with a pinch of salt as it's super early.

My local private place does gender scans from 16 weeks. I have mine booked for 16+6. They do ultra HD 4D scanning too though so I suppose that helps to get a better look? If they aren't 100% sure they allow you back a week later for free. I was just over 17 weeks with DS and it was VERY obvious he was a boy.

I read that gender *can* be determined at 12 weeks, but that it's obviously very difficult then. But technically possible. I think post places wait until 20 weeks because it'll be more clear and more likely to be accurate.

I say give yourself the birthday treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->