Travel to China

sunshine_nic

Reaction score
Hello ladies

I have some questions for anyone who's been to Beijing before as I'm due to go for a week when I'll be 24 weeks.

I've read conflicting information about vaccinations... some say it's a metropolitan city and if you're only going for a short time none are needed. Others have a long list of vaccinations you should have. I had loads of vaccinations when I backpacking in India a couple of years ago, so some of them would still be covering me, and I'm planning to be really careful with food and water etc... anyone with experience/advice?

Also, malaria-wise I've read there's no risk in the cities, but what about nearer the Wall and stuff? Should I just use insect repellant?

Any advice greatefully received!

Thanks xxx

I've been to Beijing and travelled to the wall. It was part of a big trip and so I had various injections before I went but if the advice is that in the city you will be fine then the wall is not that far out, I think all will be well. Its not as if you are going into paddy fields
Enjoy
x

Hi hun
I went to China and definitely didn't take any malaria precautions. I'm already vaccinated against Hep A, typhoid, yellow fever, tetanus and polio (think that's it) so I didn't have any special vaccinations for China.
If you've been to India then the same precautions with water and food apply really. I loved China so I'm sure you'll have a blast :)

Hi hun
I went to China and definitely didn't take any malaria precautions. I'm already vaccinated against Hep A, typhoid, yellow fever, tetanus and polio (think that's it) so I didn't have any special vaccinations for China.
If you've been to India then the same precautions with water and food apply really. I loved China so I'm sure you'll have a blast :)

Cheers chick

Someone mentioned vaccinations to me this morning and I started to panic... also just realised I need to sort my visa out! A year ago I would have had this organised well in advance. Preggo brain means I'm now a bit less on the ball :rofl:

Hi hun

Cheers chick

Someone mentioned vaccinations to me this morning and I started to panic... also just realised I need to sort my visa out! A year ago I would have had this organised well in advance. Preggo brain means I'm now a bit less on the ball :rofl:

Note on visas - if you're planning on going to Hong Kong and then back into mainland China you need a multi-entry visa....... me and my mate didn't know that and found out the hard way but we didn't have preg brains to blame :lol:

I just came back from Beijing 2 weeks ago (I was in my 11th week) and didn't get any special vaccinations before going. In the past, I've gotten Hep A and B before going. Didn't see any mosquitoes (i.e., malaria)--it was a bit cold still! If anything, I would just be careful the places you eat and stay with bottled water and better restaurants. Also bring hand sanitizer b/c you end up touching a lot of germy stuff when you're out and about with all the people around.

Oh, one last tip - vicks vaporub or tiger balm or something like that can be really useful to have with you. If you need to use public toilets you can put a little right underneath your nose and then all you'll smell is that, not the toilets. My friend went into the toilets at Beijing's main train station and when she came out she said "I have just smelt hell".... :lol:

Ewwww! :sick: Thanks for the tip!!

I'm thinking I might pop to the GP to get a prescription of antibiotics in case i get a bad case of the runs... whaddya reckon? All my reading says so many of the drugs are fake/not stored properly over there it's better to take your own just in case (and they're free now anyways!! :D)

x

Taking something for the runs is a good idea! I just took imodium when I was there but I don't know if you can have them when pregnant? I'd definitely take something pregnancy-safe with you cos I heard the same thing - a lot of the stuff you buy there is not genuine. Also, make sure you have your own suncream as a lot of their suncream has bleaching agents in it to make skin whiter!

Apart from some stinky toilets and one minor case of a dodgy tummy (which ironically hit me after eating in a 5 star hotel!) though, I loved China and found it to be really friendly, safe and fun so I hope you enjoy it too :)

Lucky you! I can't add any more advice - it's all been said already - but I can reiterate that the toilets are DISGUSTING. I have travelled to a lot of developing countries and only in China have I considered - but thankfully not actually - throwing up on the sopt...many times!

I have travelled to China before and I don't think that Bejing is a malaria risk (I think there is a website you can go on to check malaria zones). I don't think the wall is a risk either (where you will be anyway - Badling (sp?)).

As for other immunisations such as typhoid, diptheria, hep A etc etc - if you have been to India recently, you probably have immunity - check the details of when you were immunised and how long these vaccines give you cover for (some it is up to 10 years). There are a couple, like Hep A which only give you 10 years cover if you had the follow up vaccination (I think within a year of the original?).

Most cities have a travel clinic, if you are still worried, you should go along.

Have fun in Bejing - it is an amazing city.

xxx

Hi hun

Cheers chick

I noticed that you were from London - it is quite easy to get the visa from the Chinese Embassy in London (although I think they are only open to give out visas at certain times and I think on certain days). As I am from Aberdeen, we had to get a courier to get our visa for a fee - although, it wasn't too expensive and fairly quick service.

I am sooooo jealous, I really want to go back and visit more of China!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->