Too young to say his first word??

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Connah'sMommy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Connah'sMommy

Connah'sMommy Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We were changing Connah earlier and he was babbling away like always but just recently,past week or so,i'v been saying 'dada' to him.

So i was saying 'dada' and pointing to OH and he just started saying 'dada dada'
    over and over again.

He stopped so to make sure it wasnt a fluke i said 'dada' again and he copied me!:happydance:

He wont shut up now though,OH keeps saying 'dada and Connah will copy him then stop until one of us says it again!

Half of me thinks he could be just babbling though and its a fluke but i hope its not!

So what do you guys think...Fluke or not???xxx

2. TennisGal

TennisGal Well-Known Member

according to babycentre (I was reading this myself earlier!) they can say mama and dada as early as four or five months, so I'd say not a fluke! Congratulations!!

3. mamalove

mamalove mum to 3 girls and a boy

Awww cute :)

I don't think they know what 'dada' means and i think they're too young to assoiate dada with their dad,but babies love copying and they learn soo much every day,so keep doing it. It really stimulates them.

My daughter was 4 weeks exactly when i leaned over to her and said 'GA-GA' and she looked at me and repeated it as clear as it can be!
    Twins,however are only just starting to babble :)

4. Connah'sMommy

Thats what i thought,that he is sarting to copy us,:happydance:

5. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Yeah dada is one of the first "babbling" sounds they will say :) It will probably be awhile still until he realizes dada actually means something

6. sarah0108

sarah0108 Well-Known Member

yeah harriet says DADA and BABA and DIDID haha she doesnt know what it means yet she just says it and she also shakes her head when i say noooo but she doesnt know what it means either lol

7. Hope22

Hope22 Mom of 1 beautiful boy

I'd say it's babbling, but he definitely copied you. At 4-5 months he's not old enough to associate 'dada' with his dad, it's really just a sound, but fairly soon if you keep using it in context he'll start to associate the word with the person.

IME a genuine first word feels quite different - rather than a babble that became a meaningful word over time, Darwin's first word was something he picked up and chose to use all on his own. He'd heard us say kitty, learned what it meant, and then one day he pointed at the cat and said it (well, technically he says 'dee-tee' but we know what it means!)

8. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

lily copys really well too ...she now says mumumumum :cloud9: ethan as never said mum and he is 3 in march

9. mumof2girls

mumof2girls Well-Known Member

Gabriella said it a couple of times at that ages but I think with her it was a fluke. She now seven and a half months old and she has started saying it again..... she will say it to me and lance and the kids but if we are trying to get her to show our friends or mil or her Gradads she just wont do it. Im sure everyone thinks we are lying!!! However she started clapping yesterday which I think is quite early... I thought they did it at around 9/10 months x

10. mommy2lilmen

mommy2lilmen Well-Known Member

nope not a fluke.
    I have a video of my little guy repeating 2 words. Im good. lol. Yes I know, how could he say that, but its true. and he says mama now.
    yay for your little connah saying his first word. so precious and sweet.

11. Connah'sMommy

12. mum2bee

mum2bee mother of 1

awww bless!

Hannah is always 'talking' cant wait until she says her first word :)

13. Lucy_lu_84

Lucy_lu_84 Pregnant with #2

My little one says Muma when he's getting upset!

His Daddy hates it cos he always thought his first sounds would be dada :p

he doesn't know what it means think he jsut associates it with being pick up or whatever when he's upset

14. Sherileigh

Sherileigh Well-Known Member

My son has been saying mama since he was about a month old...but it doesn't count as it just happens to be a sound he makes when he cries! But it does make me laugh!

15. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

dada is normally the first proper sound they make, in preparation to say real words. Normally they will start to form proper words at around 10-12 months :)

16. Connah'sMommy

Cant wait til he starts saying proper words now!:D xxx