TSH 5.1 should I start medicine? Ttc

Pearly86

Reaction score
Hey all,
Need your advice guys who all are already pregnant m not yet still into ttc got my check up done my b12 came low and also a lol bit hight TSH. Which is 5.1 my doc told me if it was me I wouldn't have bothered but since ur ttc I will recommend go lower it please throw me some advice as should I start and also once I start willi have to be hooked to medicine forever m
Kind a scared to start thyroid med as 6 months back my level were 3.4 pls share ur exp

That is too high especially for TTC. I only have half a thyroid now and i'm not on meds (nor was before i had the other half removed) and mine is 1.78. Optimal for TTC is between 1.5 and 2.5 so i'm told. If they are offering you meds - TAKE IT! Most of my family are on thyroid meds for life and it's usually one pill a day, it's no big deal to take with your morning cuppa. :thumbup: It can only be a good thing to bring that number down while TTC x Gl x

So once I start I'll always have to be on it?

usually you are on it for life, but if you have no symptoms with high levels then after ttc you could maybe come off it and see how you feel -your dr would be best to advise you, but my family members are on them for life because the symptoms of hypothyroidism are not nice and the meds make their levels normal and they are able to function.

Have you seen an endocrinologist? There can be a variety of causes for hypo/hyper thyroid. In my case, I'm in remission from Graves' Disease (hyper).

The endo would be able to tell you whether it's a good idea to take meds due to "sub-clinical" findings in order to conceive, and whether the medicine itself could cause you to be reliant on it for life.

You may end up needing meds in the long run, either way. I think you asked a really good question! I'm wondering if you've had any difficulty (1 yr +) ttc or if you are symptomatic (tired, hungry, weight gain, depression etc)? Honestly, meds for hypo are REALLY well studied and EXTREMELY effective for those that need them.

Personally, If I were symptomatic or having difficulty ttc- I'd take the meds!! Thyroid function has a huge impact on your quality of life. Even sub-clinically- you might be surprised at how much better you feel. If I had no symptoms and no difficulty ttc- I'd likely take a wait and watch approach. But, that's just me!

Thanks a lot for yor reply guys, m not having any stmptoms but yes I'll give my background as to what's happening
Yes we have been trying from past one year but last year my weight gained and I got pcod which within three months I got rid of by losing weight and improving my diet,
So we started ttc from march 2013, and I was already 61 kg by then and got pcod my period got longer but in nov 2013 I found out I have pcod so doc told me to go for lifestyle change and that time I got my thyroid check as well it was 3.4 so she said it's fine , by feb 2014 I lost 8 kgs and got myself to 53 which is my current weight right now and got myself checked again and pcod got over since April we states again ttc but it's been 3 months no result yet , but ever since march 2013 I also got something which was like lightheadedness so I thought it's because my period is wacky that's why but once I got over my pcod and period became regular still I was feeling same so I thought of getting myself checked again and this time I found out my b12 is v low and also she checked my thyroid as well and it came out to be 5.1 so that's my history till now do u guys see any symptom regarding thyroid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->