TTC - Reducing prolactin levels with Norprolac

nearly there

Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to post my experience because when I was first prescribed norprolac/quinagolide I did the usual google search and found very few positive posts about it, most of the posts were from people who had experienced horrible side effects with no reduction in prolactin. I guess this is probably because when something works you are so happy/relieved you are less inclined to post. So I hope, if someone else out there is feeling a little lost and confused about their prolactin levels this post will help relax them somewhat – which will hope the prolactin levels too ;) I know I’m not pregnant but I’m getting closer (fingers crossed)...

Background: I’ve had high prolactin levels of 1000+ for 10 years, in the absence of any other cause my consultant attributes these to a prolactinoma too small to detect on MRI. I had irregular periods, with cycle lengths between 24 – 90 days, more often than not these were longer, no shift in basal temperature and no other signs of ovulation (according to my clear blue fertility monitor). My husband and I are ttc so my consultant suggested it was now time to lower my prolactin levels and prescribed norprolac/quinagolide (75 micrograms).

SUCCESS: My bloods were retested after 6 weeks and my prolactin levels had gone from 1023 to 24! I couldn’t believe it – I’d tried other things before agnus castas and such and never had any sort of reduction. During the same 6 week period I also had a period (of regular length) and ovulated (according to clear blue fertility monitor and LH on blood test).

Side effects: I did experience some side effects: nausea, headaches, dizziness, falling asleep without warning (only after taking the tablet which they recommend you take whilst in bed – for obvious reasons). However these reduced massively after the first 2 weeks and continue to get better every day and on balance I consider this a small price to pay!

The hardest part: is actually getting a prescription of norprolac. My consultant is based in one of the largest hospitals in London and the pharmacy within that hospital (which is located about 5m from my consulatants office) refused to give me the drugs, my case was sent to an independent pharmacist who agreed I needed them and still (3 weeks later) I couldn’t get them from the hospital. I was told to go through my GP, who also refused (apparently quinagolide is not on their ‘usual’ list) and in the end got an appointment with a locum GP who prescribed them on the basis that he wasn’t at the surgery often!?!

:hi: and welcome

My prolactin is low from the blood results I forgot what the normal range was, gotta look on my results.

Thank you for providing this information:flower:

Hello!

I wanted to post my experience because when I was first prescribed norprolac/quinagolide I did the usual google search and found very few positive posts about it, most of the posts were from people who had experienced horrible side effects with no reduction in prolactin. I guess this is probably because when something works you are so happy/relieved you are less inclined to post. So I hope, if someone else out there is feeling a little lost and confused about their prolactin levels this post will help relax them somewhat – which will hope the prolactin levels too ;) I know I’m not pregnant but I’m getting closer (fingers crossed)...

Background: I’ve had high prolactin levels of 1000+ for 10 years, in the absence of any other cause my consultant attributes these to a prolactinoma too small to detect on MRI. I had irregular periods, with cycle lengths between 24 – 90 days, more often than not these were longer, no shift in basal temperature and no other signs of ovulation (according to my clear blue fertility monitor). My husband and I are ttc so my consultant suggested it was now time to lower my prolactin levels and prescribed norprolac/quinagolide (75 micrograms).

SUCCESS: My bloods were retested after 6 weeks and my prolactin levels had gone from 1023 to 24! I couldn’t believe it – I’d tried other things before agnus castas and such and never had any sort of reduction. During the same 6 week period I also had a period (of regular length) and ovulated (according to clear blue fertility monitor and LH on blood test).

Side effects: I did experience some side effects: nausea, headaches, dizziness, falling asleep without warning (only after taking the tablet which they recommend you take whilst in bed – for obvious reasons). However these reduced massively after the first 2 weeks and continue to get better every day and on balance I consider this a small price to pay!

The hardest part: is actually getting a prescription of norprolac. My consultant is based in one of the largest hospitals in London and the pharmacy within that hospital (which is located about 5m from my consulatants office) refused to give me the drugs, my case was sent to an independent pharmacist who agreed I needed them and still (3 weeks later) I couldn’t get them from the hospital. I was told to go through my GP, who also refused (apparently quinagolide is not on their ‘usual’ list) and in the end got an appointment with a locum GP who prescribed them on the basis that he wasn’t at the surgery often!?!
Nearly there: thanks for the post. It is years ago that you wrote it, but I wanted you to know that it is exactly what I needed today. Have been researching and this is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->