• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Tropical Fish

lesleyann

Mummy
Reaction score
Ok so i have decided im not aloud Pet pet's at my house and i really would like something and decided fish are pretty to look at and you can always change things in the tank ect

I had cold water fish when i was younger witch where very very low maintenance but i want something pretty and different but i have no idea where to start lol i have a small Tank witch i can use to start for some small fish and i no ill need to buy stones, water drops, filter and heater and of course fish food lol

Anyone got any good sugestions for tropical fish? I really like those little neon type ones and are there any fish that should not be put together ? any info would help of anything like this since it was years and years ago since i even had a fish lol Also how offten do i need to clean the tank and what are those little things you can put in the tank**living things lol** that like clean the tank kind of to lol

Hey hun iv got a tropical fish tank and its awesome i love it :) i have tetra fish which are pretty cool :) and they can be mixed with livebearer mollies :) which is what i also have :) not sure if ur in uk or us sorry lol, but if ur in the uk pets at home are really good with helping you pick out stuff for your tank :) we bought 5 tetras for £5 :) and the mollies were ten for £10 we still have them all and the tank is pretty clean after a month now just make sure you get an air filter, heater and a pump in your tank and away you go , id set your tank up 4-5 days before you buy fish and set your heater so the temp is btween 26-27 oC :) xxx

yeah im in the uk at the moment im looking at whole tank set ups *without fish* on ebay and found some good deals with tank,filter,heater ect so im watching that.. might take a trip down to pets at home later and see what they say :)

aww good good :) i got nightmare before christmas stuff in mine lol :) x

Don't get angel fish as they nip other small fish.Tetras,glo-lights,pencil fish,guppys,mollys etc are all good together

Siameses fighters are lovely but don't get 2 males as they fight to the death and a female won't last long either.

We have neon tetras and gold point neons in ours atm, its really pretty and i love it! Oh n we also have a male guppy who has a really cute bright yellow and black tail!

I also agree that pets at home are good and can give u any info u need :)

Good luck with it! :happydance:

I find independant aquatic stores good for advice and they seem to be popping up all over the show.
I've had my tank for about 2 & 1/2 years now, my best advice would be to have live plants, rather than plastic ones, as its good for the fish and water. I clean mine about once a week, which was whats reccomended. You can buy good books about tropical fish tanks which are great as a refresher or when starting out.

I keep platys, corydoras and a few types of tetra and a couple of gourami & clown loaches, i also have a bristle nose plec. If you get anything with showy fins/tails be sure you don't get any fin nippers as they'll literally eat them alive. Also try and avoid anything with "tiger" in its name, although very pretty they're quite aggressive sadly.

My bristle nose plec is very good at algae eating too!!!

Good luck and enjoy them, they're good fun to watch!

Did any of you do the whole fishless cycle with your tanks or fish-in cycle ?

I remember when i got my first cold water fish we just put the water in added some water stuff let it sit for about a day or 2 then added fish. But i look at this fish forum and there all do a fishless cycle for 4-6weeks ect ect ??

Was thinking to start with some neons and guppies is that ok? and if i decided i wanted 1more type of fish what would be best to put in with them?

Yeah my DH had to cycle his tank for ages before introducing fish but its a really huge tank so not sure if you need to do that with smaller tanks? x

Yes no matter how big the tank you need to cycle which takes around 6 weeks.
This is because the filter needs to establish benificial bacteria which starts the nitrogen cycle.
Read this
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

We have a tropical fish tank. We have Neon Tetra's, a guppy (really pretty) a blue/purple Japanese fighter and a shrimp. We did buy an angel fish and a Tiger Barb, but they bit the other fish and had to be seperated and taken back.

Good luck with it, you can have some great fun setting up your tank and choosing fish. They make nice pet's xx

My friend just got herself a marine fish tank, she got the tank and fish and everything together as someone was moving away and selling up lol.
It's so pretty to look at, you could sit there for hours just watching them.

I say go to a proper aquatics store to get advice esp if you have never had tropical/marine fish.

Just brought a 4ft fish tank with stand, some fish, heater,gravel, ornaments ect for £70 :happydance: just need to get a new filter for it..

The fish are guppies, Neons, Mollies? and a BIG black spotty sucker fish and some catfish and by the looks of it some mollie/guppies lol since there are some babies in there lol

Any advice ?? Also what filter will i need for a 4ft tank?

Just brought a 4ft fish tank with stand, some fish, heater,gravel, ornaments ect for £70 :happydance: just need to get a new filter for it..

The fish are guppies, Neons, Mollies? and a BIG black spotty sucker fish and some catfish and by the looks of it some mollie/guppies lol since there are some babies in there lol

Any advice ?? Also what filter will i need for a 4ft tank?

Slow down, lol:hugs:

Does the person still have the filter sponges? If not you have a big problem....
The filter sponges need to be used since they have bacteria on them that has established the nitrogen cycle...
If shes thrown the sponges, you will have to start the cycling process all over again and this will more than likely kill the fish since there will be high ammonia levels in the water when it starts cycling again.
Has the seller kept the fish in this tank without a filter?
I really hope not:cry: The water will be toxic.

Do you mind sending me the ebay link of the tank you just bought?

its not off ebay its from someone who lives like 2/3 streets away.. there ment to be bringing it all round soon

Awww I hope they have the sponges that AutumnRose was talking about, poor fishes! I suggest doing some research before they bring you the tank if possible about proper care of tropical fishes. Have you seen the tank before you bought it? Is it in good condition? Do you know how old it is? If the fish die, make sure you read up on tank set up and tropical fish care before getting more, not to be mean, it just sounds like your jumping in without knowing what you need to know, tropical fish need a lot more maintenance then cold water fish and they're temperature needs are very specific. Good luck, I hope it all works out.

got the sponges, we was planning on buying an empty tank and doing it all day by day set up ect.. but they gave us fish with it

you also need all the chemicals to hun x

got the sponges, we was planning on buying an empty tank and doing it all day by day set up ect.. but they gave us fish with it

Ok, are the sponges being used in her filter? They need to be in tank water otherwise they will dry out and the bacteria will die.

And some filters need Carbon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"