TTC with anxiety & being on medication for it.

Mrs Reineke

Reaction score
My name is Megan and I am almost 31 years old. My husband and I have been ttc since February 2014. We got pregnant in June 2014, but I unfortunatetly lost it at 5.5 weeks. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder when I was 13 years old. I have been on medication ever since then and I have done great with it. But a month ago, I went in to see my regular doctor for an appointment and when he found out I was ttc he wanted me to wean off a medication I have been taking forever (Venlafaxine) and see if I can just stick to taking my other one (Buspirone) due to the fact that it can cause problems in pregnancy and the other one I was on is safe. Well I slowly weaned off of it over a month and I haven't had any of it for the past week. Well I am having HORRIBLE anxiety. To make a long story short he decided it was best to put me on another type of anxiety medication (Zoloft) that is a lot safer to take during pregnancy. Well I'm still in the inbetween period of my body withdrawaling from the first one and the 2nd one I've only taken for 2 days so it hasn't kicked in yet. I'm sure there are other ladies out there that are dealing with this?? I hope at least? Pregnancy can be stressful anyways, so I'd like to meet some ladies that may have anxiety or know how it feels to deal with taking medications for an anxiety disorder. Please join me in the journey and we can get through it together!

I have never been formally diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, but I do suffer from anxiety. It comes and goes though. In my experience, antidepressant medications do nothing for my anxiety (which has been backed up by studies). Benzodiazepines work great, but you have to be careful with them. I only take them on bad days, not as a daily medication. However, they are contradicted during pregnancy, so I won't take them past 5 dpo just in case. I am on Ativan, because I am breastfeeding. I was on xanax before.

Hi Megan,
I've been on medication ( Citalopram ) for my anxiety/depression for a few years now and i had concerns about whether it would effect me & my husband ttc. I spoke to my doctor about it and he felt that i'd really suffer mentally if i was taken off my meds. Apparently it would be saver for me if i got pregnant to stay on them than it would be to stop.
Hope this helps :hugs:

Hi Megan,

I have complex PTSD and struggle a lot with anxiety and sometimes depression, although I'd say they are fairly well under control at this point - maybe not the anxiety though!!

I've come off all my medication except one as well to keep as safe as possible in pregnancy for both the baby and I - as like Mrs Pidgey, my doctors have felt it would be more damaging for me to be off it mentally.

We are all here for you and I think many of us can relate to the challenges of managing medication whilst trying to conceive and hopefully getting pregnant!

If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me.

x

I'm not on any medication for my anxiety, I never really found it helpful unfortunately. Part of my anxiety is health related though, which makes it difficult for me to take meds. You aren't alone in this though.. & I've come off venlafaxine before, you have my sympathies!! Hopefully the new meds will take the edge off a bit for you xx

It's so nice to hear from you ladies! It makes me feel like I'm not alone in this process and dealing with anxiety on top of it all. Still not feeling great, but I have had a few moments of feeling ok. Doctor said my new medicine may take a week or two to fully kick in. I've had a headache for 4 days from the stress of all the anxiety. I hold all my tension in my neck and it's killing me. This seriously sucks. I was good to go until I needed to get off Venlafaxine because we're ttc. But I wouldn't want to hurt my baby, so I'm hoping this will all be worth it and we'll get pregnant soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"