Total stranger hurt my feelings

painted_pony

Reaction score
I went to do some shopping this afternoon. I purchased a kids movie, well because I like watching them too. The woman at the checkout asked me if I had a girl or boy. I said pardon, because I didn't quite understand her question. I didn't know if she was asking me about my pregnancy, or if I had a child. Once I understood that she was asking if I had a girl or boy child, I said "neither right now, but soon enough a little boy." She gets this horrified look on her face, just awful. She goes "there's no way your 25 weeks pregnant. I can't tell at all. Are you sure?" I literally almost started sobbing in the check out lane, I'm not even kidding. I didn't think a stranger could hurt my feelings that bad. I will never forget the things she said, and that horrible look on her face. Now all I keep thinking is that I'm not big enough and there's something wrong with him. :(

"Are you sure?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry hon, but any person that asks you something that dumb should not be given so much thought as to make you feel bad.

Please don't let it upset you. I've had people not realise I'm pregnant or say that I don't look very big and at the same time other people who see me everyday are saying that I've got a huge bump and it's bigger everyday. As long as your scans were ok and your doctor/midwife isn't worried then you shouldn't worry.

next time reply...."you know...you're right...I'm not sure...thanks!" and walk off

like LaRockera said she's not worth it.

painted_pony: how far along are you? and don't feel bad at all.. she's obviously not very intelligent, don't be offended!

Apparently I should be MUCH bigger according to everyone else because I am carrying twins. I know they are perfect and spot on with thier weight and sizes so it doesnt really get to me anymore. Dont let people who know nothing get to you they dont deserve that kind of power over you love.

People are so dumb! Don't give her another thought! I swear everyone has an opinion on every pregnant woman I've ever known. Either strangers comment on how big they are or how shocked to find out they were pregnant as it's not obvious enough. Strangers don't think I'm pregnant yet, although I feel like a house already. But im not small anyway, and have a long torso so its less obvious. Dh thinks I was this size near the end with Megan and comments daily on how huge I am. ( thanks Hun!) Of course there is nothing wrong with your baby's size! Your dr would have alerted you of something by now. And btw... Size of bump doesn't equal size of baby.

Pshh I think it's great if you don't get huge til 3rd trimester! More time to wear regular clothes. My SIL doesn't show til about 28 weeks except a belly like a few too many cookies and she's tiny!

painted_pony: how far along are you? and don't feel bad at all.. she's obviously not very intelligent, don't be offended!

I am 26 weeks on Sunday. Well after she had the nerve to say those things to me, she starts saying how she is pregnant with twin boys. I don't mean to sound terrible, but she was a heavier built gal and i had no idea she was pregnant either. At least I didn't tell her, she didn't look like she was carrying twins. To myself, I look bigger but not nearly as big as I believed I would be by this point.

She'll have no idea that she's hurt your feelings so don't give her another thought. How insensitive!

I agree though, everyone seems to have an opinion on EVERYTHING and it drives me mad!

x

That stranger is not worth your energy. She's just ignorant.

I'm 28 weeks, 29 on monday (shh dont tell anyone, i wanna stay in second tri forever lol) and i'm no where near as big as i thought i would be by this point either! i got measured for the first time on wednesday though and i measure 28 and a half cm or inches cant remember lol so im spot on, dont let it worry you, i think we are just used to thinking of pregnant women as being much bigger because thats the only time you notice someone is pregnant if that makes sense, dont let her worry you hun, chin up xxx

Ah...Don't mind her! Really. Many people like her ARE ignorant about how BIG a woman is "suppose" to be when pregnant.

But you're not the only one who's gotten that comment. I've heard it from friends and families and strangers like her too, just because I am small and not showing as much. A lot of people think that it's typical for a pregnant woman to be big. NOT ALWAYS!

It's okay, honey. And size of tummy doesn't determine baby's abnormal growth.

She just needs some knowledge in her life.

She probably meant it in a nice way!

If I am wearing loose clothing, people say that I dont look pregnant all the time, and I take it as an intended compliment. Yesterday, I met friends for lunch (I do every Thursday) and had a more fitted top on than I did last week: they're comment 'bloody hell, you've got massive in one week'. Again, I know they meant it in a good way so didnt take offence.

I think that people see pregnancy as a wonderful thing and any comments that they make are usually with the best of intentions. As pregnant women, we should remind ourselves that maybe we're a bit hormonal and oversensitive and try not to let things get to us, else every day would be miserable!

people say that to me all the time...i actually take it as a compliment because it makes me thing i'm not as huge as i feel! screw her!

I am 26 weeks on Sunday. Well after she had the nerve to say those things to me, she starts saying how she is pregnant with twin boys. I don't mean to sound terrible, but she was a heavier built gal and i had no idea she was pregnant either. At least I didn't tell her, she didn't look like she was carrying twins. To myself, I look bigger but not nearly as big as I believed I would be by this point.

maybe she has issues with her own weight gain. let her own her own bad manners...don't give it a second thought, seriously.

Sounds like she didn't think before she spoke. Don't let it bother you. :hugs:

Guess you better pick up a pregnancy test too, just to be sure. What a moron :dohh:

People were constantly telling me I didn't look big enough when I was pregnant with my son, but I was measuring spot on. Sometimes when I talked more with people, I'd find out that they'd gained 70 pounds when they were pregnant or something ridiculous. No wonder my 25 didn't seem like enough.

What a bag! People stay the stupidest things, and I swear it's like the comments getting dumber and dumber as soon as you get pregnant
Everyone has an opinion about pregnancy and parenting and they're usually wrong!

Try to be prepared for more of that rudeness (because I am sure you will get it!) and respond with a little rudeness of your own next time...like "well perhaps you're right, I should have my doctor check if it's just a really big tumour" or something equally ridiculous.

My dear friend didn't show until she was almost 6 months with her first 2 pregnancies and her boys are strong healthy little beasts so don't stress about it :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->