Tummy time toys

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by bluehorse, Nov 15, 2011.

1. bluehorse

bluehorse Mummy to Grace and Rowan

Hello ladies! :flower:

Can anyone recommend a really good toy for encouraging tummy time play? My daughter hated tummy time and was very late to roll and crawl and is still not walking so I want to perservere with Rowan.

2. Librastar2828

Librastar2828 Well-Known Member

id like to know this too..

My LO doesnt even turn his head when i lay hiom flat on the play mat and the little cushion that came with it isnt big enough to support him off the floor. So i just lay him on my tummy whille im proped up on a pillow and put toys around us.

Iv bought him one for xmas a tummy time roller mama and papas one form asda. hopefully it'll encourage him as its big with lots of toys attatched

3. TattiesMum

TattiesMum Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think that tummy time has any bearing on how early they roll/crawl :hugs:

Kaylum hated tummy time ... he just screamed :shrug: and he probably didn't get anywhere near the recommended amount of time - but he rolled at 4 months, crawled at 51/2 months and was cruising round the furniture by 7 months.

My great nephew on the other hand loves his tummy time ... he's quite happy to lay there for ages, reaching for toys etc. But he's 10 months old now and only just learning to roll, let alone crawl.

As it happens my daughter was an early crawler and my niece didn't crawl until she was about a year (back in the days before 'tummy time' had been thought of :winkwink: ). By the time they were two there was no difference between them in terms of motor skills and I don't suppose there will be with Kaylum and Ethan either - a lot of it is genetic IMHO :thumbup:

4. Maman

Maman Guest

those water filled tummy time mats are fab

5. MrsPoodle

MrsPoodle Mummy of a Princess

I used bubbles and rattles to encourage her to hold her head up, she use to hate it and now she loves it

6. bluehorse

bluehorse Mummy to Grace and Rowan

I am sure you are right but I can't help feeling I did something wrong with Grace... she sat up at 6 months but didn't crawl until 14 months and didn't roll in either direction until 15 months (must be some kind of record!). At nearly 22 months she is still not walking!