Torn cervix - vaginal birth or c section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Chase, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Hi all, I wondered if you have any advice that could help me.

My cervix was torn by an emergency stitch that I had when I lost my twin girls and it has never fully healed. My consultant has offered me either a c section or vaginal birth for this pregnancy, but I am unsure what to choose.

It took me over 2 years to conceive this lo after losing my girls and as I am getting older I don't want to wait too long before trying again. With that in mind I am thinking I would be better with a natural birth in case it happened earlier (scared of rupturing placenta previa etc).

On the other hand I am scared if I have a vaginal birth I will tear my cervix further and do more damage (I already had a cervical stitch in)

Any advice? Do you know the chances of cervical tears or does anyone have any advice on c sections? The other thing I would be worried about with c section is if it was twins again as I am naturally more likely to have them again.

Thanks in advance. Xxx

2. alynn6758

alynn6758 Well-Known Member

I really think that this is a tough situation. My instinct would be, to tell you to go for the vaginal delivery, as its usually easier to recover from, however, with you having a torn cervix already, I would be afraid there is a good chance it would tear again or more. I hate to advocate a C-section unless absolutely necessary, but this maybe be one of those situations. Its really a personal choice and either way you're not doing anything wrong choosing one or the other. I think if it were me, and it was a previous tear that had healed completely I would go for the vaginal delivery, but as you say its never completely healed, I myself would consider the c-section. Is there any information about this you can get from your doctor? What if they are able to get your cervix completely thinned and dilated, I don't think it would tear again as long as its thinned out and fully dilated? I hope someone with experience in this will be help to shed some light on the situation. I hope you get some answers hun :hugs:

3. spring_baby

spring_baby <a href="http://pregnancy

I would say c sect just because of yr already torn cervix, i had a vaginal birth after the traumatic birth of my eldest which resulted in a lot of damage to my cervix that didnt heal properly and after the birth of my second daughter I was in excruciating pain and had to have reconstructive surgery which took me 12 weeks to recover from, which i think is longer than a c section!
    Thankfully i was able to have a vaginal birth with my son but he was a premie i think in retrorespect due to the damage to my cervix before, just hope this one stays put at least as long as long as his brother fx xx

4. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I would feel happier about vaginal birth if I was certain that I would have close support and monitoring to ensure that the tear was not getting worse, but I don't trust that this will happen. It is so confusing and anxiety provoking, which I don't need in an already terrifying pregnancy. Anyone else have any thoughts? Xxx