TTC and Vitamin's Especially Vit D

S

Soanxious

I have recently (3 weeks) been taking Vitamin D3.. I have had 5 early mc since Oct 2013... so I am hoping it helps. I take that along with the other things in my Signature.. but I have just read a little more on Vit D and TTC so thought I would share... if anyone else has any more info please share too.. anything to help everyone ttc is of benefit :)

Vitamin D While most folks associate vitamin D with bone health, a little known fact is that it can also play an important role in fertility.

In fact, a number of studies have shown that Vitamin D has a direct impact on the reproductive organs in both men and women. In men, it works to help produce more testosterone, the hormone responsible for making sperm. In women, vitamin D works directly on the ovaries, helping to regulate how estrogen is used to help egg follicles mature and grow.

Vitamin D also appears to play a role in how estrogen acts in the uterus, particularly in regard to development of the lining. In fact when vitamin D levels are low, your uterus may not develop a lining sufficient enough to hold on to your embryo – which in turn frequently leads to very early stage miscarriage.

In fact, vitamin D is now considered such an important fertility nutrient, one group of Yale researchers devoted an entire study to learning what happens when levels decline. Here they studied 67 women who had problems conceiving – and found that 93% of them were low in vitamin D. According to researcher Dr Lubna Pal, “ Of note, not a single patient with either ovulatory disturbance or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) demonstrated normal Vitamin D levels; 39 per cent of those with ovulatory disturbance and 38 per cent of those with PCOS had serum 25OHD levels consistent with deficiency. “

In another study, women who lost their menstrual cycle and were considered infertile due to PCOS resumed their periods and became pregnant when vitamin D levels were increased.

If that were not enough to get you to run right out to the nearest health food store and stock up on vitamin D supplements, consider this: Vitamin D is intrinsic to controlling blood levels of calcium. And when calcium levels go down, the rate of PMS climbs! More importantly, however, the reverse is also true – when calcium levels are sufficient, PMS is reduced – and ultimately that means fertility can prosper!

In studies conducted by University of Massachusetts researcher Elizabeth R. Bertone-Johnson, ScD, and published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, it was learned that when the intake of both calcium and vitamin D is high, the risk of PMS is significantly reduced. In fact, they found that women who ate just four servings a day of low fat dairy or yogurt, or drank orange juice fortified with calcium and vitamin D had up to a 40% reduced risk of PMS.

So what's the connection between PMS and fertility? Well first, when PMS is under control you will simply feel better with far less stress – which in turn means that all hormone activity will be better balanced. But more importantly, since PMS is a condition that is underscored by a reproductive hormone imbalance, reducing your risk of this problem also means helping to insure the proper hormone balance necessary for a quick and easy pregnancy.

Finally, the very latest research shows that Vitamin D deficiencies may be linked to a higher rate of bacterial vaginosis (BV) a very common intimate infection that has been linked to infertility. Indeed, not only can this infection create a hostile envioronment that can negatively impact sperm, if left untreated, BV can quickly turn into a a much more serious condition known as PID – pelvic inflammatory disease. This infection can easily spread into the fallopian tubes, ovaries and even the uterus and not only directly and immediately impact your ability to get pregnant, but also create scar tissue that continue to interfere with conception long after the infection clears. Moreover, if you do happen to get pregnant while you have a BV infection, it could increase your risk of miscarriage as well as lead to premature labor and a low birth weight baby.

The good news : You can dramatically reduce your risk of developing this infection - and increase your fertility in the process - by simply keeping your vitamin D levels high. How can this help? While doctors aren't completely sure, many believe that vitamin D helps give a boost to the immune system, which in turn helps keep the natural bacteria found in the V zone from growing out of control.

A very good read soanxious, thanks so much for putting that up. My gp had mentioned about vit d and the link to fertility but did not go into the details. I currently rely on food and sunshine to get vit d, however it's now winter so might look into vit d supplements. What sources do you get your vit d from? :)

Thankyou for this! I found out a few months back that I have a severe vitamin d deficiency, and I have been very slack taking my supplements. Guess I better get my bloods done again and take what I need :)

I take a vitamin D3 from a store called Holland and Barrett... its the best way for me to get it.. in the Uk we hardly get good sunshine.. even in summer.. we have had a few days so far of sunshine so thats helping my mood also.. but just wanted people to know that they are saying Vit D is a main thing to take now. :)

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...ett-vitamin-d3-tablets-25ug-60099316?query=d3

Good luck!! :D

I don't produce Vita D apparently. A few years ago I went to the doc for chronic fatigue and the next thing I know he is in a dead panic getting me on the script D3. My numbers were under 5. At the time I was gardening in the Summer sun of SC, I had my first tan in about 15 years and we shocked to find out that it was so low.

I go in for periodic tests now and see if I need a 6 week script. It took me 3 6week cycles to get back up into the 20s. I also take a daily D3.

Perfect timing. Thanks for the read, Soanxious, I just got my labs back today and they said low Vit D.

I have low vitamin D so my doctor prescribed me vitD along with other medicines. I've been taking it for 3 weeks today. She prescribed it earlier last year but I didn't take it we weren't really TTC at that time. But I hope it works now!

Carrie thats the thing.. people dont realise they are so low in D3.. glad they have found out for you and now you are on the mend :)

Hey Lilly... glad it was of some interest.. so are they giving you a script for D3? how much do you have to take a day?

Wantbump Yeah so many people are low in Vit D now.. I have been taking the vitamin myself about a month now... I think we need to spread the word about Vit D3 and TTC as it makes all the difference for some people...

Good luck girlies.. keep us updated :D

Still waiting on a few more labs to come back then I'll talk to the doc about everything at once. :thumbup: I wonder if she would prescribe me anything with one low value anyway? Or make me do a repeat? :shrug: I'll be sure to update.

Hope you manage to get you results soon and get sorted :) yeah let us know how you get on :)

Hi soanxious,
I take a prenatal vitamin with 400iu of vitamin d is that enough?
Also I've been taking a table spoon of black maca has anyone heard of this?
Here's some info
First of all,*maca*is a*cruciferous*root found growing in the high regions of Peru and has been cultivated for about two thousand years. It has been traditionally and is currently used as a food. The Peruvians believe it gives strength and endurance, enhances ones fertility, and supports pregnancies.
Maca*is unique in that is helps both men and women’s fertility.
Maca*Increases Men’s Fertility

Maca*was once thought to increase men’s sexual hormones which would account for it’s ability to increase one’s sex drive and increased fertility, but while recent studies confirm that*maca*has the powerful ability to increase male fertility, it doesn’t change men’s hormone levels.*In one four month study*using black*maca, it was found to increase sperm count, motile sperm count and sperm motility and increase seminal volume, all without making any changes in the men’s hormones. I should mention that this was one study, among many, all showing similar results.
Also Maca*Could Help Depression and Black*Maca*could Increase Learning and Memory Abilities

Maca*Can Give Endurance and Energy
Maca*can help with PMS and other hormonal issues

Hi ready, I would ask the dr for a blood test to check levels... I was taking prenatels for 9 months.. but upped to these... so many women are now taking extra vit D as its helping with fertility..and so many women are deficient and never knew!!!

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...min-d3-tablets-25ug-60099316?query=vitamin d3
Yes I have heard of Maca a few times.. hope it works for you!!! :)

I dont need it as both myself and OH are bonking like bunnies daily because we cant keep hands off each other.. plus I have been able to get pregnant when really trying.. will mention it to others though :)

U beat me to it i had ordered mine this. Morning:)

You are a lucky woman so anxious I wish I had that same problem where we can't keep our hands off each other not so much over here. we're both so busy so it's like we're constantly trying to find that little bit of time together in order to make it romantic for you know the night together for some BD.
I will definitely check with my doctor Thank you!

I take a prenat with 400 IU and a daily D3 that is 2000 IU. I still have drops. The only way to tell if D3 is an issue for you is to go and get the blood work done. I am on another round right now this is my 3rd since the first bout to get it up to reasonable. It still drops but since it drops so slowly the dr doesn't want to put me on the all of the time supplement.

I take 50,000IU/week but it was prescribed since I have low vitD.

Ready4babies I hope you manage to find more time together... and hope your results are good if you get the tests done :)

Yeah girls its checked simply by blood tests and then dr's can give the correct amount.. im just boosting mine a little... hoping it makes all the difference...

Also Pineapple core 1-5DPO is supposed to be good for implantation..

Pineapple core helps with Implantation of the embryo.Pineapple Core has what is called bromelain that will help with implantation.

Using Pineapple to Assist Implantation: Pineapple contains bromelain. Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme that breaks up proteins that inhibit embryo implantation. Consuming a whole pineapple (focusing on the core as it has the highest concentration of Bromelain) during a fertility cycle can be beneficial.

For IVF [in vitro fertilization] cycle: one pineapple, divided into 5 portions - consume one portion each day, over five days, beginning on the day of your embryo transfer.

IUI [intra-uterine insemination] cycle: one pineapple, divided into 5 portions - consume one portion each day, over five days, beginning on the day of your IUI.

Timed intercourse cycle: one pineapple, divided into 5 portions - consume one portion each day, over five days, beginning on the day after ovulation.

Note: Be careful not to start consuming pineapple too early in the cycle. Beginning to consume pineapple BEFORE the recommended days above can actually affect your vaginal and cervical mucus PH, making it more acidic.

So it looks like my doc is putting me on 400IU daily of Vit D3, I haven't actually had a chance to talk to her though. The office just called and told me.

Did you ask for it or was it found it was needed from blood tests? hope it helps you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->