Twins and complications

Lully2011

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I found out today I’m having twins, can anyone tell me in general what are the complications to both me and the babies? I assume there is more complications with carrying 2 babies instead of 1 :D :D :D :D

WOW congrats to you!! Sorry dont have a clue about twins but im sure someone will be able to help.

Congratulations! Sorry, I don't know, but didn't want to read and run. Hope all goes well with the pregnancy!

Didn't want to read and run, but I haven't a clue either! :rofl:

There must be something in the water though cus there is a LARGE amount of women on here having twins at the minute! Maybe they might pop on here later and shed some light.

Congrats! :hugs:

Congratulations!! I am also having twins (fingers crossed they both stick!!) and all my midwife said to me was that we will have some extra scans to check that they are both growing ok and that one isn't stealing all the nutrients! Also we aren't likely to get to 40 weeks, in most places they will look to induce you if you reach 38 weeks.

She did say that the type of complications that you may face will depend on whether they are from two eggs or one egg that split early on. Apparently they can tell which it is at your 12 week scan.

I will probably find out more at my 12 week scan if both bubbas are happy and healthy (I haven't got a date for it yet but should be in 2 - 3 weeks) and will let you know what they say?

Also - have you checked the Twins, Triplets and Multiples thread - they are probably the best girls to ask as there is a mixture of pregnant ladies and new mums there x

Thanks girls....I'm still shocked! I'm just going to take it week by week but its very hard not to keep your hopes up and tell everyone the exciting news.

I'm hearing stories from girls who knew girls who knew girls who had twins haha so I just wanna set the record straight!!

Congratulations!! I am also having twins (fingers crossed they both stick!!) and all my midwife said to me was that we will have some extra scans to check that they are both growing ok and that one isn't stealing all the nutrients! Also we aren't likely to get to 40 weeks, in most places they will look to induce you if you reach 38 weeks.

She did say that the type of complications that you may face will depend on whether they are from two eggs or one egg that split early on. Apparently they can tell which it is at your 12 week scan.

I will probably find out more at my 12 week scan if both bubbas are happy and healthy (I haven't got a date for it yet but should be in 2 - 3 weeks) and will let you know what they say?

Also - have you checked the Twins, Triplets and Multiples thread - they are probably the best girls to ask as there is a mixture of pregnant ladies and new mums there x

All I know is there is 2 sacs, and I knew what this meant but when she said it I asked what did 2 sacs mean haha, I just went dopey! Then I asked her if she was playing with me when she said there was 2...I really didnt expect it!

I'm the same, I just hope they stick! It was a HUGE shock but I want them both now! :D

I didnt even know there was such a thread, that will come in very handy!

Good luck at your 12 week scan you havent got long to wait!! I'm not as far as I thought I was so Ive gone back a few steps but not to worry I have another scan in 2 weeks, hopefully this scan will locate heartbeats and check is all is ok :D :D EXCITING!

How exciting! I don't know any specific complications but I'm really happy for you!

wow how exciting!! I don't know either, but wanted to say congrats :)

Lully2011, Did you know you had twins in your family? Or was it a complete shock?

huge congratulations!! i have 4 year old fraternal twins which means non identical and in seperate sacs i had no complications really except they checked the growth at 32 weeks i had mine at 34 weeks by c section as they were transverse and i was sooooo huge myback had gone lol.my son was 5lb 5 and my daughter 5 lb 4 very good weights for 6 weeks early.! i am currently 6 weeks pg and had scan last week but all they could see was two empty sacs well they said they couldnt even call them sacs as they were empty, confusing i know lol and go back tom for another scan so i could have twins again!!! big congratulations hunni xx

huge congratulations!! i have 4 year old fraternal twins which means non identical and in seperate sacs i had no complications really except they checked the growth at 32 weeks i had mine at 34 weeks by c section as they were transverse and i was sooooo huge myback had gone lol.my son was 5lb 5 and my daughter 5 lb 4 very good weights for 6 weeks early.! i am currently 6 weeks pg and had scan last week but all they could see was two empty sacs well they said they couldnt even call them sacs as they were empty, confusing i know lol and go back tom for another scan so i could have twins again!!! big congratulations hunni xx

Yeah I heard its common to be brought in early! To me thats only a good thing!! :D

WOW!!! Congrats... Hope the next scan goes well :D

Contragulations, i was expecting twins last year, complete shock.

It depends what kind of twins your having, i was having monochorionic diamontic twins which means, they are in separate sacs but share a placenta. I got scanned fortnightly from 12 weeks onwards, and got told the only major risk was TTTS (Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome) which means because they are sharing the placenta one twin might get more nutrients etc than the other twin, but mine were perfectly fine up until 23 weeks.

I went for a scan on Christmas Eve and everything and twin A had a bit more amniotic fluid around it than twin B (its not a problem they can drain some of it) but that night i went into premature labour, i was 23 weeks and unfortunately they didnt survive.

Im not trying to frighten you and worry you to death im just saying what happened to me. I was complaining of pains that were horrendous and they kept sending me home telling me it was the pressure from carrying twins.

All i will say is if you feel something isnt right dont let them send you home with the usual story, all they said to me was, "things will be more difficult your carrying two" but i knew somethign wasnt right, however when your listening to professional you tend to believe them.

My best friend has identical twins girls and no problems at all with her pregnancy, i think i was just very unlucky.

Hope it all works out, and if you ever need to chat let me know.

I also have some books on multiple pregnancies if you want them, i doubt im having twins again but you never know xxx

Contragulations, i was expecting twins last year, complete shock.

It depends what kind of twins your having, i was having monochorionic diamontic twins which means, they are in separate sacs but share a placenta. I got scanned fortnightly from 12 weeks onwards, and got told the only major risk was TTTS (Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome) which means because they are sharing the placenta one twin might get more nutrients etc than the other twin, but mine were perfectly fine up until 23 weeks.

I went for a scan on Christmas Eve and everything and twin A had a bit more amniotic fluid around it than twin B (its not a problem they can drain some of it) but that night i went into premature labour, i was 23 weeks and unfortunately they didnt survive.

Im not trying to frighten you and worry you to death im just saying what happened to me. I was complaining of pains that were horrendous and they kept sending me home telling me it was the pressure from carrying twins.

All i will say is if you feel something isnt right dont let them send you home with the usual story, all they said to me was, "things will be more difficult your carrying two" but i knew somethign wasnt right, however when your listening to professional you tend to believe them.

My best friend has identical twins girls and no problems at all with her pregnancy, i think i was just very unlucky.

Hope it all works out, and if you ever need to chat let me know.

I also have some books on multiple pregnancies if you want them, i doubt im having twins again but you never know xxx

I'm very sorry to hear about your beautiful babies not surviving!

Thanks for the advice, I will defo listen to my gut. You think you can trust professionals when really you can only trust yourself!

Its still very early for me so I'm just taking it week by week, thats all I can do! I'm just living for 2 weeks time so I can hear their little heartbeats!! :D

Take care hun :D
x

That's the deciding factor with twins is the placenta be sure to ask next time and make sure your referral to consultant is done properly too mine wasn't and then myscan was rushed because they didn't book a big enough slot! Mine are seperates from two eggs so are lower risk which is all good in my book x

hiya
I had twin girls three weeks ago
I had extra scans for growth etc, plus was consultant led.
as for what type of twins theres now theorys that twins with two placentas can be identicle just to confuse everyone more lol

my girls are fraternal theyve got different colorings!

I gave birth at 34 weeks, which I guess is a complication, I also suffered spd, and water retention as well as my asthma going off the chart

but theyre totally worth it!!

congratulations

Congratulations on your baby girls!

i am having twins too! congrats.

Risks depend on if they are identical or not, as someone said identical carry the risk of TTTS - twin to twin transfusion syndrome, which can result in one or both babies dying.

My are non-identical, so its much less riskly, but still classed as high risk.

You are at greater chance of a section, more than half twin mums have a scetion, i beleive but not 100% that if they are identical i needs to be a section.

You are also at greater risk of the normal pregnancy things, like gastational diabesties, pre-eccampsia, etc.

you will have consultant led care, and be more monitored than a singleton pregnancy.

you are most likely going to deliver early although some women can go full term (usually 38 weeks in the uk).

you are also more likely to get things like spd, carpel tunnel (i have both already) and your body is going to be under greater starin.

You are also at risk of vanishing twin syndrome.

So there are 100's of risks, but you most likely wont get any, its just a risk and you will be monitored closer so hopfully you wont have any complications and if you do they will be caught sooner.

Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"