TTC soon! Wait is killing me

Hi MrsB17!

Your story sounds a lot like mine! We have only been married just over a year, but together for almost 11. My husband is also a doctor, but he is still in residency. I had originally thought we would wait until he finished to TTC, but he program gives residents 8 weeks off after the birth of a child, which he definitely won't be able to do after finishing (he is planning to have his own practice) so the timing is right for us now (well soon).

It's frustrating to wait to find out where you'll be living. Before he matched for residency it was so hard for me to not know where we would end up. Good luck with the job search, hopefully he gets the one where you guys are currently living, that sounds like that is what you want.

It's great that you have a honeymoon planned to look forward to!

Hey MrsB17!

I feel I can totally relate to you, also from the "Cold Feet" thread of mine.

We are also in a similar position. Everything is lined financially, emotionally, practically in our lives but we are waiting on my fiances job to be the perfect time as he wants to settle in a bit (he started in June). So the plan is to begin in March. Although slowly now I feel like we are moving into NTNP.

Hopefully you will hear about the job sooner and maybe you will have a honeymoon baby?

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with the physician path in the UK. We're from Canada, but in the US right now. For both countries it is pretty much the same.

Undergrad (4 years with a few exceptions)-> med school (4 years, last two are typically all clinical rotations) -> residency (paid, but not very much and also required to be licensed. length varies by specialty) -> pass board exams-> become fully licensed to practice.

We're doing family medicine so that is a 3 year residency. Next year (last year, yay!) he'll write he board exams and then be licensed to practice on his own. We're hoping to move back to Canada where we're from, but it's all still up in the air right now while we wait to hear about the job at home and consider other options.

So does consultancy mean he is a fully licensed doctor? Junior doctor sounds like our resident stage. Congrats on being so close! We'll finish residency in June 2018, but are job hunting now as most people try to have something figured out by fall of their last year.

The medical paths sound similar, just labeled differently and with some tweaks! My husband has had to do all kinds of different rotations as well, both in med school and residency.

It is funny how most people think being married to a doctor is glamourous! Maybe if you meet them a few years after they finish training. If you are on facebook you should look up the group "Lives of Doctor's Wives". It is a really great international group for women in serious relationships with doctors. The moderators are fantastic so it is a really safe and comfortable space to talk about pretty much anything related to your life as a doctor's wife.

swedengirl - we are planning to TTC in March too! I told you in your other thread I feel pretty much the same way you do. The funny thing is as scared as I am, part of me kind of hope it happens quickly or even early as a surprise. I guess then I wouldn't have time to worry.

Karoolia- I think there is also a part of me that wants it to happen sooner too! I am pretty certain part of the reason my anxiety has started now is because my OH has been the one who has been nervous and worried about things so now the time has come where he isn't- I am then having the freakout!

Exciting you are March too! What birth control are you guys using? Are you preparing to TTC by coming off any?

I'm on the pill, mine is called Lutera, it's a combination pill. We seriously considered stopping a pack ago, but I decided to go one more round. March would be a good time to conceive for us, but if it takes longer I'm ok with that. I do hope my body regulates itself quickly though. Tomorrow is actually my last pill so I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I don't think we are going to actively prevent during February, but the chances of conceiving a pretty small. We have a skiing trip planned with family mid-month where we get to sleep on a pull out couch in a living room with siblings in an open loft above us so I'm thinking baby making opportunities will be limited anyway haha.

I've heard of people getting pregnant literally straight after they stop taking the pill so you never know! I hope it's really quick for you. Haha you're right though, sharing a room with siblings isn't ideal for baby making!

I was one of those people! I stopped my pill end of July and got my bfp 18 sept so it def can happen quickly. Good luck to you both, we will be ttc march/April for our 2nd. I've got the coil this time round so hoping I fall pregnant as quickly xxx

Sarah34 - That must have been a very pleasant surprise! I don't expect to fall pregnant that quickly, but am hoping anyway!

It's funny, for years I worried about getting pregnant if I was even a few hours late taking a pill. Now I'm trying to tell myself not to even expect ovulation until a month or two goes by.

Good luck on your 2nd!

Me too!! We're waiting until after our wedding in June to ttc #2 and I'm actually driving myself nuts obsessing over it 😂😂

I stopped my pill (minipill) in the summer and my cycle came back almost instantly. I was so worried it would take a while so wanted to stop in good time but no it came back really quickly. So I have been tracking my cycles and temping since then so now I at least know when I ovulate- so hopefully it will be quick to conceive!

How are you guys filling the time and the wait?

Oh I remember when I was super excited for my thermometer too! I think it is so cool to actually see how your body works from charting temps.

I used OPKs for one month but got really confused as I had dark positive lines for several days. I can also see clearly now changes in my CM for when I am coming up to ovulating just before my temp rise. But cool that they worked for you and you could see your surge!

Cool that your planning your honeymoon! Where are you heading (if you don't mind sharing)? I guess that is something to look forward to and an incentive to WTT with the prospect of some nice dinners and a glass of wine or two?

Yes although I understand your wanting to get going with the TTC now I do think it is really nice that you guys end your WTT time with a fun holiday where you can spend time together as a couple and enjoy non-child/baby friendly things just before TTC!

We have just started planning our wedding for December 2018 and I am hoping that I conceive first month (March) so I have a year to shed some baby weight. But that is quite a good distraction for me- pinterest for both the baby and the wedding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->