too young?!

Parents will always be happy once their grandchild is here, you are in the perfect situation to have a child so I don't get it!
I know how you feel about the too young, OH parents are kinda the same, we are 22, we aren't trying for another 2 years because we are getting married, we have our own place, he is working full time, i work part time as well as college but by the time we try i'll be finished and working full time again! When OH's sister asked when we were thinking about kids (we have been together 6 years) we said probably after the wedding and his mum asked if we weren't too young still... he would be 24, i'de be 23, we will have been together 8 years, lived together about 6, both working (although seeing as i plan on being a SAHM it's not hugely important for me to work full time) .. i don't know what else they really want us to do? They said they would prefer us to own our own place first (we are council) but we live in such a good place, the neighbours aren't great but the house is right near the best nursery, primary and secondary school in our county, it is close enough to my work and college and his work, it's right near the beach and the biggest park in town, right near the train station, high street, library ... there are ex council houses in the street over selling for like 100 000 and if we were to buy one of them our monthly "rent" would be double what we have it now .. She doesn't understand why we don't want to buy because to her it's so important but to us it's not that big of a deal.. yes we would rather live in a nicer area in terms of some of our neighbours are clearly on drugs, some have never worked a day in their lives but we don't associate with them and they never bother us :thumbup:
Honestly, i'de say don't live to please your parents, i bet you when you are pregnant they will be too busy being excited to even think negatively!

We're 21 and 23 and both of our moms have been hinting for years that they'd love to have a grandchild soon (I don't think they really would have wanted us to get a baby at age 18 or something, they're just playing with the idea and want to show they wont judge us whatever we choose). I see my dad is counting on us to make the right decision too, as he has seen we're both responsible, doing well and into each other.. :D OH's dad however has seemed to be a little skeptical... I was first a bit offended when I heard his opinion (he basically said that having baby before 30's will ruin one's life), but I think his attitude has took shape from his and OH's mom's marriage that didn't last... So, it's kinda understandable.

I was scared too that OH's dad's sayings could affect OH's thinking so that he wouldn't be ready for a baby in years.. But now he is just as baby-feverish as I am. :D I don't know if it did affect at all, but I tried to encourage him to view his dad's sayings just as an outcome of his dad's lifepath experiences - that what he says has not necessarily anything to do with how WE connect and attach to each other or how we would make it work.

Now when we're on the same page about when we want to start ttc, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.. :)

My parents' feel like the age they did things (marriage at 24, baby at 30) is the "right way".

My parents also felt they did it the right way and I imagine would've hoped that I wait until around that time. Mom was 28 and dad 36 for their first child (me). I feel like my dad was a little old but he was still younger than his dad was into fatherhood. I never knew my grand father, heb died 8 years before I was born so my dad felt like a young grand father. He not only got to meet his grand child, he was young enough to be able to run around and p lay with her.

It works out in the end even if people feel their way is best when it goes well for them.

Definitely not too young imo.. I find it very surprising anyone would deem a married 25-year-old too young to be a first-time mother. I'm guessing what your mum means is that you still have another 10+ years before fertility is supposed to start declining so there isn't a hurry and you may as well enjoy other things beforehand because you can start trying at any time?

Only you and your DH know when you'll feel ready, and he shouldn't let other people's opinions influence something so personal to him. It sounds like you're in a really great position to have a baby! so obviously that's only something you and him can chat about and all the other things to consider like how many children you want in total, how old you want to be when you have the last one etc. x

I think 24 is totally fine if you are ready for having a baby! I wouldn't care too much about what my mother says because in the end you have to be happy with your decision. She is probably just worried that you are not going to be happy with your decision but only you know what makes you happy!

If it makes you feel any better I am 21, been married since June (been together since I was 13) and TTC #1 so much younger than you. 24 I think is the perfect age, my Mum had me at 24 and says she loved it. I don't think there is a "right age" when TTC. If you have a stable home, income and relationship why not? Good luck & do what's best for you and your Husband. xx

I agree with others. Its your body and your life. Do with it as you please!

I was 18 when I had my first.

Some advice though. Make sure your finances are in place. Buy your first home. Have everything set up for a growing family.

I HATED renting... we also ruined our credit so we could do nothing!
We ended up buying some land cash and an older mobile cash! So we have been living in our own home for the past 2 years. Its not the of my dreams that's for sure! Its only just now that all the hard work over 10 years or so is finally starting to show on our credit. Its looking like we will actually be able to buy something this year!
Now because of all that theres a huge gap in ages of my kids. My oldest is almost 10 and my youngest is almost 8 and were fixing to have more kids.

Thanks everyone - i think it's a great age but it's my family who are trying to put doubts in our mind about it. It wont stop us, hubby seems to be getting progressively more ready but it's him we're waiting for.

Ellielouise - we got married at 21 too. but then started saving to buy a house. and we had to make sure we were both settled in our jobs. I wouldn't have had a problem with starting younger but hubby and my family both felt it was too soon.. so here we are.. :D good luck to you both xxx

MissMcCoy - we're actually in the process of buying our house :D (we rent at the moment) Got a provisional ttc date of January 2016, by then we will have hopefully settled in our new home and be saving for LO:D Good luck with buying your home xxx

Oh yay!!
Well jeeze everything sounds absolutely perfect to start trying!
This is the next logical step! ;) Haha sounds like maybe you mama isn't ready to loose her baby.... Shell get over herself once a bouncing baby is born! :)

We are private renting at the moment, it's a pain in the butt but we have the savings for a house stashed away but annoyingly cannot get a mortgage as my DH got made redundant 3 months ago and has gone self employed, silly as he earns more now than when he was with a company but he has to have two years worth of proof of earnings. So so annoying! Feel like we are throwing money down the drain but we love the house we are renting so kinda makes it seem a little bit more worth it.

I have endometriosis which isn't getting any better so that's why we are starting earlier than we had originally planned :) what will be will be.

Baby dust to you all xxx

I starred TTC just before my 21st birthday and conceived a couple months later (currently 24 weeks pregnant), ill still be 22 when he's born and My husband 23. We'be been together 5 and a half years (always been a stable relationship) and married last year, own our own home ( have lived together since 18 years old), I'm a midwife he's a gas man and we feel in the perfect situation to have a baby, always wanted to be young parents. To say a certain age is too young is impossible, it depends on when you feel ready:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"