Two Mums On Birth Certificate

MaybeMomSarah

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can help me on this one....

Recently, a law was passed in the UK that allows the lesbian partner of a pregnant woman to be named on the child's birth certificate as the 2nd parent. The first one of these was issued back in April.

I want to make sure that the hospital that I am delivering in (Stepping Hill in Stockport) has that form. A few questions....

Who would I speak with to make sure it's available? Midwife? The hospital itself?

How far in advance should I check? I've got some time, but just making sure.

Do we need any kind of proof of partnership? My OH and I were married in the USA, and I have our marriage certificate, as well as my UK visa that names her as my spouse/civil partner.

Thanks all!

I dont know about hospital forms.. but in my area you can also go to the local registry office to register baby, so maybe call them up and check with them?

No, you don't need proof of marriage. You don't need to be CP'ed to both be on the BC. I would check with your hospital that they have the relevant forms, and drum it into your OH to ASK a lot whilst you're in hospital giving birth. Ask every consultant you see, and TELL them. This counts most for the person who delivers your baby. You just need to make sure they know. You don't live too far from us (we live in Chesterfield) so hopefully things should not be too different!
Good luck hun :)

Thanks ladies.

I've emailed the Stockport Registry office to see if they'll need to give Stepping Hill the correct forms. I'll get in touch with the hospital too to make sure they've got the right form.

I just got an email from the registrar...
Regarding your enquiry, there will be no problem for your partner to be shown on your child’s birth certificate as second parent. The criteria is that you have been through a civil partnership ceremony prior to the treatment..
There is no need to request a new version of the birth certificate our programmes are compatible with this new form of registration, no documentation is required to register a baby. Also a registrar attends Stepping Hill Hospital 3 times a week where you will be able to register the birth together.
I hope this information has been of some help but if you require any further advise please do not hesitate to contact this office on 0161 217 6007.

Kind Regards
Susan Hancock
Registrar

I have no idea but wanted to say it's so great they passed that law. Now if the US would just catch up

Its called the "Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008" Here is the link to the Act itself and all of the requirements you have to meet and things you have to do before, during, and after artifical insemination:

https://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2008/pdf/ukpga_20080022_en.pdf

Its called the "Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008" Here is the link to the Act itself and all of the requirements you have to meet and things you have to do before, during, and after artifical insemination:

Goodness that's complicated! Glad I'm in a CP, so I just need to worry about section 42. ;)

Goodness that's complicated! Glad I'm in a CP, so I just need to worry about section 42. ;)

Yeah holy crap right!! I have no idea how people could possibly keep up with all those requirements and things! Thats good you dont have to go through all that. I didn't really know so I just googled it and found the pdf to the act. What is CP?

What is CP?
"Civil Partnership", basically the UK version of "Domestic Partnership" that they have in some US states (ie California). Even though we are technically married (got hitched in MA), they call it a CP here. That's how they've referred to it in the pdf.

From what I can understand of it, if you're CP'ed, you automatically get the right to have the non-bio partner on the birth certificate. If you're not, then there are a few more loops you need to jump through.

What is CP?
"Civil Partnership", basically the UK version of "Domestic Partnership" that they have in some US states (ie California). Even though we are technically married (got hitched in MA), they call it a CP here. That's how they've referred to it in the pdf.

From what I can understand of it, if you're CP'ed, you automatically get the right to have the non-bio partner on the birth certificate. If you're not, then there are a few more loops you need to jump through.

Ohh alright! Yeah in Connecticut (Where I live) and Mass we not only allow civil unions (civil partnerships) but also just passed the law to allow gays/lesbians to marry. So my aunt finally got to marry her long time partner last year. It was really great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->