Types of ultra sounds?

bunnyblonde

Reaction score
so i honestly never knew about transvaginal ultrasounds until i joined this site. its making me very nervous honestly, when in the pregnancy so they stop doing those? because of insurance i won't be having my 1st appointment till january when ill be about 9-10 weeks. Also, a lot of people talk about scheduling scans, when i go in for my 1st appointment will they automatically do an ultra sound or will i have to schedule a separate appointment for that? i know they want me to have blood drawn before then to determine hcg levels but i think I'm going to have to wait until i have insurance. Basically what is a 1st appointment like and will they have to stick something inside of me?

In the US, it's pretty common to have your first appt around 8-10 weeks. It is not necessarily routine to have blood work first. My experience (which seems common) was the first appt involved a long talk about my medical history, and answering questions I had. It is common to also have an abdominal ultrasound as part of this appt. They should definitely not need to do a vaginal at that point unless there was some problem with the baby being MUCH smaller than expected based on your last menstrual period.

Once he confirms the viability of the prgne with ultrasound, my doctor then goes over what additional tests and scans are available or appropriate based on your risk factors (age, family history, etc), and lets you know when/how to schedule them. He also gives lab orders at that point for some routine blood work to check for thyroid problems, HIV and a few other things.

It seems like the frequency of ultrasounds varies a lot with different doctors. Mine usually does the initial one, then sends you to a more advanced office for a very detailed scan of baby's anatomy around 20 weeks (part of this did involve a vaginal scan, but it was not mandatory and not that bad), and then he does one more to check for growth around 35 weeks. Of course, they would do more if there was some perceived need (like suspected slow growth, low fluid, breech position in last 1-2 months). I ended up getting two additional ones - one was specifically to examine a potential problem with my son's heart (thankfully all was fine), and the second was bc they thought he might have gone breech at 37 weeks (he hadn't, just had a bony bum that felt like a skull). However, it seems like some people get them at almost every monthly appointment.

ok great thanks. the thought of having a transvaginal ultrasound skeeves me out

Honestly, the vaginal ultrasound is not that bad. The wand is skinnier than a penis and, even though it looks really long, they don't put the entire thing inside. I wouldn't have one just for fun, but it was not the most unpleasant part of prenatal care.

If you're going to be that far along at your first appointment you could probably ask to do an abdominal one instead. I had a transvaginal scan done at 7 and 9 weeks with DD, but was able to get an abdominal one at 8 weeks with this one. I put the two scan pictures from 7 and 8 weeks side by side and they look pretty much the same!

When I had civilian insurance with DD they just had me come in when I was supposed to be 8-9 weeks and she did an ultrasound at the office then sent me to do all the blood work. I didn't have to wait for any kind of confirmation to start prenatal care (beyond the home pregnancy tests).

i just don't like the thought of objects going inside of me. i had something similar when i was having tests done to find out why i have such a heavy flow and it took a while for me to relax. the machine was really large. I'm fine with tampons but other then that i get really freaked out.

Seriously, its nothing. I've had two of them and they don't hurt, the probe is not large and is the best way to get a clear picture of baby if you are measuring behind or have a retroverted uterus.

Don't psyche yourself up about it in advance, its less invasive and uncomfortable than a smear test!

I've only had one vaginal ultrasound ever, and it was fine. The wand is skinny, very smooth and not at all scary. I hate things being put inside me too and have only had my first ever pap smear test done at age 33. Even that wasn't as bad as I imagined.

The wand for the vaginal scan is just like a really long finger, really, and they stick a condom over it and a bit of lube, it's very narrow and doesn't hurt.

The process of it going in is not bad. I think a Pap smear is much worse.

It kind of hurts when they move it around a lot but my pain tolerance is very low.

I had one today. I honestly think the speculum is a lot worse than a trans u/s. Plus once you see the little bean on the screen you forget about everything else.

I just had one two days ago because I had some bleeding and was checked in the ER. I also have had 3 before with previous pregnancies they seem to use it more often here at least if you are 10 weeks and under. On base its always a trans vaginal for the first and then the anatomy is regular. You will be ok! :flower:

Transvag scans sound worse than they are & itd nothing like a smear test thing so hope it puts your mind at ease, transvag ones are only used in early pg as it detrcts the pregnancy better as its right down low under pubic bone, i had an ultrasound at 7+1 & it was visible on the tummy scanner :)

Your first appointment may just be talking to the nurse, at least mine was. There she scheduled me for a dating scan (even though I knew date of my LMP, and I had never had a scan that early with my oldest), and for my blood work. She then scheduled my next appointment with the actual doctor for a week later, after my u/s.

For the actual u/s, originally it was just supposed to be an abdominal one, but I have a tilted uterus and the tech could not get a good look at baby. It wasn't too bad. I did find it uncomfortable, but I have problems with pap smears and internal checks later on in pregnancy.

I also had a transvaginal scan done at about 28 weeks to check my cervix (I've had LEEP procedures in the past and the doctor that scheduled that, wanted to make sure I didn't have an incompetent cervix, though it should have been done earlier in pregnancy).

Most likely they will not do a transvaginal, unless they can't see the baby clearly through abdominal.

I think they do abdominal after 8 weeks usually. With my daughter I was checked at 6.5 weeks for bleeding and that was abdominal and they saw everything just fine. I had a transvaginal this pregnancy at 6.5 weeks, it was a different clinic. They let me put the wand in myself and it wasnt bad at all. They asked if it was ok first though. Had I said no, Im sure they would have tried abdominal. If you are very nervous of the tv, just request abdominal instead, you're far wnough along it should be fine either way.
As far as booking scans etc. In Canada the first apt is 6 weeks usually, and unless they are unsure of dates or have other complocations, you wont get anything booked then. The next visit is around 12 weeks at which point you can book a scan which is usually 20 weeks unless you opt for the Integrated Prenatal Screening (I have with both of mine) in which case you get one around 12 weeks. Every country is different (every practice even) so it's hard to say what will happen at yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->