Ttc and citalopram

ridley2909

Reaction score
Thinking about starting to try in June, trouble is I take citalopram which really helps my anxiety but don't like the idea of being in medication when pregnant. Is anyone in the same boat?

I was told that citalopram is 'OK' in pregnancy. However my Dr advised weaning down and i was off it by 12weeks. With my 2nd ds i went back on at 3w pp but felt fine throughout my pregnancy and didn't need to go back and on after ds3.

I was on 10mg during my pregnancy, didn't seem to cause any problems

Actually that's not true, I changed to peroxatine as was meant to be better for breastfeeding

I was on a high dose of citalopram for depression about 5 years ago and remember them saying i had to come back or tell them if i was pregnant or planning to become pregnant as they'd reassess. I know that doctors don't really like you on it but will keep you on it if they feel taking you off it would endanger or severely impact upon your life.

I'm on amitryptiline at the minute to block my daily migranes, only 10mg, but i will probably stop it 3 months before i start TTC even if my gp's okay with it, because I don't like the idea of being on it whilst pregnant either.

Maybe talk to your gp about it and see if they can offer a safer alternative for when your ready to TTC?

I can definitely relate. I'm on Escitalopram (Lexapro). I'm only on 5 mg, but it DEFINITELY helps my depression and anxiety. It also helps me to cope better with my hectic work and school schedules. I'm sort of dreading going off of it, but I've already started using guided imagery to relieve my symptoms and exercise has helped in the past. At the end of the month, I'm going to cut my pills in half for 2 weeks, then go down to nothing, then we will start TTC.
I've heard a lot of people say that pregnancy can helps one's mood. I hope this is true for both of our sakes!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will go to see the doctor and try to wean myself off them and take half a tablet for a while and see if I get any adverse effects. Was told it could take up to six months to wean myself off completely.

Hiya, I was on Citalopram for depression (30mg) when I fell pregnant, I asked my Dr about it and he said that it was not a problem but I decided to stop taking it anyway. I think the midwife told me that if I felt I needed extra "help" in the way of medication while pregnant that it would be Citalopram I was given. Also just wanted to say that if you stop taking it, don't be put off by any withdrawal symptoms if you get them. I had horrible dizzy "out of it" symptoms, like everything was fuzzy and I wasn't quite "there". But it only lasts a few days so hang on in there :thumbup:

Wow, I am actually in the same exact boat! I am on 20 mg of celexa and i have really noticed a difference. i used to have panic attacks all the time and horrible anxiety but i feel a lot better since i've been on it. if everything goes according to plan i am wanting to start TTC in September of this year and i really want to be off of celexa by then. my doctor told me when i first started it that i can't be on it when pregnant. I plan on going to the doctor soon and seeing how long it would take me to be off of it completely by then.
I'm a little nervous my anxiety will come back full force but I'm really ready to try to get off of it.

Thanks Lil miss I have an appointment on Saturday and want to wean myself off them and hope for the best. Affairchild - I know exactly how awful anxiety feels and people that haven't experienced it just don't understand. I will be trying to conceive my third child in June I have two sons a six year old and a three year old. Will this be your first child?

Ridley you are exactly right! People that don't have anxiety completely don't understand. They dont get how real and scary anxiety can be! My husband didn't get it for a long time! It sucks! Awww that's so exciting to be trying for your third!! Do you want a girl or would you be happy with all boys? Those are such good ages too! This would be our first :)....makes me even more impatient for it lol!

Thinking about starting to try in June, trouble is I take citalopram which really helps my anxiety but don't like the idea of being in medication when pregnant. Is anyone in the same boat?

Hi i am so glad that you asked this because your not alone =) I was on citalipram on and off (mainly on) from 2006 until i got pregnant in 2010 and then straight back on when son was born until i got pregnant in December 2011 and then was on it from 2012 until 2014 when i got my dosage put up (i hit crisis point and the medication was not working too well for me, i have no shame in saying this if it helps someone else, so my dosage was changed and my medication also) i was put on fuloxotine now 40mg a day i have depression but the therapist also said its probably more to do with anxiety than depression and i am currently on healthy minds computerized course which is helping me handle my anxiety,

I now am wondering about medication , if the doctor says its ok i would follow his advice, i had to come off all together and wish i hadn't so just let the doctor guide you and remember that you can ask for a second opinion just to be sure!:hugs:
Good Luck x

I was on citalopram when i fell pregnant with my son (30mg). My Dr advised me to stop taking it as "they" are never sure what effects it can have on a developing baby. I wasn't weaned off, I went cold turkey on her advice.

I went along with her as I didn't want to cause my baby any harm, but in hindsight, I should have ignored her advice and went with my gut instinct to stay on it as after I had my son I had terrible PND for months.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have gotten it if I had kept on taking my meds, but afterwards I had read about so many women who had continued taking them whilst pregnant with no problems.

Drs don't know everything and you know your own body and mind so if you feel you can't cope without it, don't let them make you stop. I wish I hadn't xx

Thanks so much for all your replies. Going to get to go down to 5mg a day then one every two days etc and see how I go. Hubbie really doesn't like the idea of me being on meds when we ttc.

Hi there, I was on Avanza for 7 years for depression then weaned myself off and took nothing for 2 years then the depression and anxiety came back really bad and I've been on Escitalopram for about 6 months now.

I used to not want to take anything while pregnant but I really am more scared of being depressed/ anxious during/ after pregnancy as it's a really scary place to be. Both the dr who put me on the medication and my current dr say it's fine to take during pregnancy and being depressed/ anxious during and after pregnancy would be more risky to the baby because of what the stress hormones can do to the baby. Your dr (and yourself) have to weigh up the risks versus benefits. It's really important to look after yourself, sleep well, eat well during and after pregnancy and it's hard to do that if you're anxious and/ or depressed.

I also have heard that the hormones during pregnancy can ease your anxiety/ depression symptoms and I really hope this is true!

Just don't feel guilty if you start feeling bad again during or after pregnancy and have to go back on something - it's very important you are happy and well.

I used to work in antenatal/ labour wards and a very high number of women take something for anxiety and depression during and after pregnancy, so don't feel bad.

Thanks everyone. Affair child- Girl would be nice but have a really strong feeling I will have another boy. I have also decided on a boys name and not really thought about the girls name. Will think more about that if needed after the scan. I don't think my husband understands it. Mooshie - that's what I am scared of the anxiety coming back full force and the side effects of coming of the medication. Thanks storm when are you ttc? Thanks meg going to wean down slowly and if anxiety is too much I am definetly going back to the docs.

Hi ladies, wonder if Anyone can offer any advice. I went without my first tablet yesterday. I also came on my period yesterday although looks like I am coming off my period today? It normally lasts 5 or 6 days. I was wondering if this could be due to the medication?

I can offer some info here!!

I was also on citalopram for anxiety and my doctor said that normally its a case of whether the risks are outweighed by the gains. HOWEVER...there is a pill on the market which I was told was safe to TTC on (Sertraline). Its also one of the pills that offers the least sideeffects. I tried so many prior to this and have to say I didnt have one single problem after starting it.

If youre nervous about the citalopram might be worth asking about the Sertraline xx

Thanks Sara, I am weaning myself off citalopram at the minute. Going to wait till I am completely weaned off and re-evaluate. Good to know I can get these tablets prescribed if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->