Ttc after ectopic?

Loulou04

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m just wanting advice really. I have a 14 month old and 2 older kids and I am 36, I had an ectopic pregnancy and had my left tube removed in October last year this pregnancy was not planned and was a bit of a shock but my OH keeps mentioning having another one a lot recently (the 14 mo is his) and he only has 1 (biologically) so part of me wants to give him another but the other part of me tells me I’m too old, he’s only 30. Also what are the chances of being able to get pregnant with 1 tube at my age? Has anyone been through an ectopic and tube removed and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy? Also I have the coil fitted so not sure when I would be able to get it taken out and feel like time is not on my side.

I’ve had an ectopic pregnancy, mine was treated with methotrexate rather than surgery so I still have my tube, although it is damaged.
Apparently only having one tube does not really decrease fertility as the other tube can reach around and catch the egg. Did they not explain this to you when you had surgery?

Not really as the pregnancy wasn’t planned and I said I didn’t want anymore so they fitted coil for me as they did say was still a chance I could get pregnant but no details really as I wasn’t planning on having another. Thank you for your reply tho was helpful :)

Hi Loulou, I've not had an ectopic but my sister did and went on to have 2 successful pregnancies with no issues, the first about a year after the ectopic. I understand that you think you are getting older but there are many many women who continue to have babies well in to their 40's so there is still time. It may be worth giving your gp a call and asking in the practice nurse is doing coil removals at the moment - different practices are doing different levels of patient contact. Even if they aren't able to schedule it at the moment it at least gives you an idea of time scale, and also gives you an opportunity to think it all through clearly before you move ahead with whatever decision you choose.

Hi Loulou, I've not had an ectopic but my sister did and went on to have 2 successful pregnancies with no issues, the first about a year after the ectopic. I understand that you think you are getting older but there are many many women who continue to have babies well in to their 40's so there is still time. It may be worth giving your gp a call and asking in the practice nurse is doing coil removals at the moment - different practices are doing different levels of patient contact. Even if they aren't able to schedule it at the moment it at least gives you an idea of time scale, and also gives you an opportunity to think it all through clearly before you move ahead with whatever decision you choose.
Great advice thank you!

I had an ectopic and my left tube removed in November 2018. I went on to get my bfp in February 2019 and had my little boy in November 2019. We started trying again in May 2020 and I got my positive in July 2020 and 12 weeks away from meeting baby number 2. My first consultant was useless and didn’t explain anything to me. My second consultant was great and as has been previously said, the tube moves to catch the egg if it’s coming from the other ovary. I was so worried it would lower our chances of conceiving, but it doesn’t seem to have caused any issues. Good luck for whatever you decide to do!

I had an ectopic and my left tube removed in November 2018. I went on to get my bfp in February 2019 and had my little boy in November 2019. We started trying again in May 2020 and I got my positive in July 2020 and 12 weeks away from meeting baby number 2. My first consultant was useless and didn’t explain anything to me. My second consultant was great and as has been previously said, the tube moves to catch the egg if it’s coming from the other ovary. I was so worried it would lower our chances of conceiving, but it doesn’t seem to have caused any issues. Good luck for whatever you decide to do!
Thank you! Our bodies are amazing aren’t they? I mean to know to do things like that it absolutely amazes me lol. Congratulations to you on your pregnancy

Also were you given early scan to check everything was ok? as I heard it can happen again and that worries me l. Maybe I’m being too paranoid and that’s what’s making me think twice lol

I don't have any experience personally but I have read a lot of Stories on this website specifically of ladies who have gone on to have successful pregnancies after having a tube removed.

Also were you given early scan to check everything was ok? as I heard it can happen again and that worries me l. Maybe I’m being too paranoid and that’s what’s making me think twice lol
Sorry I didn’t get a notification for this. I actually wasn’t.. I thought I would be too and asked about it when I called to say I was pregnant. They said unless I had pain they wouldn’t scan. So I’ve always booked a private scan for around 7 weeks just for my own reassurance

Not really as the pregnancy wasn’t planned and I said I didn’t want anymore so they fitted coil for me as they did say was still a chance I could get pregnant but no details really as I wasn’t planning on having another. Thank you for your reply tho was helpful :)
Get your coil removed and give it a shot! You are at no higher a risk of another ectopic as they have removed the damaged tube. I’m nearly 32 and trying for #2. Unfortunately I have a 1/10 risk of another ectopic as my damaged tube is still there.
After an ectopic, you will be given a scan at 6 weeks in all subsequent pregnancies.

Sorry I didn’t get a notification for this. I actually wasn’t.. I thought I would be too and asked about it when I called to say I was pregnant. They said unless I had pain they wouldn’t scan. So I’ve always booked a private scan for around 7 weeks just for my own reassurance
I get pain all month around so I don’t think I would notice, I didn’t notice last time it was picked up on a scan so that scares me.

Get your coil removed and give it a shot! You are at no higher a risk of another ectopic as they have removed the damaged tube. I’m nearly 32 and trying for #2. Unfortunately I have a 1/10 risk of another ectopic as my damaged tube is still there.
After an ectopic, you will be given a scan at 6 weeks in all subsequent pregnancies.
Thank you :) I haven’t spoken to my OH about it yet as I’m still thinking about it. Fx’d for a healthy bfp for you soon

Just a little update. We have decided to try for another and I’m currently on a waiting list for my coil to be removed, I hope we don’t have to wait too long! Thank you for your help everyone and good luck to all of you ttc :)

All the best to you, I'll keep everything crossed and look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Thank you all. Will update when I have an appointment to have the coil removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->