TTC with coeliac disease ... How long does this take!!

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by SummerLily, Jan 29, 2011.

1. SummerLily

SummerLily mummy To Triplet Boys

Hey Ladies ...

:baby: :cry:

ok ... hubby and I have been TTC for over 2 years now. Sadly , we had no luck , visited the doctor who ran some blood tests and found that I wasnt ovulating very much ..

I do have coeliac disease and sadly was not aware of the infertility problems that came with it, I was diagnosed a little over a year ago but sadly wasnt very good in sticking to a gluten free diet ( very difficult after 20 years !! ) but since reading up and finding out this may be the cause to our problems Ive been completly gluten free for the last 3 weeks and although i didnt take a OPK i do believe that i ovulated!

Does anyone else have to dfollow a gf diet and has managed to conceieve by doing so ??? Is there any particular type of vitamins that I am supposed to take ?

please help !!!

p.s - DH SA came back completly normal and all my tests were normal and tubes fine , only problem is that lack in constant ovulation ... once conceieved the little bundle of joy will be our first ! xx

2. TandJ

TandJ Mom; 1 here, 2 in Heaven

The drs told me I may have that as well, I just havnt been tested yet, interesting ! :thumbup:

3. SummerLily

SummerLily mummy To Triplet Boys

well ive been gluten free his month and already have had better signs than any other month ! just not sure its the a positive thingyet lol!

definatly worth trying though! xx :flower: x

4. lisa1980

lisa1980 Well-Known Member

Hi Summerlily, :flower:

I'm also coeliac - have been for 11 years (OMG hadn't realised until I wrote it that it was that long - 11yrs since I've had a twiglet :winkwink:)

I was pretty sick when I was diagnosed so have stuck fairly religiously to a gf diet since.

We've only been TTC for a month but I stopped BC 5 months ago and have ovulated every month so far going by symptoms and OPKs - don't know if it's to do with the diet or just chance...

My aunt is also coeliac and she's had 3 kids without any problems so fingers crossed it should be fine.

The only different vits I take is 5mg folic acid instead of the usual 400micrograms.

Good luck and baby dust to you!!!!

Lisa x

5. Fritty

Fritty Well-Known Member

Hiya

I have coeliac diease got diagonsied nearly 5 years ago after having my gull bladder removed! We have been trying properly for over a year and before then for about 2 years as having fun baby dancing. My spec has told me that there shouldn't be any reason not to not have a baby as long as you are on the gluten free diet but if you don't stick to it then there are increased risk of miscarriage. I also have to calcium tablets and have a thyroid problem so not convinced these aren't factors in my not having managed to get pregant.

I am on my 1st cycle of clomid so hoping this will help.

Good luck to you all and happy trying xx

6. Woob

Woob Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    As I understand, yes coeliac can affect fertility and it is therefore great that you have been able to commit to making these changes so far. As always the body is a funny thing and everyone will respond differently. Many people will have undiagnosed coeliac or choose not to stick to the diet and still conceive. However I would urge you to keep going as it will take approx 3-6 months for your gut to fully recover in order for you to absorb foods properly (although you may well conceive earlier). Also, even if you do not have many noticeable symptoms, you may well be surprised how much better you feel.

For me, although I stick religiously to my GF diet and have done for 9 years, I am still not menstruating 11 months after stopping BC, although this appears to be related to some recent weight loss. This has all been investigated by the gastro consultant, which has confirmed I am sticking properly to the diet. Hopefully soon things will get back to normal.....

I think your body will need more time, but sounds like you've made a good start. Which bits do you find most difficult about the diet? Sometimes I think it can help to identify these things and I'm always happy to share tips if it helps. x