Traumatised by Antenatal Classes!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Nic1981, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Nic1981

Nic1981 Well-Known Member

Has anyone attended their antenatal classes yet?

I started mine on Tuesday, most of it I knew already, but it was more that I wanted my OH to go so he knew what would be happening!

Anyway, the midwife had a video of a womans labour condensed down to 20 minutes. She said if we didn't want to see it obviously we could go.

I had always said I would never watch one of these but when it came down to it I wanted to and so decided to stay. Also my OH has fainted at the sight of blood before so I thought it would be good to see how he reacted.

All the way through I've been really relaxed about the labour, and just thought I'll take it as it comes and have pain relief if I need it, but this video has changed all that now and I'm terrified!

The pain of the contractions looked unbelievable, and the actual delivery - how can it stretch that much????!!!!

On the plus side my OH wasn't bothered by it at all and said he thought it wasn't as bad as he imagined!

Needless to say I went home and ate lots of chocolate to cheer myself up! I just have to try and erase it from my memory in the next 3 weeks!

2. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

bless you hun .. try your best not to think about it...the more you think about it the more you will build it up to be really scarey and will truly freak yourself out.

this is my first and i'm quite lookin forward to the birth :saywhat: yeah really!! the way i see it is its only 1 day out of life (well ish) it is gonna hurt but it aint gonna kill me is it?? if it gets really bad then i'll have drugs.....hopefully gonna do it without but if thats what it takes to get to see our baby then bring it on...i cant wait !!!!

try not to get worked up about it hun :hugs:

sara

xxxxxxx

3. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

ps chocolate is the way forward....eat it lots...everyday !!!it fixes everything! :rofl: :hugs:

sara

xxxxxx

4. gbromley2007

gbromley2007 Well-Known Member

my classes were good, but we didnt get taught breathing and the only vid we saw was about the hearing test they do. other than that all info really and we didnt get alot of that because the class was so big. just calm down and try and see it like 'everyone's birth is different and your in the best place for pain relief and such if needed' hugs x x x

5. 2nd time mum

2nd time mum Well-Known Member

Yes we are lucky that we don't actually see what's going on and I could imagine it would not be the best sights ever!

Pain relief is a wonderful thing and remember that everyone's labours are different and each person can handle it differently aswell. Enjoy the moment because childbirth is something that you will not experience too often in your lifetime and is an amazing thing aswell. As soon as baby is here you don't feel a thing either!

Good luck and stick to eating the chocolates and just think how lovely it will be once baby is here and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Childbirth is just the small bit inbetween that!