Transvaginal vs. Abdominal

Sander

Reaction score
I have a scan Tuesday at 7+3 (my dates), 8+4 (by LMP/doctor's dates). I'm wondering if anyone has had success with an abdominal scan at approx 7.5 weeks?

TBH, I'm pretty scared to get a transvaginal scan done because I had light brown spotting a week ago for about 8 days. Midwife thinks it was further implantation and/or sensitive cervix. It's been gone a while and I'm not worried anymore, but I've read a couple of horror stories online about miscarriages shortly after transvaginal ultrasounds, and even if it's unlikely they're connected I'd really rather not take the chance?

This scan is a dating scan because I'm not 100% on my ovulation dates (I'd say I'm within a day or 2, but still).

Anyway I could just use someone to talk me through this - I'm struggling because I'm afraid of the transvaginal ultrasound but I want to know everything's ok. If we don't see anything on an abdominal scan I'm going to really want the transvaginal, but I'll also be really nervous - especially if it's likely that I'll spot afterwards.

Any help? Thank you!!

I had abdominal scan ystdy at 7+5 and was able to see baby and heartbeat. Blurry, but I think that had more to do with my build (size 20). Good luck! X

Firstly, I have a very retroverted uterus when not pregnant and in early pregnancy, one where my cervix is so far back that doctors and nurses can't find it at first, so transvaginal scans are really painful for me where they have to push the probe right down and I'm going ow ow ow. So you'd think if they were going to cause problems for anyone they would for me, but I've had them early in all my pregnancies (loads in this one) and they've never caused problems. Even the baby I lost was a mmc so I never bled, it was all happening way up in my uterus so couldn't have been anything to do with the scans.

Secondly, at 7.5 weeks + they should be able to do an abdominal scan. Like you say, you'll want tv if they can't see what they need to, but I'd say they probably will at that point, so definitely ask for abdominal first. In this pregnancy I went to a different hospital for one of my early scans (my normal hospital only does tv for the whole first trimester, I really hate them for it) and they gave me an abdo scan at 6 weeks and we saw the hb.
Good luck!

I had an abdominal scan at 7+4 and they saw the baby and heartbeat without any problems.

Try the abdominal. My new doc wouldn't perform a transvag for the life of it!

My MC happened the afternoon after a transvag u/s. Everything was ok on the scan, normal baby, heartbeat, and then... So I don't know. I think they should be able to see what they need with an abdominal one. Good luck!

I have a retroverted uterus, so they simply couldn't see anything on the abdominal scan. They should try the abdominal scan first, before deciding to go for the TV.

I've had three transvaginal scans so far this pregnancy, and a fourth one scheduled for next week. The probe head really doesn't go in very far (and nowhere near your cervix).

Good luck!

Thanks so much guys, I'm going to see about the abdominal and hope it works!! I'll update you in a few days :)

I have had Transvaginal u/s with all my pregnancies, in the beginning I have them weekly. These are not painful for me nor do I believe that they cause any harm.

I understand that you are worried and don't want to risk anything but I have never seen anything to say that they are dangerous.

I agree with above, I have never heard of them causing MC. How could they, scientifically? I am trying to figure it out....they aren't invasive aren't they? Well they go up your vagina but I mean they don't interfere with your uterus. And your cervix, if it's a healthy pregnancy, should be nice and closed,

Mona did you doctor think the MC had to do with the u/s? Just curious. I'm very sorry btw.

Sander I think you have the right idea, ask of abdominal and then see what happens. If they are skilled and do this every day I should imagine they know how to do it in the best way possible.

Mona did you doctor think the MC had to do with the u/s? Just curious. I'm very sorry btw.

Maybe not the last one in particular, but I had 3 transvag scans during the 7 weeks, and my new doc thinks that just insane. She does believe it causes harm because, while it's not invasive, the cervix is still a bit open and together with bacteria, the waves go directly into your uterus... Of course, this is just her opinion.

I've also found this, if someone wants to read it.

Ultrasound scanning of pregnant women has been shown to significantly increase the likelihood of miscarriage, preterm labour, and even infant mortality.
Pregnant physiotherapists who provided ultrasound treatments for more than 20 hours per week were found to have an increased risk for spontaneous abortions.
One of the reasons used to support ultrasound scanning for pregnant women is that it can help to diagnose a condition called placental praevia. This is a condition where the placenta is implanted in the lower part of a woman's uterus, which can cause bleeding in the third trimester and increase her chance of being encouraged to have a caesarean section. A study of 4000 women found that of 250 women who were scanned and diagnosed with placental praevia, only 4 actually had placental praevia upon delivery. Who knows how many unnecessary caesareans have been done and how much needless anxiety women have experienced due to incorrect diagnoses of placental praevia wiith ultrasound?
Using ultrasound scanning to detect serious problems before birth does not necessarily save lives or reduce illness. There is evidence to suggest that using ultrasound to attempt to detect problems while a baby is in the womb can do more harm than good.
There is evidence to support that children who have been exposed to ultrasound while in their mothers' bellies have a greater chance of suffering from dyslexia and other speech and learning problems than children who have not been exposed to ultrasound.
Ultimately, the two main reasons why I believe that it is best to avoid ultrasound scanning during pregnancy are:

No matter what intensity and duration of ultrasound waves are used, there is always a possibility of these waves creating unnecessary thermal and physical pressure to a growing baby. Why take this risk?
There is always a possibility of practitioner error and/or a defective machine that can result in a higher than intended dose of ultrasonic waves to your baby.

So Mona, do you think based on that information even an abdominal ultrasound at an early stage can be dangerous? I know there aren't any confirmed correlations and I don't want to be overly paranoid - but I'm kind of in the same boat with why take the risk, especially when there's really no good reason for me to go aside from the fact that the docs want a more precise date and I want to hear the heartbeat.

Are you planning on doing an abdominal scan? Or are you going to avoid it until later on?

Also don't want to be paranoid, but I am so torn to be honest. I was reading one of those natural moms' blogs the other day, about scans, and the comments there really made me think about it. Because from what we know, occasional scans are ok and normal, right?

My doc said to go for a scan around 50days LMP; I'm convinced she's gonna keep it short, not like those 30min scans. Shouldn't be too risky. But yeah all of the ideas about overheating, and unnecessary risks are in place too.

After all this I'm not sure if I'd want the NT scan. Would I terminate the pregnancy if it were high risk? A friend had a high positive for Down's with her daughter, the girl is almost 6 now, perfectly normal.

Why is pregnancy such a headache lol, I'm sure it shouldn't be like this!

Good to know, this scan will be 60 days past LMP - I'm hoping it will be relatively short. Personally I'm not going to do the NT scan or any precautionary bloodtests - we wouldn't have an abortion either way, and my aunt was told her son would have Down syndrome and to abort and he was born perfectly healthy. I already feel so much stress and anxiety about all this pregnancy stuff I just couldn't do that to myself haha. But lots of people feel more comfortable getting those scans done.

Anyhow, I'm going to mention my concerns at my appointment, but I won't know the technician because it's just a walk in ultrasound clinic that coordinates with my midwife. Just trying to remember that lots of people have healthy babies even after ultrasounds. I won't have another until 20+ weeks, and I don't believe I should have any after that.

The thing is that they are not just looking for markers for downs but for other syndromes that aren't compatible with life where you may decide actually you did prefer to terminate rather than carry on with a pregnancy with a baby you knew wouldn't make it and would have suffering in their short life.
The other thing is that your aunt won't have been told to abort for Down syndrome, they don't tell anyone to abort ever they only tell you your baby is at risk and that you can choose to terminate or not. The scan and blood test are screening tests not diagnostic so it would be crazy to even suggest termination based on them. - even if you have the diagnostic tests and your baby definitely has downs they still don't tell anyone to terminate its just one option you're given, so no doctor is going to be pressuring you into that, the tests are just so you have the necessary information. It's very unlikely that your baby has any syndrome at all of course.
Ultrasounds are safe. Please don't read horror stories online. They're not scientific they're just written by people who don't like the idea of scans and think they're intrusive - the overwhelming scientific evidence based on many many years of research and testing, and of course performing millions of ultrasounds, is that they are safe.

Hi Talia, I've started from my doc, not from reading online, she is the one who doesnt want to perform transvag for me. I know the general statistics are that everything is safe and it's a fact for sure that most of the women go on having healthy pregnancies after scans. I was just telling my part of the story.

Hi Talia, I've started from my doc, not from reading online, she is the one who doesnt want to perform transvag for me. I know the general statistics are that everything is safe and it's a fact for sure that most of the women go on having healthy pregnancies after scans. I was just telling my part of the story.

Yes of course and I completely understand. I don't like tv scans either and they always made me worry. I meant ultrasound in general with my comment sorry.

Maybe not the last one in particular, but I had 3 transvag scans during the 7 weeks, and my new doc thinks that just insane. She does believe it causes harm because, while it's not invasive, the cervix is still a bit open and together with bacteria, the waves go directly into your uterus... Of course, this is just her opinion.

I've also found this, if someone wants to read it.

Ultrasound scanning of pregnant women has been shown to significantly increase the likelihood of miscarriage, preterm labour, and even infant mortality.
Pregnant physiotherapists who provided ultrasound treatments for more than 20 hours per week were found to have an increased risk for spontaneous abortions.
One of the reasons used to support ultrasound scanning for pregnant women is that it can help to diagnose a condition called placental praevia. This is a condition where the placenta is implanted in the lower part of a woman's uterus, which can cause bleeding in the third trimester and increase her chance of being encouraged to have a caesarean section. A study of 4000 women found that of 250 women who were scanned and diagnosed with placental praevia, only 4 actually had placental praevia upon delivery. Who knows how many unnecessary caesareans have been done and how much needless anxiety women have experienced due to incorrect diagnoses of placental praevia wiith ultrasound?
Using ultrasound scanning to detect serious problems before birth does not necessarily save lives or reduce illness. There is evidence to suggest that using ultrasound to attempt to detect problems while a baby is in the womb can do more harm than good.
There is evidence to support that children who have been exposed to ultrasound while in their mothers' bellies have a greater chance of suffering from dyslexia and other speech and learning problems than children who have not been exposed to ultrasound.
Ultimately, the two main reasons why I believe that it is best to avoid ultrasound scanning during pregnancy are:

No matter what intensity and duration of ultrasound waves are used, there is always a possibility of these waves creating unnecessary thermal and physical pressure to a growing baby. Why take this risk?
There is always a possibility of practitioner error and/or a defective machine that can result in a higher than intended dose of ultrasonic waves to your baby.

This is some good information.
I am very weary of transvaginal ultrasounds...I do not think are safe, that's just may personal opinion, it's not based on anything I've actually experienced, but they make me very very nervous. I just don't think they are necessary (of course unless there is fear of ectopic pregNancy or something like that).
I have always refused them and just waited until.baby was developed enough to be seen abdominaly.

With that being said by 7-ish weeks you should be fine with an abdominal ultrasound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->