Traumatic births

I keep sitting down and trying to start a birth story but then my head goes all fuzzy, maybe tonight, I dont have any problems with Ava shes absolotely great, but when i think back i just think... why? i think? :S

i cant say too much on this becasue i was lucky enough to have a good experience.. what i will say is that i think its normal to revisit it regularly... its a HUGE experience, and one that was long and complicated.. revisiting it is how your brain makes sense of it, and eventually puts it to rest... the same happens with car accidents / loss of a loved one / other scary events...i think the problems occur when you are obsessing about it... if you cant think of anything else / cant sleep for thinking about it..then its likely that you are having some degree of PTSD, and its best to seek some help with that.
allow yourself to try to find the good things about it too.. i know there arent many, but when you find yourself starting to think about it all, think about it for a moment, then think about ava, and the fact shes here safely, and the fact that you survived it all too... balance the negative with a positive?
also.. try not to read into it too much... true PND often doesnt surface for many months after baby is born, its more likely to be a nasty combination of exhaustion, baby blues, crazy hormones, making you feel worse about it all too, so dont rush to add PND to your list of things to worry about chick.... thats only going to make you feel even worse. crying is normal, being an emotional wreck is normal.. i had an easy time and i still did both.

i think the PP's have some good advice with talking about it too... writing your birth story, even if you arent ready to post it yet... or talking thru all the bits you remember with someone.. maybe your mum might be good as she was there and will be able to identify with bits of it? or even the HV / someone less close to you... ill certainly listen if it helps xxx
just rest as much as you can, concentrate on ava & urself & sod everything else, it can wait. its still early days, and i promise it will be much better soon xxxxx

Mine was extremely traumatic and a truely horrendous experience which resulted in Phoebe being admitted to intensive care, we have lost all faith in the medical profession and it is only now 9 months on I feel I can talk to my OH about what happened.

I suffered from nightmares for weeks after and it affected me bonding with Phoebe. It does get easier though and I love being a mummy but i'm not sure I would want to risk going through all that again.

i had a tramatic birth and terrible problems after, i was diagonoised with post tramatic stress, the night mares are the worst, i found it difficult talking to start with, once i did tell someone i felt better then i found myself telling everyone every single detail, my daughters nearly 16 months old and i feel ok now and even ttc again, best thing you can do is talk about it when your ready. i still dream about it but not nightmares any more. if you ask your doctor you can request your notes that may help you xx

As you may have seen in the dec stars thread my birth story isnt really all that easy to talk about.

Right now its something I'd rather forget, th entire experience in hospital was hateful, I wanted to be at the birthing centre using the pool - ended up with a emergengy section alone with no one in theatre telling me anything.

Luckliy my local MW clinic run a counselling session called birth afterthoughts that you can attend any time after the birth nd go through things with a MW and talk about it.

I'm hoping in a few weeks when I'm bit more myself to go and run though things, I'm hoping that may put someof the demons to rest.

I feel like me a dnmy hubby were cheated out of what should have been the most memorable moments of our ives but it was so horrible for both of us we'd rather forget about it.

I have trouble feeling feeling like I have given birth at all...I have a baby but he was handed to me at some point after hours of torture.

Feel like he could have come from anywhere.

i know the feeling chuck, thankfully its not affected my feelings for her, but its not the same is it.

Obviously i cant compare this birth to any other, Dewi being my first but it certainly doesn't feel 'right'.

Things will get better for you.

My birth was no where near as traumatic as most of you girls on this thread have experienced, but it did upset me for many months afterwards.

I actually coped fairly well with the contractions up until being in active labour for nearly 30 hours when, being exhausted, and being told I was 'only' 7cm dilated, I asked for an epidural. Half an hour after the epidural, I was told I was 10cm. Tristan then got a bit stuck and was delivered by forceps. Even then, I was quite happy with the birth. It was afterwards, when they waited for the placenta, that things changed. My placenta wouldn't come away on its own, so I had to have my epidural topped up and was whisked away to theatre where it was manually removed (basically, the doctor puts her hand 'up there' and pulls it out). It went straightforwardly, although I did lose about a litre of blood and ended up on iron tablets for about three months.

The whole placenta experience did taint my birth experience for a long time - but I feel a lot better about it now. I realise that it wasn't anything that I did wrong and it was just one of those things. I am a bit worried about it happening again though, as apparantly you have a greater chance of a retained placenta if you have had it before. However, next time the doctor will have this in my notes and can be prepared for it.

I hope things get better for you girls.

xxx

Keep seeing about people not wanting to talk about it...but I was the opposite...it upset me so much to think about it, but I kept talking about it, going through everything over and over again, wanting to tell everyone every little detail haha! Infact sometimes I still do if anyone asks :S

really?

my mum told some friends tonight and listening to it made me well up i wanted her to stop!

I had a good birth experience, really. It was the aftermath that I have to say really upset me and still affects me. They overdosed my baby and treated her like she was poorly when there was never anything wrong. I still feel like she's really fragile and worry over every tiny thing. I worry that next time will be the same.

Talking about it helps me. I'll tell anyone who'll listen! :lol: With each person I tell it gets easier and makes me feel more confident that I'll do it all again.

My mum was telling the hv a few details about mine and i just looked at her and was like ohhh i forgot about that bit?! I really struggled to write my birth story been working on it bit by bit for three weeks and its super long though im not going to read it. its there for looking back on when i feel a bit better about it all

Is your birth story somewhere?? as I don't know your experience..

My first birth was great really, natural, in the water and I felt like I achieved something and coped well but I thought my second went completely wrong and has put me off having anymore children. They found out my baby was breech when I was already overdue, and she was a healthy size (big lol) at that so they had to try and turn her which didn't work, hurt me loads and sent me into labour a few hours later! well having a midwife tell me I had to wait until morning *twat* lol, an emergency c section and certain experiences really put me off! I know some women go through much worse than I did, but for me it was not nice emotionally and physically

Oh, just wanted to add that my first birth experience didn't start well, but did end well (thats another story though, that I won't bore you all with lol) but my little one was in SCBU for a week and I still blame myself constantly and feel like it affected me bonding with my little girl - who I obviously adore and always have, but it definitely affected things. Shes 3 and I still think about it,

nope ive not been able to write a birth story yet, i keep trying, i will, i just cant yet, the only good thing thats come out of it all is Ava and the fact that if i ever have any more kids i KNOW i will have an elective section planned with date and time and it will not have the chance to go like it did this time, even altho i was told i could still have a normal vaginal birth in the future, i dont want too i dont want to even try. I shudder at thinking about another labour,

Sorry that you had a bad experience, hopefully you will be able to talk about it soon. x

Mine was pretty traumatic and to this day, I still don't remember the whole thing, I just remember being in pain for hours on end and eventually having him.

My mum wrote my birth story :(

I'm sorry to read so many stories of bad birth experiences, but in a way it's good to know we're not all alone. My own labour sounds like it was perfect - it was precipitate, only took 2 hours from start to finish(so it says in my notes but I don't really know where they got that from) and my son is perfect and healthy which is the most important thing. My waters broke in the afternoon so we went to hospital. After being monitored I was told nothing would happen that day and I'd probably need to be induced the next afternoon. I was kept in because my blood pressure was 'slightly high'. I was all for going home but in retrospect it's just as well I stayed where I was. My husband was sent home at 9pm, I had been having some pains by then but was told nothing was happening. An hour or so later I was given pethidine, which I hadn't wanted but the midwife said that as I was no where near giving birth it would be ok and the baby wouldn't be affected at all. I said to her that I must be a real wuss to need drugs when I wasn't even really in labour. At about midnight the pain was really bad, I was on an ante natal ward with the curtains pulled round my bed, there wasn't anyone monitoring me or anything. I remember at one point being on all fours on the bed, dripping with sweat and feeling completely out of it. A midwife came to see how I was so I asked if I could have a bath, she was really happy for me to do that. In the bath I had an almighty pain and I remember thinking 'if this isn't labour then I won't be able to cope with it when it gets worse' I stood up to go and tell someone I wasn't coping. As soon as I stood up I felt the urge to push. I got dressed and was on all fours (again!) on the bathroom floor when the midwife knocked to see if I was ok. She came in, I said I felt like I needed a poo (tmi!!) and she said 'I think it may be your baby's head', one quick internal check later and I was told I was fully dilated and rushed to the delivery room. My son was born 2 pushes and about 15 mins later. I know this sounds great - all very quick, not pushing for hours, not in pain for hours etc. But in reality I was alone, my husband had no chance to get back to see his son born (and this baby took 7 years to conceive so we don't envisage having anymore at our ages) and I'd gone through the pain of 2nd stage labour with no support which was really scary. All the books you read, the programmes you watch, all go on about how great it is to have support and how much Dads love being involved etc. It makes me feel really sad to think that my husband missed out on that. He arrived about 30 mins after our son had been born, he didn't know that he had been born so had a bit of a shock when he walked into delivery room to see me sat there with a baby!
I do feel fortunate that it was quick, but I do feel that after all those years of waiting for this baby it's just so sad that we weren't together for his arrival. Oh and it really bugs me when people say I had an easy labour. Quick - yes, easy - no, not really!! My mother in law is insistent that it was easy, I managed to get her to concede that it was 'easyish'. Goodness knows how she knows, she wasn't there and neither was her son!! My midwife was really understanding, she said quick births can make you feel like you're in shock sometimes, which is true.
I do know my experience was no where near as bad as other people's but I suppose a lot of it is about your expectations isn't it?
It has helped to write it down.

I had a bad experience too. I took me several weeks to stop thinking about it all the time, and I still well up when I think about it now.

After 3 days in slow labour at home, I spent a day being monitored in hospital before having my waters broken. When I reached the point of pushing a few hours later, we couldn't get a midwife to stay in the room for ages, but eventually baby went into distress and I had mw and dr arguing at the foot of my bed over doing a c-section - they had to take it outside. I ended up in theatre with a spinal block and ventouse delivery and 2nd degree (extremely generous I'm told!) episiotomy. After packing me and stitching me up they discovered they'd lost a swab, and after hunting everywhere for it, there was only one place left. They decided to wait 8 hours until all my pain relief had worn off, but before my husband was allowed to come in for the doctor to remove the pack and spend what felt like forever rooting around trying to find the swab. Thankfully I had gas&air while they did it, the pain was worse than anything I'd had during the delivery. The midwife assisting had decided enough was enough and was halfway out the door to get help when the swab was eventually found.

I feel angry, upset and scared of what could have happened when I think about my experience, but it has eased in the 8 weeks since it happened. I find myself wondering what would have happened if we could've got someone to help sooner, and I feel guilty that I'm so upset about it because things could have ended up a lot worse with the various things that happened. Hopefully it will ease further going forward, but I'm not convinced I'll reach a point where I would consider risking having another baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->