Travelling overseas with washable nappies

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
Hi girls, we hope to head off on some trips this summer, but where and what we do is going to depend on how much I am prepared to go against my ethics for a week or two!

From my talking with friends it seems that most people going on hols with a baby take a few disposable nappies and then buy more when they get there. Whilst I'd be prepared to do that if I knew for definite that I could get eco-disposables (such as Nature BabyCare or Moltex), I am NOT prepared to use the more usual, non-eco-disposables.

So that means we either have to make sure we know there's a shop that sells eco-disposables in the places that we're going to, or we have to take cloth nappies and all the paraphernalia they entail.

Anybody got any experience of doing this? I mean, how on earth do we manage to pack any other luggage if all our bags are full of nappies and wraps?

What are your usual cloth nappies and what kind of accommodation will you be using? As an example, we went away for 5 nights and I took Flips with us. LO was about 15 months old at that stage. I took all 20 stay dry inserts we have and all of our wraps (9 Flip outers and a Thirsties one) - that lot was about the same size as 1 pack of sposies and lasted us the full 6 days. I did wash them out by hand in the bath/shower each evening and they would have been fine to use (I probably would have only washed and reused each nappy once, just in case I wasn't getting them totally clean) but I didn't actually have to use any I'd washed in the end. As well as that, I took enough night nappies to last us, as I didn't want to be having to wash them but you could take disposables for nights if you wanted to save space - they were quite bulky. If you had somewhere with a washing machine it would be even easier. Typically, on our last day there I found a washing machine we could have used!

Apart from the nappies themselves, the only other stuff I took were some wet bags (but plastic bags will be fine!) and a small bottle of my usual detergent. Next time I'd probably also take some string and some pegs just in case I can't find anywhere to hang them but you can buy them where you are if you need them. I'd definitely take cloth again, it was really easy.

You could take your washable wraps and use disposable inserts, which you could take with you, to make sure you get eco-ones. The wraps would be simple to hand wash, and will dry in no time, and you wouldn't need many. Where are you exactly (I'll PM you)

You could take your washable wraps and use disposable inserts, which you could take with you, to make sure you get eco-ones. The wraps would be simple to hand wash, and will dry in no time, and you wouldn't need many. Where are you exactly (I'll PM you)

Thanks for your PM Little Pants. And thanks to both you and Rachel_C for your posts on here. We use basic Tots Bots covered with MotherEase wraps. Oh, and eco-disposable liners to catch the poo. I have to say that I have no idea what disposable inserts are. What do they insert into?

Accommodation could be anything and anywhere ... all depends on what we decide re the nappies! Could be family's house, hotel, self-catering, tent ...

we just went to NZ and i took the cloth nappies with us about 15 pocket nappies plus extra inserts but we ended up using sposies for the holiday as while we were flying then the earthquake hit Christchurch ( where we were headed ) and when we arrived there was no running water in the city and when it did come back on it needed boiling before using and there were restrictions and my friends house where we were staying didnt get water back on for most of our time there so we were walking to the school to get water each morning, and i didnt feel up to getting extra water just to wash nappies when sposies worked out ok pricewise for pretty eco ones

Im taking notes for our upcoming cruise!!akk

but when we go to America and australia i will just pack nappies for 3 days and then wash since we will be with family!

oh also i cosign about Flips...Iwent to wales with 10 inserts and 3 wraps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->