Travelling solo with Baby.....

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by BabyMama2010, Jun 3, 2011.

1. BabyMama2010

BabyMama2010 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I have a rear facing child car seat. I know that we are not allowed to put these on the front passenger seat in the car if air bags are installed.....

So how do I travel with bubba on my own then? :baby:

Surely I cant keep an eye on him if he's in the back and I'm driving????

Sorry if this is a bit of a thick question! :wacko:

2. msmissa

msmissa Mommy of 1 & expecting

I bought A little fun mirror to put on the rear headrest. Aiden loves it. He can look at himself and I can watch him from my rearview mirror. Hope this helps and good luck

3. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

We have a mirror too so I can watch Emma. Although it can be kind of distracting at first. At least it was for me. I was watching Emma more than I was the road in the beginning. :haha:

4. iHeartbaby#1

iHeartbaby#1 Well-Known Member

My LO falls asleep the instant he hits the car seat so i don't have much problems. On long drives i reach back and grab his hand to make sure he's ok.

I'm going to look into those mirrors!

5. KayBea

KayBea Mummy to Xanthia Lily

LO falls asleep by the time were out the driveway...
    X

6. BabyMama2010

BabyMama2010 Well-Known Member

Rayan also falls asleep, I'll look into those mirrors though. Thanks Ladies. xx

7. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

I moved my LO to the front, obviously turned airbag off, she is more settled this way cos she can see me and I feel better cos I can see her, especially on long journeys.

xx

8. shellie82

shellie82 Well-Known Member

i have lo in front with airbag switched off so i can see him and he can see me!!

9. kiraelliott

kiraelliott Mum & due #2 :)

I don't have an airbag in the front passenger side so I always have LO next to me, it's nicer, she does have a tendency to get grizzly too... who wouldn't being cooped up in a car seat like that! lol xxx

10. Parkep

Parkep Very happy mom

Totally recommended the mirror!!

11. sez

sez Well-Known Member

Definately look into the mirrors - really great for us :thumbsup:

12. CharlieKeys

CharlieKeys Well-Known Member

I have him in the front with me with the airbags switched off. Though (it's probably been said) you can buy mirrors that when you look in yours you can see what they're up too! :)

13. _Vicky_

_Vicky_ Mum to twins

awww i love the idea of LO next to you when driving - I used to hate them being in the back but with two there was no choice. The mirror works fabulously - my sis gave me ours but they are specifically for car seat viewing I think

14. blondey

blondey Well-Known Member

I am going to look at getting one of the mirrors too as I can never tell if LO has fallen asleep on a long journey and then when we get there I never know if she needs a nap.

We can't put her in the front as even when you turn the main front passenger airbag off, we still have side impact airbags in the passenger side which you can't turn off.

x

15. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

When I bought my car I checked into the side airbags and apparently by law they have to switch off when the front ones are switched off. Can't remember where I found that out but I do remember it being a nightmare to get any info on side bags x

16. hattiehippo

hattiehippo Well-Known Member

When Tom was littler and I went on a long journey with him on my own, I always put him in the front with the airbag turned off cos he used to get really upset on his own in the back. I reckoned it was safer to have him happy in the front than screaming in the back which distracted me from driving.

But if you don't want to put yours in the front, the mirrors are great. You can get a Tinylove one which looks like a frog and has a water filled pad for LO to kick with their feet. I still use it with Tom at 17 months as he has an ERF seat and he still kicks it on and off now.