TTC and new job

MrsEB

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new on here. Me and husband got married June 2013 and made the decision then that we would try for a baby jan 2014. In the mean time I was offered a new job in November and decided after lots of thought to take with the intention of still trying in jan. Now the time has come we both really want to try for a baby and feel the time is right but I an worried about what my employer will say if we were to get pregnant straight away, as I have only been there a few months.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and can offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

There's not much your employer can say legally...my only concern would be insurance. Some insurance plans will not cover a childbirth that's within a certain amount of time from the date coverage begin (mine doesn't cover if you deliver within 10 months of signing up!). And if you're not still on new-hire probation then I say go for it. I personally chose to make sure I not only had coverage but also would have enough maternity leave before we started TTC .

Don't delay your life waiting for a baby. And don't delay trying for a baby for your work. I have waited three years to get into a good position (professionally and financially). Now looking back, I wish we had just gone for it three years ago. My work place is woman/mom friendly. They would have understood. Lots of women have babies where I work, and we all step up and take on extra time to support them. For reasons I cannot explain, I didn't want to put that burden on people til now. It's ok to be selfish sometimes. Everyone deserves a family.
At the same time, you don't know how long it will take you to get pregnant. You might be lucky and be pregnant in a week or two. or it might take years. Don't give up a job for something that is really, in many ways, impossible to plan.
My advice is take every opportunity, professional and personal. No more waiting for me.

I'm actually currently job hunting and this is also our first cycle TTC. So theoretically I could be pregnant before I started a new job. It's even worse because my plan is to be a SAHM for a while after I have a baby so I'd be leaving less than 9 months later. It's not ideal but I'm ready to TTC and so is DH so we don't want to put that on hold. I am lucky in that DH's insurance covers me well so I don't have that concern. But still. This isn't how I saw things happening but things don't always happen the way you plan. Don't let what your employer might say or think influence your decision. Work is important (don't get me wrong, I love my career!) but I think family is more important at the end of the day.

Thank you everyone for the advice, it's nice to their are others in the same situation. Your right, it could takes months or years anyway. We are both excited TTC so we shouldn't let work stand in the way of our family I guess. Where I work it's all females and a lot of them have children so I am sure they would be understanding of us.

Thank you

I started my job in November of 2012 and we started TTC in January 2013, and I'm glad we did because here we are a year later still TTC. Granted I was covered on my DH insurance regardless and I don't know what your situation is like, but you have to live your life because hopefully you will be the couple that gets pregnant on the first month, but maybe you won't be, and that just pushes starting your family back that much further.

Try looking in your employee agreement about your companies maternity leave policies. Do you have many mothers that work there? Try asking one of them. In the end if your employer isn't very family friendly, maybe consider starting to look elsewhere. After all if they are going to turn their nose up at a pregnant woman (& who doesn't love pregnant women) how are they going to react when you call in because your child is sick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->