TTC with OH on anti depressants

yourstruly10

Reaction score
Hey ladies.
Just typing this out to see if anyone can relate. OH and I are ready for baby number 3 but he is on anti depressants and one of the major side effects is low sex drive and difficult time achieving orgasm. We have been on a pretty steady schedule of very second day as this worked both times with my girls. Most times we have no problem but today he couldn't do it and I'm right in my most fertile time. I know there isn't anything I can really do but I'm hoping maybe someone can relate.

i can relate :) we've had a couple of moments like that, when OH was on his last anti depressants. he had sleep problems on those ones so he got changed to new ones and we havent had a problem since.

sorry - i dont have advice! just thought I'd stop by to let you know you're not alone :)

Hey ladies.
Just typing this out to see if anyone can relate. OH and I are ready for baby number 3 but he is on anti depressants and one of the major side effects is low sex drive and difficult time achieving orgasm. We have been on a pretty steady schedule of very second day as this worked both times with my girls. Most times we have no problem but today he couldn't do it and I'm right in my most fertile time. I know there isn't anything I can really do but I'm hoping maybe someone can relate.

Sounds like he is on paxil... My fiance was on that and nothing worked for him... Couldn't get hard, couldn't orgasm.. So he went to his doctor and put him on something else.. And then he moved in with me and went off his depressant cause he wasn't depressed anymore.. His depression was being lonely.. And well.. He has my son and me, so he is happy.. But trying for number 2 and a girl has gotten him a little upset.. But maybe if you go to the doctor and say I'm ttc and I need a depressant that won't have side effects to my sex drive and everything else going on!! Good Luck!!

Thanks ladies. He's on citaloptam. He's been on it for years and will likely need it forever as his is a chemical imbalance not just the regular old sad depression. We have though about going to his doctor and talking about it which I hope he will but I'm having problems on my end to which I think is getting to him too. During my fertile period I tend to bleed after sex and it scares him. I think that has something to do with the low sex drive. He thinks he's hurting me. I think we need a nice adult combo to figure this all out I hope. I'm kinda scared the bleeding after sex will stop me from getting pregnant. I'm heading to the doctors this weekend though so we'll see.

Is the pill he is on is it like a antidepressant and a mood stabilizer? If soo have him try Geodon.. I was on it with no problems! Good luck

ahh my husband had those problems on citalopram too! now he's on venlalic (venlafaxine) and we dont have the issue anymore :)

I used to take that a long time ago and i couldnt orgasm either.

Has he thought of going to the doctors and getting it changed over slowly to minimize symtoms?

I used to take that a long time ago and i couldnt orgasm either.

Has he thought of going to the doctors and getting it changed over slowly to minimize symtoms?

Interesting... Well.. It don't matter to me.. I have never had an orgasm.. I know tmi.. I hear I'm missing out!! Kinda sad right!??

Hey,

I feel your pain. My partner is on paroxetine and has difficulty a lot with not being able to ejaculate so yeah, kinda of an issue when TTC! It's also, like your hubby, not an option for him to come off the medication as it's a chemical problem and if he came off it he would just be completely unhappy and well, I dread to think of some of the consequences.

x

Hey,

I feel your pain. My partner is on paroxetine and has difficulty a lot with not being able to ejaculate so yeah, kinda of an issue when TTC! It's also, like your hubby, not an option for him to come off the medication as it's a chemical problem and if he came off it he would just be completely unhappy and well, I dread to think of some of the consequences.

x

I know what it is like to have a chemical imbalance!! It isn't fun when you come off the pills.. I went off my pills and ended up seeing things, and hearing things, and then I was put in the hospital for a 72 hour hold.. It was the longest 72 hours! And I missed Easter with my little man.. It sucked.. Never doing that again!! So I talked to my ob and she put me on safe pills if I got pregnant!!

Thanks for all the suport ladies. We had a nice talk at lunch and he has booked a dr appointment for July 10th and I am going for myself this Saturday. We are going to continue trying this month but I worry it won't happen sice in bleeding after sex each time.

hey I understand, due to stress through work and because we have been ttc for 5 months my husband had problems finishing. , maybe if you don't tell him when your fertile days are and just have an relaxed approach with him (even though I know it's all us girls can think about), it might help him a little, I think when men think that they might not be able to perform, they can't. Though I know side effects of medication can't be helped, I am on venaflaxen, which I stopped taking 4 days ago This month I also invested in some outfits from anne summers which worked a treat lol x

Im in the same situation. Unfortunately having done some research it would seem that anti depressants don't just reduce sexual performance they are extremely bad for sperm and causes damage to them. Apparently this is easily remedied and sperm returns to normal a month or so after they are stopped. A pregnancy is also highly likely to end in m/c under these circumstances too.

OH and I had been TTC for over a year before being prescribed anti depressants so our TTC journey has been further hampered. We will however keep trying and hope something miraculous happens. Yesterday I got what I thought was my bfp, turns out it was a dud test!

I hope what I've written doesn't scare you or put you off but I thought it may be helpful to let you know of the other factors involved. I hope it all works out as you would wish and you get the baby you so desire.

My DH is on citrilopram and experiences this occasionally too! Super frustrating!
I was worried it was an impending sign of ED trouble down the road. I am so glad I came across this thread, I am gonna delicately suggest he talks to his MD about switching to something else.

I have basically told him while we are TTC that he just needs to get his "rocks off" (TMI!) ASAP and not worry about me. I never tell him when I am fertile and definitely never tell him when I use PreSeed so he has less pressure. That seems to do the trick most of the time. But it can still be really aggravating. Sometimes it feels like there is three of us trying to make baby - me, DH and his uncooperative penis. :growlmad:

Thank you for your stories, you really made me feel much better!

now all i can think is 'is that why we're not pregnant yet? cos OH is on venlafaxine?' gah. he needs the pills though! and obviously I dont want to put pregnancy above his wellbeing...and venlafaxine works well for him...much better than the citalopram did...and i know if i talk to him about it, he'd see it as "oh wow...im the problem. this is why we arent pregnant..' and THAT wont help!

why dont they tell you venlafaxine can do that! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"