TTC/PG and hot baths?

moomoo

Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!
Reaction score
Ok girls - i kinda have a thing for hot baths..i have one most nights..its my guilty pleasure. Someone said to me the other day that whe you are pregnant you shouldnt have hot baths as it can cause you to miscarry? is there any truth in this? do you guys still have baths in your 2wws? If you have been pregnant, do you have hot baths? thanks xx

Oh thank god someone else has asked this - I love love love very hot baths (so it looks like you're wearing a pink sock if you dip your foot in!) and I did wonder about this!

Oh thank god someone else has asked this - I love love love very hot baths (so it looks like you're wearing a pink sock if you dip your foot in!) and I did wonder about this!

Hahah! no worries hun.. it would be nice to know! x

When i first fell pregnant i asked the doctor as i love hot baths! He told me only have warm baths. When I asked why I was told that raising your body temp could be harmful to the baby and they are not sure what affects the heat can have on the placenta! Im not sure if the same applys when ttc! Hope this helps!

It isn't recomended as you are not meant to over heat when pregnant:

"you do need to be cautious about "hot" baths as there is little known about the possible effects on the blood flowing through the placenta or on the baby. If the water is too hot, you could also feel faint or sick, as it could lower your blood pressure a bit too much - not a good thing."

I'm a firm believer that we can't give up EVERYthing that makes us feel good while TTC!! :hissy:

If we don't enjoy life, we get down and getting down can make it hard to get pg, too! Everything in moderation. IMHO, go for the hot baths pre-o, and then take short hot baths (if they really make you feel better) during the 2WW. Just don't soak long enough to let your body temp rise too high. But 10 min. or so couldn't be THAT bad, could it??:shipw:

hi hun when pg your advised to have warm bath snot hot due to the reasons mentioned and to avoid saunas,jacuzzies etc etc too. x

I've read anything over 100F is too hot. However, it is more about how hot YOU get compared to normal than how hot the water is. For example, I have a low temp normally, so lower water temp would be necessary.

It's all about the SHARED blood supply b/n you and baby. If your blood temp rises too much, then it makes the baby get hot, too (you are circulating your hot blood through the placenta and then rising their temp, too). They can't cool off by sweating like you can. Essentially they cannot thermoregulate, so you have to do it FOR them. Based on what I know about biology, this would be less important in the 2WW because you don't share a blood supply until the baby implants. However, you could still overdo it if you raised your tissue temps enough that it affected the developing zygote by diffusion or ambient temp.

MODERATION, Ladies. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"