TTC w/low iron

armygirl

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)
I am a 21 year old female. My husband and I just married at the beginning of July. Before our wedding, we weren't necessarily trying to conceive, but we were never not trying to either. Now that we are married, we have decided we want to really start trying to start our family. I had a blood test done two weeks ago, and I found out that I have very low iron. I have started taking multivitamin with no iron in it, folic acid, as well as 50mg of iron per day. All of my levels otherwise were normal. I know that iron has a lot of reason as to why I have probably not been pregnant yet. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through the same issues and what your story is? If you have any tips at all, I would really appreciate your guys' help! I really want to have children, but I am scared this will never get better. I hope to hear from you all soon!

I have had anemia my entire life- even took liquid iron and had transfusions as a child. When I was in college (and definitely NOT ttc) my doctor suggested I start taking prenatal vitamins. They are high in iron, plus a ton of other things that anemia robs you of. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and doing great! Another plus side of taking prenatals for a long time before conceiving- I've had very little morning sickness! Something about the B-6 in them helps reduce nausea, but you have to be taking them for at least 3 months before conceiving. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your tips - I will have to start taking the prenatal :) right now I am taking a multivitamin w/out iron, 50mgs of iron, and folic acid. Is taking the iron & prenatal too much?

You will have to check with your doctor on that one. I have taken them together when my iron was really low, but most of the time I just take the prenatal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->