Tubal Ligation after C-Section??

mtnprotracy

Reaction score
Hi, ladies :).

This is baby #4 for us....he'll arrive via c-section in April. I'm 41 and this is probably our last go around. We are considering a tubal ligation since the doctors will be in there anyway :blush:.

I wondered if any of you were electing to do this....I haven't really researched it to see if there are down sides or complications to having it done at the same time. It seems to me that it shouldn't be so bad....but I'd love to hear your thoughts or experiences ;).

Thanks so much,

Tracy

I too am having my 4th LO ~ (& 4th csection)

My Doctor asked if id like this done, so I went home & researched :coffee:

Turns out there are some possible side effects, possible ectopic pregnancy, heavy/painfull periods, hormonal changes etc......

Hence, I have decided NOT to get it done & gonna send DH for the 'snip' :winkwink:

I told the Doctor my reasons & he agreed that I shouldnt get it done if I have any doubts/concerns, just because they already have me 'open'

Good luck with making your decision ~ This is purely my thinking :flower:

hi im also on 4th baby and going for my 3rd c/s . ive opted to get it done while they are doing the c/s . ive never looked in to any possible side effects .i just thought why not when im open. as i dont plan on any more kids as im 39 this year :flower:

question ladies, what is the preferred age to be entitled to a tubal ligation?
it seems to be that in most countries from what I hear the age to be allowed one is 35 or over, and its unlikely you would get one under 35 unless you have more than four children

Useful thread !!

I wanted to tie my tubes and asked my OB/GYN, where she said it best to do it and CAN be done during the c-section. I'll be 34 this May and this is my 3rd boy and 3rd c-section. Here, in Italy doctors don't advise to go beyond 3 c-sections. After discussing with DH we decided I'll get it done during my c-section to be scheduled.

i am 30 years old and im having my third baby.. my first two were naturel births and iv opted for a c section this time round as i had a traumatic delivery with my last... im also having my tubes tied while they are doing the section as i cannot take any contreceptive i have tried so many... its my choice not to have anymore children and my husband is only 28 and i would not ask him to get the snip...

Im only 25 years old and just had mine done 6 days ago during my c section. This is my husbands and my 3rd boy via c section and we both agreed our family would be complete. So we figured im already open why not. I didnt look into side effects though... It all went well, guess ill just wait and see. :thumbup:

I will be having my 3rd baby and am 32. It will be my 3rd section. As I have gotten sick the last two pregnancy and will likely get sick this time we figured that it would probably be best. I believe that there are side effects to any surgery or procedure despite how minor. I am sure that there are some for the man to get snipped as well just haven't looked it up. It will only be about 2000 more since they are already there. I would go ahead and do it.

I too am having my 4th LO ~ (& 4th csection)

My Doctor asked if id like this done, so I went home & researched :coffee:

Turns out there are some possible side effects, possible ectopic pregnancy, heavy/painfull periods, hormonal changes etc......

Hence, I have decided NOT to get it done & gonna send DH for the 'snip' :winkwink:

I told the Doctor my reasons & he agreed that I shouldnt get it done if I have any doubts/concerns, just because they already have me 'open'

Good luck with making your decision ~ This is purely my thinking :flower:

^^^^ this

I didn't have my tubal ligation done during a c section, but it is a proceedure which really needs to be thought about :hugs:

It really bugs me that doctors (usually male LOL) don't tell the whole truth about female sterilisation ... after I had mine I had the most appalling problems with both period and ovulation cramps (I'd never had them so badly before in my life) and the most incredibly heavy bleeeding ( 7 to 10 days and passing clots the size of my thumbs became normal for me after the op).

Those problems went on for years and only stopped (for obvious reasons) after I had a hysterectomy some 6 years later ... talking to others among my friends in RL who have also had ligations, it's quite common - and quite common for the heavy bleeding to lead to hysterectomy after a few years too :(

Back then, when I had mine, the internet wasn't around so I had no chance of finding this stuff out before the op and it was all presented to me as being simple. straightforward and side effect free :nope: If I had known then what I know now then I would never have had it done :(

So glad that this thread is here.

I too will be having a C-section. This will be my 2nd but for medical reasons I can't go through another pregnancy. TBH I'm so confused after reading stuff online. Has anyone ever heard of Essure?

https://www.essure.com/what-is-essure/how-essure-works

It seems like it is a safe alternative but I don't know of anyone that has had it or has thought about it. :blush:

So glad that this thread is here.

I too will be having a C-section. This will be my 2nd but for medical reasons I can't go through another pregnancy. TBH I'm so confused after reading stuff online. Has anyone ever heard of Essure?

https://www.essure.com/what-is-essure/how-essure-works

It seems like it is a safe alternative but I don't know of anyone that has had it or has thought about it. :blush:

I'll definitely ask my doctor about Essure. I'll admit that I'm more than a little nervous after doing a bit of research. I'm interested to see what my doctor says.

Me too! There are a lot of horror stories about them not taking and having abdominal problems and all kinds of stuff. I will definitely talk to my doctor too to see what he has to say.

My consultant refused to do this for me simply because I had had so many losses (lost 6 babies altogether) and she said I needed to be 100% right at the time for it to happen. I suppose in a way I am glad because i think if I couldnt have anymore children I would be quite upset, even though in my heart my family is complete x

PLEASE research before deciding on a tubal ligation.

I had my tubal ligation in Dec. of 2010 (36 years old) and six weeks later my nightmare began. There is something called Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome and I would recommend anyone thinking about a ligation to research it fully. Only after suffering for a few weeks did things start pointing to PTLS and we made the decision to have a reversal. It cost us $6,000 but I can tell you, now nine months since the reversal it was the best money ever spent.

I am now completely pain free and no longer experiencing symptoms of PTLS.

This is a very real issue that unfortunately doctors are quick to dismiss. Do some research and you will see the staggering numbers of women suffering after a ligation only to be told by doctors it's in their heads.

Yes, it's entirely possible to have a ligation and not have any issues whatsoever. But you owe it to yourself to do some homework prior because there IS the real possibility that you could have major issues. Do NOT rely on your doctors assurance that there are no side effects.

Another thing I've noticed in researching ... there are a LOT of women that have a ligation, no bad side effects, however they regret not having their fertility anymore.

*off my soapbox* :thumbup:

Thanks for the information Edna. Me and my husband are still deciding what will be best for us. I have a few more months to decide thank goodness :D

This definitely has to be my last pregnancy...if I go through another one I could possibly die. I hate to ask my husband to get a vasectomy but at the same time getting my tubes tied seems risky (with everything I've researched) so right now it's just up in the air.

I had this with a c section and I am so far very happy and content

Weird that even though I know i don't want more children now I wouldn't be able to , but excited to know whatever I plan now it can go ahead, no more suprises for me and o want to go gym get slim and start to relax and enjoy my children and plan for a future where I can go out and get my career back etc

Good luck girls on your choices, I didn't google research I asked Drs and was satisfied and still am

I'm done having kids and was considering having tubal ligation done during my csection 5 weeks ago. Changed my mind after reading about PTLS. I didn't want to take any chances with that. I will just have to find another way.

Im currently doing research about this as we sure we are done having anymore kids we will have 4 in total.

My doctor has however told me to be 100% sure as there is no going back but Im as sure about it as I was when I found out I was pregnant and said that this is my last.

My one friend also had hers done and she doesn't regret getting it done and has no complications whatsoever. Just like you Oldermummy I want to focus on my career, my body and just giving my best of myself to my kids.

I had mine done six weeks ago we were very committed to only having one child and I struggled with birth control and multiple miscarriages I just don't have it in me to go through it again. So far no complications and I feel fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->