Two babies within 15 months - VBAC?

KateH & bump

Reaction score
Hi All

I had an Emerg C - Sec with DS in Feb last year - I was induced due to poly hydramnios, had hyper stimulated uterus, leading to fetal distress - only dilated to about 1cm.

We are blessed with being pg again (21 weeks) and am wondering whether I should even consider VBAC?

My consultant at the time said I should wait 18 months to 2 yeras before trying again to ensure scar had healed - does this mean it would be safer for baby and me to have an elective?

Two years down the line I would defo be going for a VBAC - but its the time since last sec that makes me wonder?

Anyone have any experience of this??

Thanks

Kate xxx

I had an EMCS Dec 2009 and I'm 23 weeks gone noe due in May (so lo will be 18months-ish)

I'm going for an HBAC...no reason why you shouldnt try for a VBAC hun, the risk of UR is the additional risk and it's tiny.

I had C-S in Jan last year and am now due at end of June (17 month gap)

Nobody has said anything about it and the midwife at the hospital talked to me and DH about contraception etc when she was discharging me and didn't say anything about my scars/not getting pregnant again too soon :shrug:

I'm just assuming from that that there's no real issue :shrug:

I haven't had a VBAC, but I do have some thoughts, and a bit of research to add.

Thoughts:
Personally I don’t think there should be a routine repeat of a c-section without clinical evidence that one is needed.
The only physiological reason one should be needed is pelvic/cephalic disproportion. (i.e. babies head too big to get past the pelvis)
There is a fear in VBAC that the uterine scar might not be able to withstand the pressure of labour and might separate or rupture. Incidence of this is 1 in 500 for a lower “bikini-line” scar. However there it has been shown that the risk or UR does increase when labour is augmented and accelerated with syntocin.
Remember there are other reasons other than on clinical evidence why a VBAC can be discouraged as an obstetric practice; Fear of litigation, lack of patience, theoretical risks (which haven’t been demonstrated), and inexperience.

Quick bit of Research
This site has lots of info and leads you to other links which gives guidelines, incidences and data on Uterine rupture.
https://www.caesarean.org.uk/FAQ.html#VBAC
I particularly like this quote;
"Really the only reasons that you would need to have a repeat caesarean is if you had a reason in the current pregnancy that would warrant a caesarean even if you had not already had one"

Remember it is always your choice, whatever it maybe, and make your decision on how you are presenting with this pregnancy.. Not the complications of your previous, as they were specific to your last pregnancy or on unsupported opinion - including that of your consultant.
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->