Transfer 1 or 2?

bumpwanted84

Reaction score
Hi ladies :)

We are so torn about whether we should transfer one or two for our FET this month. Our 1st fresh cycle failed with one embryo transferred.

We have 12 frozen and I'm 31. RE says that approx 60% of our frozen embies should be chromosomally, does that sound about right? I had my tubes tied but RE says I have the reproductive system of a 25 year old.

We don't have a desire for twins, but we also don't have a desire to have another failed cycle and go more in the hole financially and emotionally. What facts and thoughts helped some of you ladies? DH and I feel kind of "stuck" about what to do.

I've always transferred two, just because of what you said when you are struggling financially, it just gives you a better chance, but I am also okay with the potential of twins.. so it's really a decision you need to think about!

I live in Denmark and the hospital I went to doesn't transfer more than 1 embie each time. My RE told me it's because firstly a twin pregnancy is seen as a bit of a risky pregnancy and they are often born earlier and with health issues. Secondly she said if one embie is of lesser quality than the other, it can affect the better quality embie's implantation and you can end up with none implanting. I think all hospitals here are the same way so there was no point in changing hospitals, even if we wanted to. So we didn't have any choice in the matter and had 1 embie put back in each time with IVF #1 ending in a CP and IVF #2 resulting in my current bean.

Plus I've read somewhere that putting 2 back in only increases your chances by 5%, if it increases it at all.

Our clinic is against transferring 2 also unless it is an absolute must. They say that there are too many complications with twin pregnancies and if you can avoid it then to do so.

We have had 2 fails, one with a fresh cycle and one FET so I was keen to transfer 2 this time but OH doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

I guess it's each to their own on this one! Hope you make the right choice for yourselves personally

x

I've always had two transferred but I don't have great quality eggs and very low number never enough to freeze. First cycle one implanted, I've transferred two again this time and hoping for the best.
I usually ask the dr for advice and go with what she prefers because she's judging the situation better. I understand twins are risky but like you said I'd rather that over nothing.
Good luck dear!

I think if your eggs are of good quality transferring two simply increases the risk of twins and does not significantly increase the overall odds of success. I have high blood pressure so have been advised only to transfer one at a time x

It's an intensely personal decision that should remain between you, your partner and your doctor. Loads of women have healthy uncomplicatex multiple pregnancies all the time, I can attest personally to that fact. We didn't "want" twins but ending up with no frosties after the only cycle we could afford we gave it a shot. Our boys just turned 16 months old and I believe things turned out exactly as they were meant to. The amount transferred has no bearing on God's plan in my opinion.

Follow your heart, take the path you're guided to :)

My next cycle we will be transferring 2.
Our first ivf failed when we only transferred one.
We are open to having twins though, and at this point I might be willing to say we're done after having 2 (I always wanted 3 but my body doesn't even want to give us one ugh).

It's a tough call though. Since you have so many embryos, if you aren't comfortable with twins, then I'd transfer one...you have many more to fall back on. From what I hear FET is easier then the whole ivf process again.
(in our case we have none left over and have to start over from the beginning. Since none of ours made it to freeze, if we get 2 good ones next time we will just transfer both)

My first transfer we only did 1 and it ended in a chemical pregnancy.

And this time we transferred 2 and i am 13+6 with a singleton. We will be transferring 2 everytime now.

Thank you all so much. We've decided to transfer one again. Not an easy decision, however we felt he risk of twins just wasn't worth it. It wouldnt be fair to twin babies and their health or my health.

Thank you all so much. We've decided to transfer one again. Not an easy decision, however we felt he risk of twins just wasn't worth it. It wouldnt be fair to twin babies and their health or my health.

I'm not sure I'd put it like that........ :nope:

But if that's what you decided was best for you that's just fine. I hope your transfer goes well and that you have the best of luck this time.

I opted to put back one on the advice of the embryologists due to my age and the quality of our embryos. If twins happens for us somehow by our embryo splitting then we'd still be happy but honestly the risks associated with twin pregnancies scares the heck out of me. Yeah for some it turns out fine but for others it doesn't. We faced a lot of pressure from people we know to transfer two but in the end we made the right decision for us.

I just went through this same question. I would absolutely LOVE to have twins, and so really wanted to put back 2 next time. Unfortunately, where I live it's against the law to put back 2 if you are under 35, unless you have had numerous failed cycles. I did my research before going to the dr to ask, and I did find that your risks for low birth weight, extremely low birth weight, and and preterm delivery are significantly higher with twin pregnancies. I think something like %60 of twins are born prematurely. I do however know of women who have had very healthy twins, and never had any complications. I also unfortunately know 2 people who have recently had twins, where both were born before 30 weeks and spent a significant amount of time in the NIICU.

Now, that being said, it's a completely personal decision, and I still think I would consider it if it were an option to me, and there are always risks involved in anything. I would love twins though, but I will only be putting back 1 blast this next FET.

I had my first failed ivf with one 5 day blastocyst. About to have my fet and we've decided to go with two because we'd be happier with twins than another failure. We've been trying for over 4 years at this point. When I was at the doctor yesterday, he mentioned the possibility of transferring the 3 frozen embryos that I have, but the thought of triplets terrifies me and neither of us wants to be asked about selective reduction. I might have to fight my doctor on this one. Of course, that's assuming that I get two that survive the thaw...

I had my first failed ivf with one 5 day blastocyst. About to have my fet and we've decided to go with two because we'd be happier with twins than another failure. We've been trying for over 4 years at this point. When I was at the doctor yesterday, he mentioned the possibility of transferring the 3 frozen embryos that I have, but the thought of triplets terrifies me and neither of us wants to be asked about selective reduction. I might have to fight my doctor on this one. Of course, that's assuming that I get two that survive the thaw...

Best of luck to you :) I think I'd go for 2 if we had been trying for awhile too. I can totally see where your coming from! :) I hope all goes well for you and thank you for your input ❤️

Hey I say if your ok with having twins then more power to you! I really wish you the best and hope you get all you dreamed of. :hugs:

like many posters said it is a decision only you and your partner can make, however I have appreciated reading these responses and having the opportunity to see others perspectives and hear ideas I may or may not have thought of on my own. What our RE told us is we had to be prepared to risk having twins and many complications and weigh out if that risk was worth another 15% added to our success rate for the next cycle. I'd say we few more comfortable being a little conservative on this one. :)

A lot of people seem to take the view of 2 babies being better than 1 but often forget that twin (or more) pregnancies carry much more risk. This is what a very close friend of mine faced some time ago. After their 1st IVF failed they chose to have 2 embryos transferred in their next treatment. She became pregnant with twins and they were overjoyed to discover they were a boy and a girl. Tragically she went into pre-term labor at 21 weeks and they lost both babies. All tests and investigations revealed the only problem was because it was a twin pregnancy. Their multiples consultant told them at a follow-up appointment that she saw a lot of cases like theirs but people still don't appreciate the risk. Thankfully they have since gone on to have a beautiful little girl who is now 2 years old but their lives were eternally changed by the loss. I would always recommend single embryo transfer, especially if you have day 5 blastocysts.

Thanks for your input Regin! I'm sorry for your friend's loss. That must have been, and continue to be devastating for them. The risks and potential complications of a potential twin pregnancy were the topics of many discussions with my dh and doctor before our transfer. We are all well informed and understand the potential of risks involved. We made our decision to transfer two for many reasons. We are hoping and praying for a safe, healthy pregnancy and a healthy child, or children. I agree that there are risks involved to both mother and children in a twin pregnancy, but we accepted those risks. Again, thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->