TTC & Antidepressants

Aspen28

Reaction score
So this will be month 3 of ttc. I am going to a gyn appointment today to discuss preconception counseling and am really struggling emotionally with the idea of getting pregnant and being on antidepressants. I weaned off in my last two pregnancies and was miserable. But I am concerned if I take them they will cause birth defects. Has this been any issue anyone has faced, whether currently or in the past?

I wasn't on antidepressants with my previous 2 but I am now. I decided to wean. I have to admit the process was horrible and I don't feel great but I'm hoping it will be for 18 months or less and I can go back on. We actually moved our official TTC date up a month since I want to limit how long I'm off.

Did you talk to your doctor? Maybe they can give you some insight.

I have an anxiety disorder so I've been feeling pretty on edge but I go to therapy and have things I can do to help. Maybe you could consider going to therapy if you aren't already. I find it really helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I also have an anxiety disorder and my doctor told me to stay on my pill. My son was fine :)

If you're really concerned about having the chemicals in your body while pregnant & breast feeding, and it's an SSRI that's working for you, you might want to consider switching (gradually) over to a 5HPT supplement. That's what I did to wean myself off SSRIs the last time (not for TTC, but because I just didn't want to be on the SSRIs anymore), and I go back to them when I feel like I'm slipping.

SSRI = Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It is believed that they work by preventing the neurons that send Serotonin out from taking it back in when it isn't received fast enough, allowing more time for signals to be transmitted via this particular neurotransmitter.

5HTP is the natural precursor to Serotonin (5HT), so by taking this on a regular basis, you'll eventually increase the amount of Serotonin in your brain, which can lead to the same result. More Serotonin to be received so that reuptake takes longer, instead of turning reuptake off.

Since it's already naturally occuring in your body, and not an artificial drug meant to alter the way your brain works, it's not something to worry about passing on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->