TTC after Methotrexate shot

JPARR01

2 girls and 1 boy otw!
Reaction score
Hello ladies! Hopefully someone on here can help me out with my questions.

The doctors confirmed I was having a miscarriage but my levels stopped dropping at 63.1 and went up to 64 on Monday.

The doctors decided to give me the Methotrexate shot on Tuesday (March 22). I go back to the doctor tmrw for an exam and more blood work to see if my levels have went down.

I have read that you are not supposed to TTC for 3 months after the shot. Has anyone on here conceived right away after the shot or longer? Does anyone have any info that they can share with me with their experience.
Thanks all!

Hi there,

My husband took methotroxate to help his dodgy knee out, doctors told him we needed to wait 8 - 9 weeks before ttc as it can cause birth defects, more risky if its the Mum taking the drug rather than the Dad - but its still a wise precaution.

Much love to you, and hope you have that bundle of joy in your arms one day soon xxx

Thank you for replying! How long was he taking it for?

Hi sweetie, the meth shot as far as I'm aware is VERY potent and could endanger a subsequent pregnancy if you conceive too soon. It also depletes your Folic acid reserves so I would advise you to start taking plenty of that in preparation for TTC. I'm sorry for your loss xxx

He was taking it for quite a while - enough to be in his bloods for a few weeks.... its a precaution to hold on for a little bit. In the end it'll be worth it I'm sure xxx

I meant to say in my original message (BFP after waiting till the methotrexate is out of your system). OOPS! Well I saw the doctor on Friday and she said to wait 2 cycles till we can start TTC again. She said I had a very low dose and my numbers the day of the shot were at 64. I go to a new doctor on April 14 so I will see what they have to say when they look over my records. All of you ladies are the best! XX

My doctor said to wait until my HcG goes all the way to 0 and then to wait one full cycle (i.e. get another period), and then it's okay to start TTC. However, my HcG was much higher than yours so it will probably take several more weeks for it to drop, and then another 4-5 week to get a regular period. So that would put me at 10-12 weeks, which is similar to the 3 months I read online.

I do plan on starting a high dose folic acid as soon as my HcG hits 0 (we're supposed to avoid folic acid while the methotrexate is "working" and not start prenatals again until you hit 0).

Hope this helps. Thinking of you! Maybe we can be TTC after methotrexate buddies in a month or two :)

My doctor said to wait until my HcG goes all the way to 0 and then to wait one full cycle (i.e. get another period), and then it's okay to start TTC. However, my HcG was much higher than yours so it will probably take several more weeks for it to drop, and then another 4-5 week to get a regular period. So that would put me at 10-12 weeks, which is similar to the 3 months I read online.

I do plan on starting a high dose folic acid as soon as my HcG hits 0 (we're supposed to avoid folic acid while the methotrexate is "working" and not start prenatals again until you hit 0).

Hope this helps. Thinking of you! Maybe we can be TTC after methotrexate buddies in a month or two :)

Well I called the doctor today for my HCG level and it went up to 67 from 64. I freaked out and the doctor said that it is normal for the numbers to jump around and usually around day 7 (which will be tmrw) the numbers will start to drop. I am praying that they drop. I go in tmrw for more bloodwork and hoping for good news.

I would love to be TTC buddies epump!!!!! Who knows when my bleeding will stop though and when my first AF will come...

Yep, don't worry too much - my numbers went up right after the shot and then started falling around Day 7. Hang in there, keep me posted. xx

Mine was a methotrexate shot back in Nov. Dr. said I could TTC again after one period. Had one really short cycle but normal cycles started Dec. 28. I have been keeping track of cycles since then (never did before). DH wasn't quite on board with TTC until this past cycle, but now he's ready. I guess he didn't realize how important it was for me to TTC again after MC. Since we weren't trying before the MC, he just assumed we'd wait.

So now we're on the same page, but I'm a little scared now. I don't know what I'll do if I have another ectopic with metho. That stuff is serious! Never want to do it again! I'll just keep thinking positive thoughts that it's successful this time. Hopefully this month. :winkwink:

Mine was a methotrexate shot back in Nov. Dr. said I could TTC again after one period. Had one really short cycle but normal cycles started Dec. 28. I have been keeping track of cycles since then (never did before). DH wasn't quite on board with TTC until this past cycle, but now he's ready. I guess he didn't realize how important it was for me to TTC again after MC. Since we weren't trying before the MC, he just assumed we'd wait.

So now we're on the same page, but I'm a little scared now. I don't know what I'll do if I have another ectopic with metho. That stuff is serious! Never want to do it again! I'll just keep thinking positive thoughts that it's successful this time. Hopefully this month. :winkwink:

I totally agree with you! I am terrified, but, we HAVE to say POSITIVE!!!

It's the same way I approach roller coasters. The odds are in our favor. We just gotta trust that it will be ok and it will!

Hi, everyone-- I am brand new to this site. I was so sorry to hear of your experiences, but I am glad I found your posts. It's easy to feel very alone going though something like this--especially with happy, pregnant friends all around--and I wish I'd looked to connect with people sooner. JPARR, I got MTX for my ectopic pregnancy the very same day as you!

Have you all been able to function normally through this? I have been in pain and bleeding for over 5 weeks straight now, and I'm starting to completely fall apart. My job is pretty challenging (mentally demanding and long hours), and I'm having a really hard time staying at it. I'm trying to figure out whether this is normal. My doc seemed to think I should just go straight back to work after the MTX. I did take a few days off a while back, but now I've been in pain and bleeding for over 5 weeks, and the wheels are really starting to come off...

Hi Girls. I miscarried my ectopic naturally. I started bleeding properly last Friday 14th Apr. I'm waiting till I finish bleeding then starting my OPKs to see if I ovulate this next cycle. Fingers x'd for us all!

Hi, everyone-- I am brand new to this site. I was so sorry to hear of your experiences, but I am glad I found your posts. It's easy to feel very alone going though something like this--especially with happy, pregnant friends all around--and I wish I'd looked to connect with people sooner. JPARR, I got MTX for my ectopic pregnancy the very same day as you!

Have you all been able to function normally through this? I have been in pain and bleeding for over 5 weeks straight now, and I'm starting to completely fall apart. My job is pretty challenging (mentally demanding and long hours), and I'm having a really hard time staying at it. I'm trying to figure out whether this is normal. My doc seemed to think I should just go straight back to work after the MTX. I did take a few days off a while back, but now I've been in pain and bleeding for over 5 weeks, and the wheels are really starting to come off...

Sara, that stuff is serious! I think it took a lot out of me for several weeks, but I think 5 weeks of bleeding sounds like a lot. I'm not sure how far along you were, but I had some bleeding before the MTX and maybe a day or two after. Then a couple of weeks later, what I thought was a normal period. My doctor downplayed the pain, but I really felt pain to the bone. I have two LOs and if they climbed on me or jumped into my lap, it still hurt weeks later. I would say if you're still bleeding in a week, you should definitely call the dr and let them know what's going on.

Hi LittleBird-- I hear you on the pain. Mine was weird for a while there, like it was very deep. "To the bone," as you put it, sounds accurate. Now it's better, but still really intense at times. Funny how different doctors can be too. Mine gave me prescription pain meds, while it sounds like yours wasn't too concerned about the pain. Huh.

Best wishes to you!

Great, now I'm wondering where my happy pills are?!?! :haha:

Are you still bleeding? I hope you can get to a point when this is truly resolved so you feel like it's done and you know what to expect next. I am in a bit of limbo myself and it would be so good to know where I was in my cycle so I could feel like things were back to normal.

WOW! That is crazy how we got the shot on the same day. My HCG went down to 0 last week and I stopped bleeding on April 12. Have you been getting your levels checked? If not, I would def go and get them checked out.

I went to my new doctor on April 14 and he said we can start ttc again in June.

Let me know how you make out! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->