Toy chest?

JessicaAnne

Mama.
Reaction score
Has anyone made one for their LO?
I want one for Evie but have been looking around and can't find one that make's me go wow. So I had the "genius" idea of making one... but wood isnt my speciality!
Any pointers?

It would actually be very difficult and take a hell of a lot of carpentry know how to make a wooden toy chest!!!!!!! Especially as a toy chest needs to be very sturdy and sound as it would take a lot of battering. If you really want to have a go you'd need to make a cuboid frame from fresh wood then I'd screw on small 3x2 bits of wood to clad it vertically. You'd have to sand down the whole thing once fixed and ensure no bits of screw are poking out - grind them down if they are. Then you'd need to find a child friendly varnish or paint to finish it.
You could drape old beads over the sides and stick on fake gold coins and jewells with super glue for decoration but at 6 months old you may want to wait to do that until she's at an age where she wouldnt' pick them off and try to eat them!
Are you sure Ikea or the like don't have one you could adapt?
Making a treasure chest like 'lid' would be very very very very hard from wood without pro knowledge.

You could always have a go at making a cardboard one from very thick card - somewhere like Somerfield etc would be able to help you out with very thick card or a retail park store like Next - card that furniture comes in is often immensely strong.

If you do decide to make a cardboard one you'd need an industrial strength staple gun (think Hobbycraft sell them) and some thinner card to add detail, as well as stick on jewels and beads for decoration. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->