TTC & LLETZ (LEEP) procedure

Amylucy

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here may have had some experience and can help!!

Hubby and I were planning to start ttc early February, but I found out today that I need to have the lletz procedure done due to abnormal cells.

Has anyone else had this done while ttc?

Has anyone decided to put the procedure on hold until after a pregnancy?

This will be our third baby - the first took 18 months to conceive and the second 10 months with a miscarriage halfway through. I'm incredibly worried that the procedure will make it difficult for us to conceive and increase the risk of miscarriage. I'm also concerned about the risk of premature labour (my girls were 39 and 38+3) and the risk of having a damaged cervix which is either weakened or with scar tissue making the natural birth I dream of impossible.

More substantially we were only going to try for 2 months and having the procedure done now would write off one, if not both of those months meaning we would have to wait until July 2016 at the earliest to ttc (not ideal!). I'm thinking of delaying the procedure until those 2 months are over, but if I get pregnant (as I am hoping to) would it be a huge risk to wait until I have birth to have it done?

I'm hoping someone here may have had some experience and can help!!

Hubby and I were planning to start ttc early February, but I found out today that I need to have the lletz procedure done due to abnormal cells.

Has anyone else had this done while ttc?

Has anyone decided to put the procedure on hold until after a pregnancy?

This will be our third baby - the first took 18 months to conceive and the second 10 months with a miscarriage halfway through. I'm incredibly worried that the procedure will make it difficult for us to conceive and increase the risk of miscarriage. I'm also concerned about the risk of premature labour (my girls were 39 and 38+3) and the risk of having a damaged cervix which is either weakened or with scar tissue making the natural birth I dream of impossible.

More substantially we were only going to try for 2 months and having the procedure done now would write off one, if not both of those months meaning we would have to wait until July 2016 at the earliest to ttc (not ideal!). I'm thinking of delaying the procedure until those 2 months are over, but if I get pregnant (as I am hoping to) would it be a huge risk to wait until I have birth to have it done?

Hi. I think it depends on how urgent it is that you have it done. I'm sure your doctor can tell you more. In terms of ttc after leep, my doctor made me wait 6 months before trying to conceive and I had to have another biopsy before she gave me the go ahead. I've read the chances of miscarriage post leep go down 6 months and much more after a year.

I had the procedure done in 2009 (I think) they told me there would be a higher risk of premature labour - it was a throw away comment as I was literally leaving the room, no more information than that. Anyway we started to TTC in 2010/2011 and I fell pregnant after 9 months, however at 19+4 I went into premature labour & lost our baby. I knew it was due to my crappy cervix & the procedure (as all tests came back fine). In 2013 I fell pregnant again, I went for extra scans, I was reassured my cervix was fine. However at exactly 23 weeks again I went into premature labour, I held on for 2 days (luckily I got both doses of steriods for babys lungs) my daughter was born at 23+2 weighing 1lb 3oz.....the cause Incompetent Cervix (finally a diagnosis!) she is now a beautiful 17 month old (and very very lucky!) I now have a TAC to prevent future premature labours due to my crappy cervis which was a result of LEETZ. The procedure is necessary, its really a warning to make sure when you do fall pregnant you are monitored CLOSELY! Good luck x

Thank you both for your advice :)

Bride2be our wee girls must be very close in age! Mia's the 21st of July :)

I'm going in for the procedure on Thursday. I rang the colposcopy clinic this morning and she couldn't give me any specific advice as she can't access my file, but said my recovery should take around 2 weeks. She advised us to wait 6 weeks before ttc to allow my cervix to heal. She said there is a very small risk of premature labour and that my doctor will be able to discuss it with me before my appointment.

Fingers crossed it all goes well!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->