tummy time and rolling over

isil

Reaction score
Alasdair used to love tummy time. Now he hates it. He either cries or pushes his face into the floor/whatever he's lying on and sucks it. I've tried to do it at different times (just after a feed (even though we're risking the sickies!), just before a feed, in the middle of feeds...) but it doesn't seem to make a difference!

Is there anything you can recommend to make him like tummy time again?!

Also, I'm worried that because he hates tummy time now, he's not going to learn to roll. Or do the two not correlate? He lies on his back quite happily.

Is there anything I can do to encourage his rolling or will it just happen or not happen no matter what I do?

So ends my paranoid post of today!

yes. He turns his face away from me! I talk to him and try to encourage him but no...it's floor sucking for him. I find it so strange that he really liked it and did well with it to start with but now won't even lift his head. I'm sure it'd be obvious if it was really hurting him or sore...wouldn't it?

Ella was the same gat his age hun.
To help her to adjust to tummy time i placed a cushion under her chest , after awhile she became good at holding her head up and started to do it on her own.

Athough being on her tummy isnt her fav thing to do now still :lol:

Teddy used to really hate it. Now he'll tolerate it. I tried one of the cushions too which helped a little for a couple of weeks until his head control was stronger. But the thing that I found worked most was doing tummy time when he had no clothes on before the bath. He likes being naked I guess.

Also, doing it after drying him when he got out of the bath when I'm rubbing his moisturiser in to his back adn back of his legs - I guess its like a little massage for him.

alexa used to hate tummy time, until she learned to roll over. i didnt like to keep her on her tummy because she hated it, and i was worried that she would not learn to roll over when she was supposed to, but one day, i put her on her tummy to put some lotion on, then i went to wash my hands and when i came back she was grunting, and then she rolled over! she was almost three months and i could not believe it happened so quick, so in her case, the amount of tummy time had nothing to do with her rolling over.

thanks everyone...lots of different things to try! I am going to try the cushion thing this afternoon with him :)

Colton used to hate it. And is actually just now getting into it.
He just rolled over (tummy to back) and is starting to push himself off the floor with his arms THIS month!!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try for a few minutes everyday and eventually he will learn. There are also lots of toys you can by that will put toys right under them so they can see them and play.
Oh, and not having any tummy time didn't effect Colton rolling from his back to his tummy (which he did at about 3mo), but it did effect him rolling tummy to back and having that strength in his arms. However, he has caught up really fast just in the past month; so again I dont think it's something to worry over too much.

Hannah isn't fond of it either. She'll tolerate it for a few minutes if we put a pillow under her and a mirror on the floor so she can look at herself

Flissy hated it too, but it didn't hinder her rolling ability. She just wouldn't stay on her tummy and cried when I encouraged her. In the end, I just let her be and when I did, she started going on her tummy more. I don't think she will crawl, though. She just rolls from one end of a room to another - it's quite funny to watch. HV said she was doing brilliantly at her 8 month check, even though she doesn't crawl.

c
x

thanks everyone - I feel very reassured!

It's funny that Chloe and Hannah don't like it too and they are all within a day or so of each other!

I tried with the little cushion (we have one with our baby gym thing) and it seemed to help a little. Although he still got very unimpressed quite quickly!

It's good to hear that it shouldn't hinder his development :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->