U/S tech kept referring to Baby as 'Them'!

KandyKinz

Longtime Mama
Reaction score
Had an u/s today. The tech totally freaked me out as she kept saying 'them' when doing my ultrasound, but there's only 1 baby, I'm pretty sure at least.

Some background, I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 4 days because of some cramping and spotting. The u/s showed ONE baby with a good strong heartbeat and then beside it another sac like blob about the same size as the gestational sac baby was in, but there was no baby in it. The lab report concluded that it was likely a subchorionic hematoma though my doctor said it could have been a failed twin pregnancy. I've known of internet folklore of stories where empty twin sacs later progressed, but figured that wasn't at all likely.

Then today at 10 weeks I went in for a follow up u/s. After they took all the measurements they allowed my family to come in so they and I could see the baby and she said "Okay, lets find THEM for you" and then "Do you want a picture of THEM". But there was clearly only one baby on the screen. My logical brain just assumed that she was just one those new age people into gender neutral pronouns.... Apparently, I'm not quite there yet. I would have preferred 'it' I think, less confusing lol. Then at one point, she moved the transducer over to what looked like where my hemorrhage is (I have a bit of a background in obstetrics, but I really know nothing about ultrasonagraphy imaging) and said "Now if I just move over you can see, oh nevermind baby isn't cooperating" and my logical brain just assumed she was just trying to show us a different view, maybe head on, of baby.

Then we leave.... And my oldest son was all like "Them???? Is there more than one, was there two of them there?"

And now I'm second guessing the whole experience. Rational logical brain is telling me there was clearly just one baby. I keep looking at the pics and there's clearly just one baby..... But then there's this itty bitty part of me thinking :wacko:

Can't get in to my doctor to get my u/s report for another 2 weeks!

Attachments

• babySunshine.jpg
    babySunshine.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 56
Can you call your doc for a follow up? That'd drive me insane!!!

Not until next week, it's a long weekend because of Labour Day.

Where I'm from at least, that's a really normal way to avoid saying him or her. I wouldn't worry! You would've been clearly told if it was twins. And that pic only shows one baby!

I think the tech probably just doesn't like referring to babies as "it" and uses "them" instead of accidentally saying he or she. I agree with pp I can only see one sac and one baby in the picture you've posted

People often use 'them' as a gender neutral term, so I suspect that was all she was doing. I'm pretty sure they would have said something if there was more than one, also it would be noted on the report obviously. All my scan reports have clearly said "single interuterine pregnancy."

It sounds like she was just avoiding saying 'it' as it's quite hard to not say that when you don't know the gender of the baby yet, so 'them' is probably just her way of referring to baby :)

I can see how it could drive you nuts, but I'd definitely agree with the use of "they/them" as a neutral term as opposed to "it" which could be very offensive to some people. It's clear in that ultrasound pic you've posted that there's only one baby. Another sac would show in that view, at least somewhat. The practice I use just says "your baby" instead of using a pronoun. I guess it's better than "them" and less confusing. Perhaps you could suggest just not using pronouns at all??

probably trying to use a nicer term than it maybe or be geder nutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->