tucked in thumb 10mths old

kelkel

2 boys under 2
Reaction score
As the title says my 10mth old keeps his left thumb tucked into his palm all the time (like instead of a high 5 he does a high 4)
He only does the pincer grasp with his right hand.
If i straighten it he just tries to put it back into his palm.
Is this normal??? What couldI be wrong (stupid me googled it and cp showed up but im sure its not that) thought by now hed have the princer grasp down (like i said he does w his right just not his left)

Hey I posted a similar thread when my dd was five months, both thumbs were tucked in but left was worse. Someone replied it could be "trigger thumb". I asked dr google of cos and got really worried (stupid me)

During my 6 months visit, my paediactrician wasn't worried at all, and of coz now her thumbs are normal, and has mastered pincer grip.

I know ur Lo is older, my paedi did say if the thumb is still tucked in by 10 months then she may need to see an ot for training fine motor skills.

Hope it helps X

my son does straighten it on his own very rairly though. My next door neighbor is a nurse and i asked her to look at it. She said all the bones/tendions r there and to her it looks like he may have a tight tendon in his thumb (trigger thumb)
Guess ill be calling his peditrition tomorrow and see what she says..

Hi Kelkel! I was wondering did your son's thumb improve? My DD does the same but with her right hand. She can and will use it but it seems to be tucked in often. Thanks.

Hey,

I know I'm not the OP but I just wanted to say that my LO STILL thumb tucks and she is 14.5 months old.

It's mostly the right thumb, though she often does it with both while she's walking around.

She can use both hands perfectly well - she just prefers to tuck her thumbs in. Whether it's a comfort, sensory or developmental thing, I'm not sure.

However, what I do know is that she is FINE. I had her assessed by a physiotherapist a few weeks ago as for the longest time her right hand seemed weaker than her left hand, and I was freaking out about CP. The difference has since totally resolved itself without intervention and was deemed to be due to a right-sided thumbsucking habit that meant her left hand had more opportunity to practice.

The physio saw her tuck her thumbs and just shrugged and said it was nothing to worry about - that if there was a problem there, she would find it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to move her thumb or maybe even unclench her fist. As it is, she has great control of her hands. The fact that your child is using her hand is a very good sign.

The physio noted also that my baby is hypermobile in a lot of her joints. While holding our thumbs in our palms might be uncomfortable for those of us with regular joints, maybe when you have a larger range of movement, it feels comfortable? I don't know, but it's one theory of mine!

Is your LO a loose and flexible type?

Wow! You read my mind. I have been freaking about CP forever. She likes to tuck her right thumb in. DD is 21 months by the way. She can use her right hand for everything, in fact, she uses it more than her left. Its just that awkward thumb thing that bothers me. I had her assessed by a PT and OT, and they have dismissed my concerns. BUT I still worry that it is a sign of something else ... But your post reassures me. Thanks!

It isn't. It really, really isn't. I am sure it is just a quirk and nothing more - if she's developmentally on track, and as you say, even favours the quirky hand then I find it highly unlikely she has CP. I know how it feels to always wonder and worry about it though, and it is truly horrible. You kind of get stuck there, watching every movement and getting obsessed by the smallest things.

At 21 months though, she would have been picked up by now, especially as you have had her assessed by two therapists. Remember, these people work with hundreds of CP individuals a year, affected to varying degrees of severity, so they know what they are looking for. They know what a CP body and pattern of movement feels and looks like, from the mildest case to the most severe.

Even if our girls DO have the mildest form of CP known to man, it clearly isn't holding them back ... :)

You are right Meep, and definitely get the obsession part. It has been so hard!! I hope I can move foreward now. Although with time I have improved a lot. I guess its time to stop watching her right thumb ;)

I feel you - has been very hard here too. I still have off days when I manage to convince myself into worrying about it a bit. But 95% of the time, things are vastly improved. I don't watch her hands any more, whereas before I literally used to count how many times she chose her right or her left to do something.

Good luck moving on. :D

I know this is old? But any updates? My 10mo is like this and I’m worried

I know this is old? But any updates? My 10mo is like this and I’m worried

Hi, the original poster of this thread hadn't been online here for years. If you start your own thread you will get more replies :) ❤️

Thanks, I was hoping some of the others on the thread would reply

Hi! I'm not the OP but I remember posting on this thread, and how much my baby's thumb-tucking worried me.

She's heading for 7 now and totally, 100% normal. She is also completely right-handed, even though it was the right thumb that she tucked, and the left hand that she favoured for ages as a baby.

She has really beautiful, neat, joined up handwriting even though she's only 6. She is doing beyond well in all areas at school, particularly in subjects that require her to use a pen or pencil a lot, like English and art. So for us, it meant absolutely nothing. Zero.

I do remember how scary it was though, especially as Google was less than helpful. Please write back if you'd like to talk more about it. :)

Oh Meep! You’ve no idea how pleased I am you replied as I identify a lot more with your post than OPs in my little boy’s behaviour with his thumb.

I am so, so happy that things worked out completely fine for you and your daughter; it gives me hope.

My boy has just turned 10 months and tucks his right thumb in sometimes but for example was practicing his pincer tonight on that side and can grasp with it etc.and can feed himself with a spoon on that side etc
He does so this weird (in my head) thing where he’ll tuck it and kind of scratch at something with the four fingers then release the thumb to grasp. I have no idea if it’s normal or if your baby did this, but like your daughter, he’s been through a physio assessment and she wasn’t worried at all.

If you’re happy to share anecdotes or whatever with me for my sanity, I’d be so grateful. I really can’t tell you how happy I am you replied!

Hello again! Glad to be of service if I can be. :haha: I am a terrible worrier and always happy to share my experiences with others going through anxiety about something as it's just so horrible.

As you've read my old post you'll be aware that I used to be really worried my daughter had one-sided cerebral palsy (hemiplegia). Is this what you are worried about too?

(As I understand it, it's really hard for a person who tends to 'fist' their hand due to abnormalities in the brain to unfist the hand and use it properly and with ease. So if your son is using his pincer grip with that hand, then that's a really good sign. Also, if he 'chooses' that hand over the other to do things with, chances are it works perfectly well. I believe a child with hemiplegia would always choose their 'good' hand and the difference would be apparent - part of the reason I was so worried when my daughter could pick up a tub of Sudocrem or a ball with her left hand but not her right!)

Or is it more the weird motion he is making with his hand before he picks things up sometimes that is freaking you out? I can't say I particularly remember my LO doing that, but having had two kids now, it's safe to say that they do extremely strange things when they are very small and have various odd little habits ... ALL of which worried me to death when my children did them, so you're not alone. They grew out of 100% of those things. I still worry now, but about different things!

Is he your first baby?

I am inclined to assume your son is absolutely fine and just doing a freakish baby thing that he will grow out of. You don't mention how he is in other respects - his milestones and general development with regard to gross motor skills, etc.?

Something I struggled with, especially when my first was tiny, was looking at her as a whole child. I tended to focus only on the thing that I was obsessed with (her 'weaker' hand and thumb in this instance) and see it as a sure sign that she MUST have something wrong with her, rather than looking at all the other signs that showed she had absolutely nothing wrong (she had an equal pincer grip on both sides, had done everything on time or early, could talk beautifully and walk well, etc. etc. etc.). For me, it was totally anxiety talking, not helped by the fact Google said it could be a sign of something more sinister. But I think in those cases, it would never be the ONLY sign.

It really helped me seeing the physio. I am so glad you have seen one too! They work with children with many different conditions and are amazingly adept at picking up on abnormal movement patterns, so the fact they didn't see any is reassuring!

For the record, my daughter stopped thumb-tucking by the time she was 2 and I knew she was right-handed by the time she was 3. Chances are, once your son gets these new skills down to a fine art, he'll stop.

Always happy to chat further if you want to! Sorry for the rather long and rambly message though. :haha:

Last edited:
Please don’t apologise; your replies have meant so much to me, certainly not rambly!

Yes, he is my first and I am also worried about hemi CP.
It’s a LONG story but he basically ended up getting video reviewed by a neuro for shudders (benign thankfully) but she pointed out the fisting on the right side. It evened out a lot since and she’s since seen videos of his hands and said not concerned but I think the seed was planted.

Milestone wise, he babbles, is amazing at problem solving, emerging pincer grip, rolling at 5 months, sitting at 6...but has always hated tummy time so now bottom shuffles. He’s desperately trying to crawl but just not there yet. He mimics and is generally a very loving, happy, smiley boy.

And yes that’s a good observation! He kind of flicks or scratches the thing he wants to pick up although it’s not every time. You could sit him down surrounded by blocks and he would grab them instantly.
As a more experienced mother than I am, it’s so nice to hear that they have so many quirks they grow out of.

I have to be honest, I have been so anxious and sometimes I’ve let my fears get away with me but it’s so, so hard when you’re confronted with Google screaming CP at you!

You really think he’ll be ok? I’m so, so happy for you that your little one is! And nearly 7?! I bet this brought back some memories!

Ah ok, I can totally see how the neuro's comments will have sparked this! And of course, you then watch your baby obsessively and pick up every tiny movement they make that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I'm so sorry, it's no fun at all. :(

My CP worry arose very early when my daughter was struggling to breastfeed and choked on milk a lot. I convinced myself she had issues with swallowing and Google told me that was a sign she had CP. So then every little thing she did which wasn't quite right (in my head) became further evidence to me of her 'condition' ... until the physio told me she didn't have it. :haha:

She did continue to choke regularly on water from a cup, though, until she was almost 5! And I was obsessed with that too. :( But even that, which took 5 years to grow out of, meant nothing in the end. It was my reaction that was the problem, not what she was doing - quite soon before it stopped, I made a desperate thread on here asking other mums if their kids did it too, and quite a few did - the difference being that their mums weren't worried in the slightest!

My younger daughter used to do this awful thing from 6 months or so where she would grit her teeth, tense up her whole body, go red and shake/vibrate for a few seconds, seemingly for no reason. I hated it and thought it was infantile spasms! She was such a jittery little thing. She did stop doing it eventually, and is perfectly normal, but God knows what a neurologist would have made of my bizarre babies!

I take it he has stopped the shuddering now? Was it put down to something like an immature nervous system? His development certainly sounds like it is on track, and (with the hindsight provided by my limited experience with kids) I think you can take some comfort from the fact it isn't EVERY time that he does his scrabbly thing with his fingers. From what you say, he can grab things perfectly as well, which wouldn't be the case if he had a permanent problem with his brain and CP. I wonder if he has only started doing this since he began working on his pincer grip? Maybe he's getting his wires crossed sometimes and will stop when he has fully mastered the pincer?

I wonder also when this will stop for you, or whether there is anything that will convince you he doesn't have CP? In my head, it was always 'When she walks, I'll stop worrying about CP' - but she walked at 12 months and that was when I really started to notice the thumbs, so it didn't help! :haha:

Your son will be ok whether he has CP or not. But from what you've said, I really don't think he has it. His general development sounds absolutely fine. I'm sure if he had it, there would be further issues.

Yes, lots of memories coming up, but to be honest I haven't changed that much! Two summers ago I had her in a dermatologist's office as I was sure she had neurofibromatosis (because of a few 'odd' freckles on her arms - she doesn't have it). Most recently, I've come to the conclusion that my youngest has rickets and that both girls have scoliosis! I am basing this on the fact that I had (have) a very severe vitamin D deficiency which wasn't picked up until my youngest was 2 and I became symptomatic. So now I'm worried my breastmilk was shit, and as I am a terrible mother who didn't religiously supplement, I have deformed their skeletons. Even though there is nothing wrong with them. Anxiety sucks!

I know you said I wasn't rambly, but it's clear from this message that I am. :haha:

I think we are the same person!

You are SO accurate in everything you’re saying, from the just focusing on his hand instead of seeing him as a whole to the creating kind of crutch/goals in my head like walking. I can’t believe how similar we are.

When the neuro reviewed the videos of him doing the 4 finger take thing her words were “I see what you mean, but he has great manipulation and uses both hands equally and with ease and grasps well. You really have nothing to be worried about.” Even a friend telling me sometimes her son does it hasn’t stopped me worrying!

I was worried his shudders were infantile spasms too, so I totally get where you’re coming from with your daughter. That’s what sparked his neuro referral off. It’s so scary isn’t it?
He’s largely grown out of them to be fair. The neuro said that some babies just do. No rhyme or reason. And he’ll tend to grow out of it by the time he’s toddling. No link to autism or anything like that, but the only thing that can determine it’s not an epileptic condition is an EEG and he started his shudders at 4/5 months right around the onset time for West Syndrome so I was convinced. The local doctors were shocking and wouldn’t even do an EEG or refer him to a neuro so we paid for a fantastic neuro privately in London, so that was the start of the anxiety journey. And again, you’re totally right, I now watch him like a hawk and see things I don’t think any other parent would necessarily.

I think this rakey/flappy hand thing is almost him checking out textures and he seems to be doing it less. In my head, if he had CP, there wouldn’t be progress with it?
As you can see, I’m not any closer to getting over it in my head!
I’m just too scared to accept that he’s ok. Does that make any sense?

I couldn’t agree more; anxiety is awful.
I’ve tried CBT but it didn’t really work. Have you ever tried anything like that? Sorry it’s a personal question.

From everything you’ve said, you’re an amazing mother with two amazing girls who are absolutely thriving because of you, so please don’t think any differently about breast milk or anything!!

I definitely hear myself in you too. It makes me sad as I know how awful it is and hate to think there is someone else out there struggling at the beginning of this rather terrifying journey called motherhood. :(

Your son will walk, of course - then hopefully you'll be able to let CP 'go'. Unfortunately, though, if you are a naturally anxious person like me you will probably always find something to be worried about. It's so frustrating!

Your neuro's analysis sounds great. She's coming at it both as a professional with (presumably) plenty of experience AND as someone who isn't personally attached to, or anxious about, your son. So while you might see his funny hand movement and think OH MY GOD, MY BABY, WHY IS HE DOING THIS??? WHAT DOES IT MEAN???? she is able to rationalise it into 'Yes, he's doing something a little unusual sometimes, but as a whole he manipulates objects well, uses both hands equally (unlike Meep's daughter who still turned out to be totally typical!) and with ease, and therefore this little movement is irrelevant'.

I think you have to trust her! Easier said than done though, I know.

West syndrome and the grim prognosis associated with it is truly awful - it's no wonder we have both been scared. At about 3/4 months, my second daughter had a really weird episode where she was lying on her back and she suddenly did a massive, prolonged startle/Moro thing with a grimace on her face, then burst into screams. I was terrified. That was when I found out what infantile spasms were and over the next few weeks I became convinced that every tiny twitch or jerk was a spasm and ended up (like you) paying for a private paed to have a look at her. She got a clean bill of health, but it obviously didn't stop me worrying, as she then started up the shaking thing she did, which I thought was spasms as well! :dohh:

Yes, you're right - he would make little or no progress with his hand without intervention from PT, OT, etc. There was a mum on here a few years ago whose son had a stroke when he was a few weeks old and he had hemi. He was mild and did very well with his gross motor skills - I believe he walked earlier than a lot of 'typical' babies. He also had a lot of remaining function in his hemi hand compared to many other children with the condition, but he still needed a lot of therapy and a thumb splint and so on. I did reach out to this mum when I was worried about my daughter and she told me her son, despite being on the mild end, would have struggled to even get his hemi thumb into his mouth, to cross that hand over his body, to pick up larger objects and smaller ones well, etc.

Honestly, I think you'd know.

It makes perfect sense - he's your son. You want him to be healthy and have a good life where everything goes well for him, and so you're afraid to let your vigilance slip in case you miss something that you could have prevented or helped with. Forgive me if I am wrong here - I can only make assumptions based on how I felt ... and I certainly still feel like this to some degree, though my early worries have dissipated (and been replaced with new ones - it's all part of my habitual thought process!).

I've been anxious all my life and have had a few different types of therapy - CBT, EFT, life coaching, etc. but I believe my anxiety is so deeply rooted now I am an adult that I will always have it, and nothing really helps that much. All I can do is try to rationalise my thoughts and manage my reactions as far as I can. I've never known anxiety so intense as that which I feel about my children - but I've found as I get older (and so do they) that it stings less and that an 'episode' is neither as all-consuming nor as long-lasting as it would have been when they were really little. I'm not sure why this is, but I think it might be something to do with the fact that literally nothing (apart from their tongue ties) I have worried about has ever come to anything or been proven to be real. The fact that I am a highly anxious person doesn't make it any more likely that they will have anything wrong with them.

It's me, not them.

And thanks - I do try my best, but as I always say, everything you say, do or decide as a parent comes with a big fat packet of guilt - so if there ever was anything wrong, I'd automatically find the reason why it was my fault. :rofl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"