Toys only in bedroom or kept throughout the home?

Isobel's are mainly in the living room and always have been (she's 2.5 now). She has a few in her bedroom but not much, she doesn't really play in there unless I'm upstairs doing housework and hubby isn't home for example. She mainly plays downstairs as I think she's too young to be left a long time unsupervised and also I try to interact with her some of the time of course.

When she's older and wants her own space she'll have her toys mostly upstairs and bring down bits if she wants to be downstairs playing.

Bedrooms are for sleeping in, living room is for living in. My LOs are only in the bedrooms when going to bed.

Everyday play is in the living room and thats where all the toys are. At end of day we try get kids to put them all into the corner of the room and keep it tidy!

My daughter has a bookcase full of books in her room, but thats it.:flower:

Living room mostly.

The house is their home too so i dont like the idea of making them keep all their stuff in their room.

Most of Nico's toys are in the living room, he has a few soft toys and a rocking caterpillar in his room but I don't really like too many toys in there. I want him to think of his room only as a place to sleep atm.

All Anabella's toys are downstairs. She has some bookshelves in her room which has books and soft toys on, but everything else is downstairs. Although she is young and I wouldn't leave her play upstairs alone at her age, even when she is older I would prefer her to play downstairs so I can join in and interact with her. They are all tidied and hidden away in the evening, so our living room feels 'adult' and is tidy when she is sleeping.

The living room is full of toys, we haven't put any in her bedroom because for now I want her to see her bedroom as somewhere she sleeps.

When she's older we'll probably move most of her toys to her room.

Thanks for your replies! :)

Itsychik - I don't know if it's the German tendency in him or what but my husband must have everything orderly at all times and I even catch him cleaning up when the girls are in the middle of playing! He can't stand toys laying about.

I mean, I also get annoyed about toys being scattered around and neither baby is really playing with them just tossing this and that out and moving on. :lol: I think the problem is more so that they have access to all their toys at once if they wish. Instead we've decided to put a bunch in a big toy box they can't get into on their own and stick with a limited amount at at time and rotate toys in and out of the toy box. Otherwise it's chaos! I feel like it's more fun for dd1 especially to take everything out then move on rather than actually playing with anything. With a limited amount she will probably focus on actually playing with them rather than scattering them.

I like the idea of not having so many toys in their rooms. I make sure everything is put away when it's nap and bedtime because it makes me nervous otherwise but still - I can see the thinking behind that. And I agree, the living room is the family room! Just need to figure out an organized enough way to go about this so DH stays cool!

All in the living room. We have a 1 bedroom apartment and our bedroom already has 3 dressers, a book shelf, and a queen size bed, a changing table, and a Learning Tower....no room for toys! Everything is kept in the living room :D

All in the living room but he takes them to the kitchen/bathroom/garden etc. Why on earth would it be restricted? :shrug:

Our main floor is the living area, kitchen and what is supposed to be the dining area but that is dedicated to toys. They have a few toys in their room but it is upstairs so the littlest one can't go up there on his own and the oldest one hates to be alone! It doesn't really bother me though as long as they are put away on their respective shelves/toy boxes and not out all over the floor when not being played with :)

Theyre all in the living room as both boys share a box room and it can barely store their clothes never mind toys! Weve got a lovely big wooden toy box from ikea that doubles up as a window seat when the lids on, and the toy kitchen is the oher side of the living room. We have a bookcase in the living room too and they have 2 shelves for their books and colouring stuff.

Saphira, we do pretty much what you're thinking of. My OH isn't German but I often joke that he should have been! He is, uh, extremely orderly!!

LO has some toys in his room but they are mainly soft toys, 'brain toys' (like simple puzzles and a tree bead frame) and quiet-time books. The rest of his stuff is in the living room in a big toybox. OH or I or the nanny select a few different toys for the day each morning, and put them out. The rest stay in the box. He also has a couple of shelves in the living room cabinet that are full of his books, picture tiles, etc.

Soon I'm planning on buying a table for an outside activity area, where he can have messy play and do outside paintings. I guess eventually he'll want an inside table for drawing and so on, which I think will go in his room when we move the small couch out, which I use for breastfeeding before naps and bedtime.

They're everywhere! And thats ok i just tidy up all the time. No biggie.

Bedrooms are for sleeping in, living room is for living in. My LOs are only in the bedrooms when going to bed.

Everyday play is in the living room and thats where all the toys are. At end of day we try get kids to put them all into the corner of the room and keep it tidy!

My daughter has a bookcase full of books in her room, but thats it.:flower:

Ah, see, that's probably another reason ours are all upstairs. I take them up to play for a big proportion of the day, rather than playing in the living room.

Micah has toys everywhere! He has a Wendy house in his room, with 2 small boxes in, one has toy food and pans etc, the other 'dressing up' which is currently just a couple of hats, then he has one of these storage units in his room too:
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/Melon1687/download_zps7a03cab8.jpg
The bottom 2 rows are accessible to him, and in those cubes he has: one box for soft toys, one box for small hard toys like puzzles and cars, one box of soft bibs and muslins that he can turn out and put back, one box of clothes he can play with, then the 2nd row up has board books, plus 3 free spaces where he can stand and play, I rotate puzzles, bead mazes and his zigzag car ramp etc, also 'homemade' toys such as his collection of things with lids to take on and off!! He also has a mirror at this height. (the top two rows are clothes, changing stuff and paper books that he reads supervised as he likes to tear them)

Then downstairs in the living room he has 2 small boxes with toys in, a magnetic tray and magnets, a container of blocks and a shelf of board books, and his ride on car.

In the kitchen he has 2 small shelves of child friendly kitchen stuff (wooden spoons, silicon spatula, metal measuring set, plastic stacking Tupperware etc)

In the bathroom he has a pocket on the wall of bath toys.

Even in our bedroom he has a shoe box with a couple of empty jewellery boxes, string of beads, small hairbrush etc!

He has taken over!!!

Micah has toys everywhere! He has a Wendy house in his room, with 2 small boxes in, one has toy food and pans etc, the other 'dressing up' which is currently just a couple of hats, then he has one of these storage units in his room too:
The bottom 2 rows are accessible to him, and in those cubes he has: one box for soft toys, one box for small hard toys like puzzles and cars, one box of soft bibs and muslins that he can turn out and put back, one box of clothes he can play with, then the 2nd row up has board books, plus 3 free spaces where he can stand and play, I rotate puzzles, bead mazes and his zigzag car ramp etc, also 'homemade' toys such as his collection of things with lids to take on and off!! He also has a mirror at this height. (the top two rows are clothes, changing stuff and paper books that he reads supervised as he likes to tear them)

Then downstairs in the living room he has 2 small boxes with toys in, a magnetic tray and magnets, a container of blocks and a shelf of board books, and his ride on car.

In the kitchen he has 2 small shelves of child friendly kitchen stuff (wooden spoons, silicon spatula, metal measuring set, plastic stacking Tupperware etc)

Even in our bedroom he has a shoe box with a couple of empty jewellery boxes, string of beads, small hairbrush etc!

He has taken over!!!

Where did you get that and the cubes? I've been looking for a big one like that!

Toys have taken over in our house,mainly because with three kids I cant get around and tidy them away as quickly as they can pull more out lol.

The majority of emilys toys are in her bedroom but we keep a box full of toys in the living room as well xx

He has taken over!!!

Where did you get that and the cubes? I've been looking for a big one like that!

Magical IKEA! :haha: It's part of the Expedit range.

They. are. everywhere! :rofl: Their rooms are full of toys and my living room looks like toys'r'us too! I'm dreading Christmas.... and having another lot of toys for this baby when it arrives. I am seriously going to need a bigger house :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->