Totally irrelevant but feeling shite...

CurlySue

P.I's Mummy
Reaction score
At work today I saw something I should not have seen, purely by accident. There was a Partner's Meeting and the office manager attended it. I had to find something on her computer because it was urgent but when I went to look for it I noticed that last month's meeting minutes were on the screen.

I should not have looked, I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help myself.

In last month's meeting notes there was a whole part dedicated to how fucking awful I am. How I do not show any interest in the job, how I sometimes hold personal conversations when clients are in reception (I have no view of reception from my desk), how I have to be told three times before I can grasp certain things and how I spend too much time on the internet when I have nothing to do.

Basically, how I am fucking awful.

Now I'm worried that, come Monday, I am going to be handed my termination letter. And I feel like fucking shite.

Oh no sweetie that is awful i really don't know what to say to help, but wanted to give u a big :hugs:

yeh u get in there first hun n tell them uv decided ur to GOOD for this job!!

I can't really, honey. I have a mortgage to pay. I would like to get in there first but I can't, really.

You don't know for sure there gonna get rid of u babe. How long have u been there? If u have been there over a year they must give u a verbal then a written warning before they can dismiss u. XXX

You don't know for sure there gonna get rid of u babe. How long have u been there? If u have been there over a year they must give u a verbal then a written warning before they can dismiss u. XXX

2 years. No verbal warning but we did get a standard written warning about internet use. I have not been on it much since but I have checked my email on Yahoo a couple of times a day.

DH who is a company director says he has to give a verbal, followed by 2 written warnings before he can get rid of anyone. I hope that is the same across the board. He says otherwise that sounds like instant dismisal, which would normal involved stealing, or violence. Hope that helps. XXX

I'm so sorry hun. I can only imagine how much that would've upset you :hugs:

Does your boss know what you're going through? Is she understanding? If so, perhaps you could tell her that you're really sorry if it seems like you haven't been 100% commited to your work lately, but that you're going through a lot, and that no matter what, you are back on board and ready to be fully commited again.

Good luck with the outcome :hugs:

Can you go in there and tell them that you are trying to work on some things, and list some of the things that you saw. Not that you saw them, but just mention the things that you saw there. Perhaps they are having a chat with you, and you won't get terminated. That is an extreme action, and since you have been there so long, I can't see them doing that without even giving you chance to redeem yourself! (hugs) Keep us updated.

It seems very suspicious to me that your office manager asked you to get her some urgent information off her computer and that there was a document on her screen about you. I wonder if she's trying to give you the heads up??

I agree with FJL though. If you feel you can, why don't you talk to your office manager about everything you're going through. If you don't want to talk to her then contact your HR department instead.

Good luck hun. Try not to worry too much.

:hug:

It wasnt the office manager who told me to do it. She has no idea I have seen it.

She also has no idea that I saw my job advertised on the internet today, posted on 18th September. What more of a kick in the teeth is it that they advertised my job the day after my last fertility appointment?

She knows what I am going through. To say she is not particularly sympathetic is an understatement.

Can you go in there and tell them that you are trying to work on some things, and list some of the things that you saw. Not that you saw them, but just mention the things that you saw there. Perhaps they are having a chat with you, and you won't get terminated. That is an extreme action, and since you have been there so long, I can't see them doing that without even giving you chance to redeem yourself! (hugs) Keep us updated.

The last person to get sacked from my office was called into the manager's office with no warning and told "You're contract is being terminated. Don't take any company equipment with you when you leave."

That was all that was said. No warning, no nothing. Another woman was sacked simply because she did not get on with the person she was working for.

You see my problem?

I can't say all these things to the office manager because she is well aware of what I am going through at the minute. Well aware.

:hug: that sucks honey, so sorry.
Fingers crossed it can be sorted out.

They can't just sack you without warning if you have been there over a year, you should have employment rights. Dunno if it would be worth you going to the CAB and explaining what has happened and finding out what your rights are?

Hi there

That's horrible - sorry to hear this has happened.
If you are worried about being terminated and you are in the UK try contacting Acas to see what your employment rights are. We use them a lot at work for info on emplomyent legislation and rights. You can google them or call them on 08457 474747 they are quite helpful.

Good luck
x

I hope you get things sorted out hun. The thing is you know something they don't think you know, so make an effort to address the issues listed in the memo. (You didn't say any of it was incorrect, only that you don't have a view of reception) It's unfortunate that you don't have a sympathetic manager, it sounds like you are up against it. I would definately look into your employment rights up front. I know what it is to have a boss who just wants rid. I jumped just before I was pushed - it's a crap situation and I hope you can sort it out xx

It wasnt the office manager who told me to do it. She has no idea I have seen it.

She also has no idea that I saw my job advertised on the internet today, posted on 18th September. What more of a kick in the teeth is it that they advertised my job the day after my last fertility appointment?

She knows what I am going through. To say she is not particularly sympathetic is an understatement.

Sorry to read what you are going through - sounds very unpleasant. I was just thinking maybe you could raise the fact that you have seen your job advertised on the internet - that way you avoid the uncomfortable talk about having seen something you weren't supposed to. For your own peace of mind it may be good to speak with your office manager and she can tell you her concerns about your performance directly and you can find a way fwd.
But I agree with the other ladies - they can't just sack you - it requires a process i.e. warnings etc.
I really hope it all works out for you. :hug:

Hi there

That's horrible - sorry to hear this has happened.
If you are worried about being terminated and you are in the UK try contacting Acas to see what your employment rights are. We use them a lot at work for info on emplomyent legislation and rights. You can google them or call them on 08457 474747 they are quite helpful.

Good luck
x

I agree - ring ACAS - they should be able to tell you exactly what your rights are and might even represent you too if it goes that far.
Some companies think they can get away with anything. You've got to cover your back in this instance by the sound of it.
Make sure you keep a diary of all these things - when you saw this thing on the computer, when you saw your job advertised, and also, if i remember correctly, wasn't your boss really unsympathetic when you said you were have fertility treatment? well get that in your diary too!
If it was me, i'd want to make sure i'd got as much evidence as possible, just in case the worst did happen and you needed to take your boss to a tribunal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->