TTC, exercise, and using weights

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has been affected while TTC by exercising or lifting weights?

When I say lifting weights, I don't mean body building, but rather lifting them to tone up and get better results that general cardio. I eat healthy, and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. When at the gym I often use the weights for squats, leg exercises, arm exercises etc.

We have been trying for 6 months now.

Could the weights (even though it's not excessive) be effecting my estrogen levels?

I'm worried that because it is building muscle and toning up rather quickly that perhaps it's affecting my hormones. I'm not looking overly muscley, and my gym sessions last from half an hour to forty-five minutes, so it isn't as if I am doing marathon gym sessions.

DH said maybe I should leave the weights for a bit and try light cardio and swimming to see if we notice a difference.

Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks

Nope. Working out is one of the best things you can do while TTC and while pregnant. Lifting cannot alter your hormones.

Purplecupcake is right, unless you're taking steroids then lifting weights won't affect your hormones. You just need to modify your workouts once you're actually pregnant.

I did avoid doing crunches or squats but everything else I continued. I also don't use the rowing machine, feels like it crushes the lower abdomen far too much for my mind lol xx

You don't have to stop doing ab work either, btw, in fact it's extremely beneficial for keeping back pain away, strong abs are great for giving birth, and it will help your stomach recover quicker after you have your baby. You should also continue to do squats, as those muscles are so so so important, especially if you plan to labor in any other position besides laying on your back (which is in fact the worst position to labor in!). I still do weighted squats and lunges at the squat rack but I have reduced down to 15lbs on each side of the bar, so 30lbs total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"