TTC with a DH who travels

PJS1982

Reaction score
Hi yall :)

I was curious if there were any other TTCers who's SO's travel a lot during the week. My DH travels Mon-Fri and is usually only home Fri evening and leaves Mon morning very early (5-6 am). He will occasionally have a random day off during the week and be able to make it home for supper. Trying to time this is so frustrating!

This is my first month using OPKs (wondfo) and checking CM and using the free version of FF. I don't have a BBT thermometer and if TTC doesn't work out this month, I'm buying one in December.

How do you think it would work out if we only BD'd on the weekends? I don't really have much hope and DH is trying to get some more time off, but it's so random he never knows for sure until he's actually on his way home. Arg! :wacko:

Anyone else in this kind of situation? And if so, how do ya'll get around it while TTC?

Hi there, my DH works away M-F as well. Since sperm can live for a few days and you can be fertile 3 days before ovulation, it can work. If I'm "suppose" to ovulate on a Wednesday, we will BD on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning before he leaves. I hope this helps. :dust:

Hi there, my DH works away M-F as well. Since sperm can live for a few days and you can be fertile 3 days before ovulation, it can work. If I'm "suppose" to ovulate on a Wednesday, we will BD on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning before he leaves. I hope this helps. :dust:

Thanks! I should be ovulating tomorrow according to my opk, so we BD Saturday, Sunday and he came home for the night so we're BDing tonight. Hope it works!!

DH often works away. He is away (say a 20 hour drive away) for 2 weeks and then home for one week. Sometimes he can be away for 3-4 weeks. This is out first TTC cycle so I'm hoping he is home for O or we could be TTC for months. One of our friends Is in the same boat as us. She asked her DH to take a month off work so he had vacation time and was home for O. They are now 11 weeks pregnant.

DH often works away. He is away (say a 20 hour drive away) for 2 weeks and then home for one week. Sometimes he can be away for 3-4 weeks. This is out first TTC cycle so I'm hoping he is home for O or we could be TTC for months. One of our friends Is in the same boat as us. She asked her DH to take a month off work so he had vacation time and was home for O. They are now 11 weeks pregnant.

That's awesome that he was able to take off! I wish that was a legitimate reason to take sick days "My wife/gf is ovulating. I have to call out sick" haha I hope you catch your O!

Hi there ladies! My husband and I are trying to conceive #2. I started OPK testing Thursday the 14th and got a positive OPK today. I have EWCM today and and every day since Thursday. We BD Friday night (15th) and Saturday (16th) am and pm. Due to my husband's job Saturday night was the last time we were able to BD. And won't be able to again til Friday. I'm looking for some thoughts. I don't want to have my hopes up during this two week wait. Thanks so much!

Sounds like it could just be hit and miss, depending on when your ovulation falls :s. Just hope it falls on Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, Monday or maybe Tuesday at the latest :p

DH doesn't travel but works shifts which mean we often go 5-6 days without seeing each other because they clash with when I am working. Luckily it hasn't happened when I have been ovulating yet though so we are lucky. But I always feel a little bit stressed when looking at his upcoming shifts in case they are around predicted ovulation!

Good luck for this month!

DH doesn't travel but works shifts which mean we often go 5-6 days without seeing each other because they clash with when I am working. Luckily it hasn't happened when I have been ovulating yet though so we are lucky. But I always feel a little bit stressed when looking at his upcoming shifts in case they are around predicted ovulation!

Good luck for this month!

That's how I feel. I'm always looking ahead at when I'm predicted to Ovulate and always pray that I'm ovulating on a sunday or monday! We've been ttc since April, but this is the only month that he's happened to be home during O time and according to FF and my other apps, it won't look like we'll have a corresponding schedule until April! 5-6 dpo today and the TWW sucksssss! :growlmad:

Oh no! fingers crossed that this is your month then!

TWW definitely sucks!

I'm in a similar boat - except I'm the one that travels M-F. We've been TTC #1 for almost a year but there was a lot of months where we missed the O window. It was pretty sad- I use an OPK and get the signal on like a Tuesday, when I'm hundreds of miles away from DH, and there's not much I could do except be bitter about my job!

Recently though, I've been able to change my schedule so I only travel M-F every other week so that has helped. Also I just got this new Clear Blue OPK that's supposed to tell you about the 4 best days - so we'll try using that to prepare for an O day where we might be separated. I think I read once that sperm can live inside you for like 5 days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->