Twins

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive Over 35' started by monroea, Aug 28, 2020.

1. monroea

monroea Mommy to Riley

So I'm 35 and my husband and I have decided to try for one more baby. We're afraid we'll regret it if we don't give it one last shot. My question though is, have any of you heard of a woman that is 35+ getting pregnant with multiple (without fertility help)? I recently read that when you reach 35 you start producing a hormone that could potentially released more than one egg at a time. Have any of you heard about this? Know anyone that this has happened to?

2. Deethehippy

Deethehippy 4 children, 3 angels

I got pregnant with twins naturally at 38 but they are identical meaning one egg split and made two (not sure if that is more common with age or not - probably not)

monroea likes this.
  3. Suggerhoney

Suggerhoney 41 and Pregnant :)

Good luck with ttc. Im 40 and haven't heard that about that twin thing. Quite interesting tho I mite have to look into it.

4. JessaBear36

JessaBear36 Praying for a healthy Rainbow Baby

I'm 38 and never heard of this either.
    Interesting that for sure.

5. Cedemarie

Cedemarie Well-Known Member

I’m 36 and expecting fraternal twins. I have heard that after 35 the chance for twins/multiples increases.

6. mimi4

mimi4 Well-Known Member

I have not heard of this. Fingers and toes crossed

7. JayZee

JayZee New Member

No firsthand experiences but I did some searching and surprised I had not heard of this before. Check this out:

BBC NEWS | Health | Twins more likely for older mums

Looks like in one study there were 105 cases that resulted in frat. twins and of those:

<30 - 5 times
    30-35 - 45 times
    >35 - 55 times

That article does not mention what the distribution of ages was to begin with - but if it was somewhat even, that's a serious increase!

Are you hoping that you WILL or WONT have twins? :)

8. Bevziibubble

Bevziibubble Well-Known Member

That's interesting!

9. mimi4

mimi4 Well-Known Member

JayZee- thanks for sharing

10. ~Krissy~

~Krissy~ Well-Known Member

That is a terrifying article, honestly. Makes me scared to even think about becoming pregnant because the risks of so many abnormalities and risks go up so much more! Scary thought!

11. dutchessmom

dutchessmom Member

Such an interesting topic! I know of some cases that were able to get pregnant with twins without assistance. But if I'm not mistaken, doesn't that depend on your family tree too? If there are twins already? Or is that a hoax? In any case, I hope it happens for you!

12. happycupcake

happycupcake ‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’

You’re more likely to have twins if you (not dad) have twins on your side.

You’re also more likely to have twins with increasing age. I don’t think it’s common, but it becomes more likely that your body will release two eggs instead of just one in any cycle. I think this increases even more if using certain supplements like soy isoflavones too

13. dutchessmom

dutchessmom Member

Thank you for sharing this info! How interesting, good to know! I'll read upon the supplements just to get an idea. I'm not aiming for twins, but I think I'd be ecstatic if that were the case! Do you have twins?

14. happycupcake

happycupcake ‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’

No, I don’t. I took the soy because I was having trouble keeping a pregnancy, and read that it can increase the chances of multiples. I wouldn’t take it lightly though and not without a lot of research as it can mess things up. I probably wouldn’t take it to increase the chances of multiples either because it’s probably not hugely likely to happen. I think for the most part twins are luck of the draw