TSH levels??

laullypop

Reaction score
I little back story, I have an almost 2 year old now and have been ntnp/TTC since having him. I have PCOS and It look us over 3 years to conceive him and we had 2 miscarriages.

I've had bloods tested this week and have been told all is normal apart from my TSH levels are at 5.33. At first my GP wanted to test again in 6 months but after talking to them they agreed 3 months.

All I've read says that it's unlikely to get pregnant with levels over 2-3 and there is a high chance of miscarriage or complications. However my GP stated "as far as I know you are fine to get pregnant and we'll refer you to a consultant if you do". She said she wouldn't stop TTC because of this.

Anyone got any experience with this?
Thanks x

I don't. I'm hoping to help bring attention to your post.

Would it be possible to get the referral before getting pregnant? I hate that finding the right doctor can be such a hassle! Good luck to you!

I'm going through something somewhat similar. We have been TTC for 7 months now and I was recently referred to an IVF clinic to run some tests etc. I had a MC 10 years ago after getting pregnant by accident with my boyfriend at the time. Now it's my DH and I trying. He doesn't have kids. Anyways, my TSH levels are 4.14 as of March and they don't seem to think anything is out of the ordinary with that (I was diagnosed with hypothyroid like 8 years ago), but yet when I had called them asking about maybe my thyroid being the issue that's when they referred me to an IVF clinic. She said "We can change your levothyroxine (thyroid med) dosage, but it's not guaranteed that that will help you conceive" and she said it was listed in my notes from the doc that I'm a 'good candidate' for infertility due to my past MC, ovarian cysts, thyroid, and probably my age (almost 33) and weight. I did read that TSH levels affect pregnancy, but my docs aren't telling me anything about that at the moment so that's annoying. I will see what the IVF clinic says at the end of the month when I go in for my first appointment.

I don't. I'm hoping to help bring attention to your post.

Would it be possible to get the referral before getting pregnant? I hate that finding the right doctor can be such a hassle! Good luck to you!

Thank you! No unfortunately they don't think it's a problem unless I get pregnant so won't refer me until then.

I'm going through something somewhat similar. We have been TTC for 7 months now and I was recently referred to an IVF clinic to run some tests etc. I had a MC 10 years ago after getting pregnant by accident with my boyfriend at the time. Now it's my DH and I trying. He doesn't have kids. Anyways, my TSH levels are 4.14 as of March and they don't seem to think anything is out of the ordinary with that (I was diagnosed with hypothyroid like 8 years ago), but yet when I had called them asking about maybe my thyroid being the issue that's when they referred me to an IVF clinic. She said "We can change your levothyroxine (thyroid med) dosage, but it's not guaranteed that that will help you conceive" and she said it was listed in my notes from the doc that I'm a 'good candidate' for infertility due to my past MC, ovarian cysts, thyroid, and probably my age (almost 33) and weight. I did read that TSH levels affect pregnancy, but my docs aren't telling me anything about that at the moment so that's annoying. I will see what the IVF clinic says at the end of the month when I go in for my first appointment.

It would be interesting to know, there's so much conflicting information out there!
According to my GP they say anything over 5 is considered hypothyroidism but i know some parts of the country say over 4.
And from what I've read for TTC and pregnancy it should be a lot lower. :dohh:

Well mine is over 4 while on meds for about 8 years. I don't remember what my level was before I started medication. So that's just my level while 'managed' haha. I called my doc to change my dosage thinking that was the issue as to why I'm not getting pregnant, but that's when they referred me to Boston IVF. I did also read about thyroid levels effecting conceiving, but like you said there is so much conflicting info out there.

I take "Levothyroxine Sodium 75 MCG" every day and my TSH is checked once a year. In March 2018, it was: TSH W/REFLEX TO FT4 4.15 (mIU/L)

and on my doctor's portal they list the below pregnancy info, but the nurse I spoke with thought that is for WHEN you are pregnant but from what I've read online people say closer to 1 is better to get pregnant.

- Pregnancy Ranges
- First trimester 0.26-2.66
- Second trimester 0.55-2.73
- Third trimester 0.43-2.91

That's interesting! I would have thought it would make sense to lower tsh levels before pregnancy regardless. Especially as it's known that TSH levels do rise during pregnancy you would think they would want it somewhat under control before if TTC.

I know! I was thinking why would they just change my dosage anyways?? But I think they're just leaving it all up to the IVF clinic cuz they will run blood tests. Sighhhhhhh lol any news with yours?

No nothing. I've got a blood test booked for 26th October and have been referred to the fertility clinic but they currently have a 4-5 month waiting list.

Can't see my getting pregnant before then anyway as AF is so irregular currently on CD57 :wacko:

A TSH over 5 means you have clinical hypothyroidism, which could definitely impact your fertility. You should ask for them to run a full thyroid panel, including T3, T4 and antibodies. I believe my fertility doctor always said they would like TSH to be less than 3 while TTC, and less than 2 during pregnancy. I’ve been taking the lowest dose of levothyroxine (25) my entire pregnancy, because my TSH was 2.9 at 4 weeks. (It always bounced around between 1.5 and 3 while I was TTC)

Good luck! I hope you can be seen before October. The waiting game sure sucks.

A TSH over 5 means you have clinical hypothyroidism, which could definitely impact your fertility. You should ask for them to run a full thyroid panel, including T3, T4 and antibodies. I believe my fertility doctor always said they would like TSH to be less than 3 while TTC, and less than 2 during pregnancy. I’ve been taking the lowest dose of levothyroxine (25) my entire pregnancy, because my TSH was 2.9 at 4 weeks. (It always bounced around between 1.5 and 3 while I was TTC)

Good luck! I hope you can be seen before October. The waiting game sure sucks.

Thank you for sharing! Unfortunately after many phone calls they are not willing to test any sooner so im just waiting.
With my cycle being so irregular and long (currently on CD60+) I doubt I could get pregnant naturally, I just hope they do something after the next blood test!

I'm back after having my first CD3 blood work done. IVF doc called me because my TSH levels are at 5.6!! They were at 4.15 in March when my primary care doc checked them. Oy. So I'm waiting for my primary care doc to change my dosage and send me a new prescription. IVF doc said my levels should be at 2.5 to conceive.

On a side note, I have all sorts of 'fun' testing waiting to get done this month for my infertility.

I feel best at a TSH of 1 or less. If your doctors let you sit at 4+ TSH even when you ask for more help, I think you need new doctors.

You should see an endocrinologist for your thyroid care not a GP. They are the experts and don’t rely simply on the range deemed appropriate by the lab to make their diagnosis and treatment plan. Thyroid and PCOS are related, I also have PCOS but no cysts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->